News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Why cant editing the navbar be simple?

Started by ~kev~, December 07, 2008, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~kev~

Why cant there be a simple way to edit the navbar? 

Antechinus

It is simple. Once you've done one button the rest are easy. I realise getting the idea can be difficult at first if you haven't had to do it before, but instructions are readily available.

~kev~

Thank you for the reply.

But, like you said, "once you have done one button the rest are easy" and "getting the idea can be difficult at first....."

Why do we have to do one button, and why does it have to be difficult?  <-- You do not have to answer that question, its just food for thought. 

Why cant editing the NAVBAR be as simple as adding an HTML <a href=" link?  Is there a real and definite need to have the navbar so complex?  In other words, does it "have" to be this way?  If the navbar does "have" to be this way, "why" does it have to be so complex?

I run several websites and several forums.  Having to learn coding for every platform is difficult.  I already have enough to do keeping up with security patches, posting articles, backups, problem members......  I am sure you understand. 

Antechinus

Fair points, which is why the system was changed for SMF 2. In SMF 2 you only have to edit the menu once (in Sources/Subs.php) and it is automatically applied to all themes. Unfortunately this can not be made a retrospective modification for SMF 1.1.x. 

If you're stuck with doing any buttons for various mods just take a look through the support thread for that mod and post a question if you don't see the solution already in the thread.

Advertisement: