Missing $txt[] strings and language issues.

Started by jeremycollins, December 09, 2008, 10:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremycollins

Hi!

I installed the mod and modified the template file for my custom theme, but in the Features and Options section, I don't see the settings for the Custom Profile Fields.  Why isn't this working?

Rumbaar

Set your forum and personal account language settings to english will most likely solved this issue.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 09, 2008, 11:04:16 PM
Set your forum and personal account language settings to english will most likely solved this issue.

Thank you for your reply!  My forum's default language (as well as mine) is already set to English.  What else could the problem be?

Edit:  Also, I tried the core theme, and still no luck :( It installed successfully, according to the installer.

jeremycollins

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 09, 2008, 11:45:57 PM
Link to forum?  Have you been able to install other mods without issue?

www.unitedgeeksociety.com

No, but I haven't given it much time.  This is my first mod so far, besides one that I tried earlier but gave up on it. It didn't give errors, it was just a lot of modifications that I wasn't quite sure on what to do.

Rumbaar

Quote from: jeremycollins on December 09, 2008, 11:27:48 PMThank you for your reply!  My forum's default language (as well as mine) is already set to English.  What else could the problem be?
No it's not, your default server language is set too english-utf8!!  Change it to your english and disable the ability for others to choose their own language.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

I didn't think they were different...sorry!  However, in the choose language box, all of them have UTF8 on them.  There is only one english and its english utf8

Rumbaar

No each language is a specific set of files, so all are different and not the same.  This is not longer a mod specific issue, but how did you install the forum.  Most like Fantastico, which unless you've manually deleted those 'plain' english files, will be present.  I'd advice to take another look.

english is the default installed language for any SMF install I can't see how it's not there, with either method used to install.

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 10, 2008, 08:07:45 PM
No each language is a specific set of files, so all are different and not the same.  This is not longer a mod specific issue, but how did you install the forum.  Most like Fantastico, which unless you've manually deleted those 'plain' english files, will be present.  I'd advice to take another look.

english is the default installed language for any SMF install I can't see how it's not there, with either method used to install.

Its not there!

Rumbaar

and you never got any missing language file warnings when you tried to install the mod?  FTP in your Themes/default/langauges folder and check you don't have index.english.php and other english related files.

How did you install your forum?

You can download the plain english pack from here http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?languages

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

Ok, so there isnt an english file.  all the files say Error.languagename.php, like errors.english.php, errors.danish.php. etc. What do I do?

Rumbaar

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 10, 2008, 08:20:47 PMHow did you install your forum?

You can download the plain english pack from here http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?languages
But you posted errors.english.php, that is one of the files in the plain english pack!

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 10, 2008, 08:30:23 PM
Quote from: Rumbaar on December 10, 2008, 08:20:47 PMHow did you install your forum?

But you posted errors.english.php, that is one of the files in the plain english pack!

Ok, but its not english.php...there isn't an english.php, just an errors.english.php.

jeremycollins

Ok, I downloaded and copied all the files from the English language files from the link you gave me earlier.  I copied the files and now have an English option in Admin panel.  I changed it to admin, but then got this message at the top of my site:

\'s'. $txt['preview_title'] = 'Preview post'; $txt['preview_fetch'] = 'Fetching preview...'; $txt['preview_new'] = 'New message'; $txt['error_while_submitting'] = 'The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:'; $txt['split_selected_posts'] = 'Selected posts'; $txt['split_selected_posts_desc'] = 'The posts below will form a new topic after splitting.'; $txt['split_reset_selection'] = 'reset selection'; $txt['modify_cancel'] = 'Cancel'; $txt['mark_read_short'] = 'Mark Read'; $txt['pm_short'] = 'My Messages'; $txt['hello_member_ndt'] = 'Hello'; $txt['ajax_in_progress'] = 'Loading...'; ?>tallation you will need the code purchased from the Simple Machines website. If you have not yet purchased a code please click here. Once the code has been entered and verified the copyright will be hidden until your subscription expires. The time remaining will be shown on the admin center.'; $txt['copyright_code'] = 'Copyright Code'; $txt['copyright_failed'] = 'Sorry - but the code you entered is incorrect. Please ensure that your forum URL matches that entered when purchasing the subscription.'; $txt['copyright_proceed'] = 'Proceed'; ?>

But on the bright side, the custom profile options are now available!  Just what do I do about this error?

EDIT:  Now, when I reloaded the page, this error is in place of the previous one:

# \'s'. $txt['preview_title'] = 'Preview post'; $txt['preview_fetch'] = 'Fetching preview...'; $txt['preview_new'] = 'New message'; $txt['error_while_submitting'] = 'The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:'; $txt['split_selected_posts'] = 'Selected posts'; $txt['split_selected_posts_desc'] = 'The posts below will form a new topic after splitting.'; $txt['split_reset_selection'] = 'reset selection'; $txt['modify_cancel'] = 'Cancel'; $txt['mark_read_short'] = 'Mark Read'; $txt['pm_short'] = 'My Messages'; $txt['hello_member_ndt'] = 'Hello'; $txt['ajax_in_progress'] = 'Loading...'; ?>tallation you will need the code purchased from the Simple Machines website. If you have not yet purchased a code please click here. Once the code has been entered and verified the copyright will be hidden until your subscription expires. The time remaining will be shown on the admin center.'; $txt['copyright_code'] = 'Copyright Code'; $txt['copyright_failed'] = 'Sorry - but the code you entered is incorrect. Please ensure that your forum URL matches that entered when purchasing the subscription.'; $txt['copyright_proceed'] = 'Proceed'; ?>ren\'t.  Censored Words In order to keep the language on your forum under control, you can censor certain words. This function allows you to convert forbidden words into innocent versions.
# Topic Settings Modify the settings related to topics. The number of topics per page, whether stickey topics are enabled or not, the number of messages needed for a topic to be hot, etc.
'; ?>ed)'; $txt['cache_level3'] = 'Level 3 Caching (Not Recommended)'; $txt['cache_memcached'] = 'Memcache settings'; ?>

Rumbaar

Well once again not mod specific issues, I'll probably split these off to your own thread, but take a look at index.english.php as it appears to be incorrectly uploaded.  Text is outside of the normal <$php tags.  I'm surprised you didn't get any 'are you sure you want to override these files' warnings when you upload those language files.  Also surprised you've not gotten errors during mod installation without those files.  I'm also wondering why I've asked three times how you installed your forum, so I can better asses the issues, and you've not answered.

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 10, 2008, 09:49:33 PM
Well once again not mod specific issues, I'll probably split these off to your own thread, but take a look at index.english.php as it appears to be incorrectly uploaded.  Text is outside of the normal <$php tags.  I'm surprised you didn't get any 'are you sure you want to override these files' warnings when you upload those language files.  Also surprised you've not gotten errors during mod installation without those files.  I'm also wondering why I've asked three times how you installed your forum, so I can better asses the issues, and you've not answered.

I apologize for not recognizing your question.  I must have read over it.  I installed via fantastico. 

Rumbaar

When did you install it?  Did you not manually remove the english languages files?  The reason I ask is the installation of english should be the default installation via Fantastico and will have to take this up with them if it's not the case.  Can you ask you host what version of Fantastico they are using.  What version of SMF did it install?

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 10, 2008, 10:48:33 PM
When did you install it?  Did you not manually remove the english languages files?  The reason I ask is the installation of english should be the default installation via Fantastico and will have to take this up with them if it's not the case.  Can you ask you host what version of Fantastico they are using.  What version of SMF did it install?

I installed my forum just two or three days ago.  I manually added the new english files which I downloaded from Simple Machines, but I didn't remove any files.  It installed SMF 1.1.7.  I contacted my host and they told me they use the latest stable version of Fantastico.  I just don't know what to do here, and I am eager to launch my community. 

Rumbaar

Once they have been installed you can proceed as normal.  You might want to add any mod specific $txt[] strings to those newly install language files.  But in future it should automatically install correctly to that language.

[ Themes ]

jeremycollins

So, how do I get rid of this message?  I already  had the language files installed...that was when the error originally appeared.

Rumbaar

How did you extract and upload all the 26 or so .english.php langauge files?

Try to upload them again.

Okay I just performed a test install using Fantastico on my host and installed 1.1.7 with english, english-utf8 and english-british-utf8 language files.  You need to talk to your host about installation issues if this wasn't the case for your fresh installations.  As it appears to be not correct on your end.

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: