News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mod - Verification image at registration

Started by akyhne, December 13, 2008, 01:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marzi

OK.
I went to your 1.1.x  test site yesterday and tested the mod and it worked fine for me (Windows 2000 professional+Firefox 3).
I then installed on one of my sites (described earlier) and will give you relevant feedback.

Akyhne

Akyhne

Quote from: marzi on April 03, 2009, 03:00:01 PM
OK.
I went to your 1.1.x  test site yesterday and tested the mod and it worked fine for me (Windows 2000 professional+Firefox 3).
I then installed on one of my sites (described earlier) and will give you relevant feedback.

Feedback?

Akyhne

Finally, finally, finally... YEEESSSSS, for the first time I could confirm this mod to work. Not only one, but even 2 of my forums were attacked within an hour from the same bot.

It took 2-3 minutes to make exact 7 attacks in each forum, probably "that long" as the browser cache has to be emptied and/or the browser has to be closed to make another attempt (or banning time has to run out). Hmm, does the bots even use a regular browser to hack... I really don't know.

Akyhne

Checked for support of SMF 1.1.9 & SMF 2.0 RC1-1

clashbot

got a weird issue, when using this on one of my sites. None of the avatars are showing up, just red lines.

Akyhne

Try disabling the TP block. What does your error log say?

clashbot

turned off the tp block, no change, error log shows this Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member  Guest    Today at 07:45:16 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 6f5379720c6b487f0a6c06ec5ccf5847
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL http://www.clan-ascension.org/index.php?pretty;action=register
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Undefined index: approved_image_verification
File: /home/content/g/w/y/gwyndion6977/html/Themes/default/Register.template.php (eval?)
Line: 99

Akyhne

What other mods regarding spam check do you have installed? Can you attach register.template.php?

clashbot

only other spam mode is the anti-spam verification questions. Screenshot of installed mods, and register.template.php

Akyhne

I have no issues running anti spam verification questions along with my mod, although I have to install anti spam verification questions first, then my mod.

What folders are you using for the avatars? Any custom folders?

clashbot

no, no custom avatars at allstill only have the default set

clashbot

funny thing is, it works on my other forums, but all the settings are the same, as well as the mods

Akyhne

Your Register.template.php compares exactly to mine... strange.

Quote from: clashbot on June 01, 2009, 08:27:17 AM
funny thing is, it works on my other forums, but all the settings are the same, as well as the mods

Well, that's great to hear at least. Was you bothered a lot with spammers?

Only thing I can suggest for now is to run the Repair Settings tool to check wether your paths are correct: http://download.simplemachines.org/?tools

Akyhne

Ok, I found out why it doesn't work. It is because you don't allow guests to access your forum. Whenever I disable guest access, it doesn't work on my forums as well.

clashbot

yep, that was it...thanks
atleast I still have a little hair left, and didn't pull out all of it. Great mod btw, look forward to an official release on the mods

clashbot

one little caveat though...appears the verification is stuck in session or cookie, not sure which...

Steps to reproduce:
register, pass verification
don't go any further with registration and login with account already in place
log out
register again
goes straight to the normal capcha registration, bypassing the avatar

might be something to think about for public computers...

Akyhne

I don't think it will be released as I don't have the time and skills to support it.

I found the "error" and corrected it. I just need to test wether it works in all SMF versions and then upload it here. In the mean time, just uninstall your current version, and I will be right back.

Akyhne

Quote from: clashbot on June 01, 2009, 08:49:09 AM
one little caveat though...appears the verification is stuck in session or cookie, not sure which...

Steps to reproduce:
register, pass verification
don't go any further with registration and login with account already in place
log out
register again
goes straight to the normal capcha registration, bypassing the avatar

might be something to think about for public computers...

I'm aware of that, but I don't see it as an issue. Bots don't register more than one account each time, not to drag attension.

clashbot

k, and it's too bad there won't be an official release, I actually prefer this one to most of the anti-spam captures...

Really wish I knew php more  :P

Advertisement: