How to add blocks in front page (index)?

Started by CityMonster, December 06, 2008, 06:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityMonster

I know this must be a dumb question (newbie for SMF - Joomla expert) but how do I add block in the left and right of the index page?? I just installed my SMF and I'm having a bit of problem achieving this. The default installation only has the forum but no block on the left and right of the site. Can anyone help?

H

Welcome to SMF.
So you're using SMF with Joomla or with an SMF portal system?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

CityMonster

Just the SMF forum (no joomla). I have never worked with any forum before. I have the latest version.

I want it to look like http://demo.dzinerstudio.com/ [nofollow]

Also, I'm missing the word "forum" (the empty space is there) from the user menu (strange). Is this something in the admin or I need to fix? If I need to fix is ok, I can hack it but I don't want to do it if it something that could be done in the admin section.

H

The blocks aren't a default feature of SMF. You'll need to use either Tinyportal or Simpleportal. You may also need some minor manual changes to your theme :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

CityMonster

Thanks for your quick answer:

Ok, cool. Umm, this tiny portal is a mod or plugin? Is it easy to install?

Hope I can be of service for you if you need template or Joomla help :)

jossanaijr

Hi,
I suggest you to use ezPortal or SimplePortal.
TinyPortal is not an official mod of SMF anymore and not so easy to install.

CityMonster

Can't seem to find the installation instructions for SimplePortal anywhere can you link me to it?

jossanaijr

But basically:
#1 Download the mod to your PC (zip file)
#2 Do not unzip it!
#3 Go to your admin section in your forum
#4 Choose Packages > Download Packages > Upload a Package
#5 Follow instructions and it is done!

CityMonster

Thanks, on my way already :)

The front page went blank (is this normal)

Also, I'm missing the word "forum" (the empty space is there) from the user menu (strange). Is this something in the admin or I need to fix? If I need to fix is ok, I can hack it but I don't want to do it if it something that could be done in the admin section?

jossanaijr

Are you using default theme and english language?
If not you will need to manually install the mod editing the php files.

CityMonster

Antechinus

Quote from: jossanaijr on December 06, 2008, 06:51:35 PM
Hi,
I suggest you to use ezPortal or SimplePortal.
TinyPortal is not an official mod of SMF anymore and not so easy to install.

I'd suggest otherwise. In my experience Tiny Portal installs straight through the package manager and is vastly more capable than the alternatives. I've used it for a year now with no problems and highly recommend it.   

CityMonster

I will keep that in mind. Thanks

You work for DzinerStudio?

Antechinus

I'm support staff over there.

Anyway if you are going to install TP it makes sense to do it before installing other mods (if at all possible). The reason is that TP is such a large mod that it is usually easier to edit small mods around TP if necessary than doing it the other way around.

If you're installing TP straight on top of a fresh (or at least unmodified) SMF installation then there shouldn't be any dramas with it. If you already have mods and you get conflicts in the pre-installation check these can be dealt with by checking the manual installation instructions over at TP. The edits aren't really that bad for anyone used to dealing with templates and it'd be rare for all of them to need doing manually.

Oldiesmann

TinyPortal doesn't work with SMF 2.0 yet, but it is easy to install.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Antechinus

Oops. Didn't read the board heading as I just picked this out of the stack of unread stuff.

City Monster: at the moment Tiny Portal isn't ready for SMF 2. This is largely because the main dev for TP is also the main dev for SMF, so he's rather busy at the moment. They are starting to work on converting TP though.

You can also try PortaMx, which is only available for SMF 2 and is an official SMF mod (for those who worry about such things).

Advertisement: