News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

An SMF CMS?

Started by Jeff Lewis, February 18, 2005, 11:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipdawg

I know I'm liking TinyPortal more and more. And as a addon it is a great thing. I think after SMF 1.1 final comes along I just may jump in more with it. Just playing with it on a test forum now.

A CMS is a cool idea but for some of us it is a little bit of over kill maybe. Not sure only dabbled with some of the opensource CMS last year and just did not find them to suit my wants and needs.

A portal however is cool for what I have going. I guess if you have many things like a forum, wiki, blog and such a CMS would be great to have.
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

Leipe Po

but this idea is dead if you dont get premmision to distribute the smf files from lewis media....
There is only one thing more importend to me then coding:
My Girlfriend

Microsoft - "You've got questions.  We've got dancing paperclips."

Harzem

We don't need to distribute any SMF files. We will just distribute our own files, and if needed, a modification package to modify SMF to work with the CMS.

hugocz

My opinion on SMF CMS is that it would "rule the internet!" if it would be coded like this great forum  ;)

Doug

Quote from: eldacar on April 28, 2006, 12:20:30 AM
QuoteAll copyright notices within source files and as generated by the Software as output are retained, unchanged.
It says that it must be displayed unchanged.

Consider yourselves lucky that we allow you to change the CSS at all.

We bow down and give thanks.

YAP Portal

DreamBliss

So what's the situation on this? Also are there any CMSs out there that easily can or are already made to integrate with Simple Machines?
- Deathbliss

Roi Danton

I don't think that a SMF CMS is that useful to waste much time with it. It is more reasonable to bridge SMF with other CMS.

Reasons:
  • Exisiting CMS have already that what a user expects from a CMS and are developed well (Drupal, Joomla, ...)
  • A potential SMF CMS will never get that quality of well-developed CMS (at least not in two/three years)
  • But the most important: SMF needs more native forum features like custom user fields etc. etc. to remain competitive, so don't waste your valuable time on developing a CMS instead of developing SMF itself, please.
It is better to concentrate all your efforts you give to SMF on the forum itself b/c SMF should do _that_ job well.

SOcRatEs120

Quote from: Roi Danton on June 30, 2006, 05:29:31 AM
I don't think that a SMF CMS is that useful to waste much time with it. It is more reasonable to bridge SMF with other CMS.

Reasons:
  • Existing CMS have already that what a user expects from a CMS and are developed well (Drupal, Joomla, ...)
  • A potential SMF CMS will never get that quality of well-developed CMS (at least not in two/three years)
  • But the most important: SMF needs more native forum features like custom user fields etc. etc. to remain competitive, so don't waste your valuable time on developing a CMS instead of developing SMF itself, please.
It is better to concentrate all your efforts you give to SMF on the forum itself b/c SMF should do _that_ job well.
I couldn't dis-agree more, from a new persons perspective.
SMF will take it's time in the lime light because they don't leave out the little guy.
One stop shopping smf/cms/etc.  SMF already surpasses ease of use over most cms's out there.
My last attempt at cms was MODx complete failure. I've tried everything avail. They all have way too high a learning curve.
I've settled on wordpress/smf/alsClassifieds. I would like nothing better than to template/skin out my whole site with "smFox - Rediscover SMF"
My hack attempt www.my-yardsale.com
Courage is not an absence of fear but doing inspite of it!

X-Ception

Quote from: Deathbliss on June 30, 2006, 04:51:31 AM
So what's the situation on this? Also are there any CMSs out there that easily can or are already made to integrate with Simple Machines?
- Deathbliss
There are a few:

• Mambo/Joomla - via bridge or intergration, Stable
  • Xoops - Bridge, Alpha release, unstable
  • XCMS - intergration/Bridge, no public release yet to my knowledge
  • PHPNuke - SMFNuke, intergration, stable
  • PostBuke - Module/intergration, unstable
  • MkPortal - Bridge/Frontend, stable, does require small hack for wrapped effect
  • SubDreamer - Bridge, frontend, stable, unsure on hacking
There are more announced daily.
Joolo.net social community and irc network / Yowzar - random subject forum

krillin63

::cricket cricket::  :D This still in the works? :)

Fiery

Quote from: HarzeM on May 20, 2006, 09:36:58 AM

Just wait about a month ;) It's on its way ;)

Its well over a month :P

The One

Ok. after reading through most of the thread, here's my 2 cents.
I think the SMP name sounds the best, it relates a lot to the SMF name and is short, sweet and descriptive.

As for the databases, I would think there should be 2 separate databases so that the forum could be used independently by people who did not want the portal (why would they not want it  ???)
The problem is choice

christicehurst

Tiny Portal ins't a CMS, right?
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

amyc

Cool idea  ;D  I would really like to see this, it is much easier if the admin controls are the same as SMF.

bloc

Quote from: christicehurst on October 30, 2006, 07:29:39 PM
Tiny Portal ins't a CMS, right?
No, it isn't. :) And I hope people stop thinking it is...its a portal for SMF, nothing else.

Panzer-

Are we allowed to start a CMS based on SMF as long as it keeps full copyright? I would use the forum as a base and work up from there.

Dannii

You can, but you can't release SMF with it.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Panzer-

QuoteYou can, but you can't release SMF with it.
If i did start developing one, it would make minimal changes to the forum software.

Dannii

Yep, and you could release those changes as a mod :)
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

The One

Quote from: eldʌkaː on November 03, 2006, 10:17:39 PM
You can, but you can't release SMF with it.
I'm more of a spectator here, but why can't we release SMF with it.
I thought we could do anything as long as we kept the copyrights.
The problem is choice

Advertisement: