News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

custom titles replace default rank?

Started by moonlightkisu, December 19, 2008, 09:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlightkisu

Well, this is something i've been trying to do. I want a user's custom title to replace their default rank when they choose it, and I only want custom usertitles to be to changed in SMF shop .. not in their profile. I only want this for regular members, not mods or admins.

For example, these are how my ranks look now for members (see attachment.)

my default ranks for new members are "new moon".
the custom usertitle i've chosen for this test member is "is kabuki's favorite!"

I only want the custom title to be shown if changed, not both the custom title and default rank. I want this true for message view, profile view, and member list view.

what i'd like to do is replace the default rank for members with the usertitle/custom text they have chosen. So instead of two titles (custom title and default rank), there will only be a custom title.

If the member does not change or buy their custom title in SMF shop, then it will stay as the default rank only.

How difficult will that be able to do? any help will be appreciated.

Also, I can't find a way to disable the 'custom text' field in new registrations for regular members. I want mods and admins to be able to change their custom text, but I don't want new users to be able to change their custom text unless its in SMF shop (which I currently don't have installed, but will install later.) I want them to pay points for that priviledge like in vbulletin.

Night09

To stop them from editing it themselves go into admin/permissions/settings and enable the option to deny.

Then tab permissions by membergroup click modify for the group you want to stop and then deny them access to Edit custom title. Only the groups allowed will be able to do this then.

Be carefull not to allow or disable anything by accident.

moonlightkisu

Thanks for your help, but that didn't seem to work ..

I don't want to deny them perminantly a custom usertitle. Just until they buy it themselves in SMF shop with points.

When I was logged in as a test member, denying the permissions as an admin for members to edit their custom title didn't work. I was still able to edit my custom title as a member.

Also, do you know how to do the custom hack I mentioned above? :)

Night09

What I thought was you could stop new registations from setting their ranks themselves but if they buy one they move group to one that can set the rank so you have control over who can and cant set their rank.Also it means admin or moderators ect can set the rank still so as not to restrict your overall control over the ranking.

Double check post based groups dont overide membergroup settings if they still can edit the rank.The other option is to create a test rank and double check you got the correct permissions set to maake it do as intended.

greyknight17

Is this issue resolved now?

If not, this looks like a question that can be posted in the SMF Shop's topic instead. The users and author there may be able to help you out more on this since they are probably more familiar with it.

Advertisement: