News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Member Group Madness.

Started by wakewatcher, December 22, 2008, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakewatcher

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around all the permissions, inherited groups, etc.  I have a basic question.  So I've set up some boards and have groups dedicated to their matching board.  My question is there a notion of membergroup administrator?  That is not full administration privileges but can assign and manage the members of a certain group.  For example when a regular member requests membership that the membergroup administrator gets notification instead/in addition to the forum administrator.  The MGA (membergroup administrator) could ban effective add/change delete members. If deleting they would revert to a regular member as only the head cheese (me) could make the decision to actually send a regular member to outer darkness. Is this possible? 
smf 2.0.18

Tyrsson

Go to:

AdminCp>membergroups>edit (or create if needed)

Look for this section:

Group Type:     
Select Group Type Private (Membership must be assigned)
Requestable (User may request membership)
Free (User may leave and join group at will)
Post Based (Membership based on post count)
Moderators:
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

wakewatcher

Thanks.  This isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for the ability to assign someone as a "membergroup adminitrator."  Such that when someone requests membership in that group it goes to him for approval instead of or addition to approval by the general administrators. Also as mentioned such that the administrator can remove users from his group.
smf 2.0.18

Tyrsson

Lets see here...

Assign the permission to your global mod to be able to assign membergroups.

wakewatcher

hmmm.  The idea is I'm going to have several membergroups I'm looking for the capability of the a specific group administrator to administrate only for an assigned group.  Not every group.  What is needed is (in addition to the global mod) a membergroup administrator per membergroup.
smf 2.0.18

Tyrsson

I think you will need a mod for this.

You can assign a group moderator but not a group admin as far as I know.

greyknight17

Is this issue resolved now?

If not, may I ask what you will need this administrator group for? Like what will be the purpose of it and how it will work in the forum. Once we get a better understanding of why you need this group, we may have other ways to accomplish this task.

wakewatcher

Thanks for asking.  I have this notion of teams and the forum consist of all the teams.  Within the forum all members can look at some standard stuff but only members of a certain team can look at their own team stuff.  So the idea is when I have a team leader sign up his team. I give them a space.  The space is a pre-built team category (which I haven't quite yet figured out how to automatically build but am working on that with category create functions etc. but I digress) with pre-built boards in that category.  Right now when your non team leader registers I have to verify with the team leader that he is really on his team before assigning him the group associated with that team leader.  The idea is that a new member can 'request' membership to that group and then the what I've called the group administrator can accept/reject membership based on recognizing the requestee.  Otherwise I have to funnel verification to team leaders manually.  I'm trying to get out of the loop other than to accept the general membership. Hope I'm explaining this ok.
smf 2.0.18

greyknight17

Hmmm....the closest thing I found that can do this is the Group Moderator mod, but unfortunately it's only for 1.1.x. Perhaps the author will update it to work with SMF 2.0 once it becomes a stable release.

Advertisement: