News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

YaBB versus SMF

Started by roxpace, February 19, 2005, 01:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roxpace

I noticed that YaBB still exists which for example Jeff Lewis was involved into.

I got a curious question concering those two applications. Does anyone have any list comparings between those two in features and performance since both are still getting developed ?
Always keep an eye on the latest from me at ...
http://www.jump-gate.com/

[Unknown]

There have been tests, and if you server is properly configured for the software they can be comparable, but most servers are configured for PHP and not for mod_perl... and when the forums get larger, relational databases start to become more necessary... with row level locking, etc.

Anyway, we're biassed here and it's hard to answer your question given that.

-[Unknown]

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: roxpace on February 19, 2005, 01:29:53 AM
I noticed that YaBB still exists which for example Jeff Lewis was involved into.

I haven't been involved in the project for several years now I think. There have been several changes and improvements in the YaBB software yet still several things the same...I always tell people to test both out and then come to their decision.
Co-Founder of SMF

roxpace

Thanks for the answers even if they was very short :)

I do have both the great mod_perl and PHP installed on some servers and could test them... Well, I thought that maybe someone already had done that with written down result. Most probably I am anyway going to throw out all our PHPBB since the bug in 2.0.10 (the release is now 2.0.11), but that bug was so terrible that I feel no trust for that package anymore. I will install SMF on a few more busy sites to run it for real...

Always keep an eye on the latest from me at ...
http://www.jump-gate.com/

[Unknown]

There actually have been such comparisons, with wide numbers of softwares involved, but they were done by other people in closed environments, and I cannot in good confidence post the results here.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: