News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on January 29, 2012, 08:58:00 AM
It depends.

What version of SMF are you using? - The SQL queries are different for SMF 1.1.x or 2.0.x

Why the proper installation didn't work for you? - Normally nobody has problems installing this mod with the Packages Manager unless you have already installed another mod not compatible with this one. If you tell me exactly what error messages you got when trying to install the mod with the Packages Manager I can tell you why you couldn't install it.

Hi and many thanks for the quick reply.

I am using 2.0.2

I don't really know what went wrong, the FTP upload test said successful, but no files were modified and no SQL queries written. So I made the file changes manually, but I miss the SQL queries. Could you post them? Many thanks!

snoopy_virtual

What FTP transfer? You are not supposed to install a mod using FTP.

Why didn't you use the Packages Manager?

Anyway, if you have started already doing manual changes to files, maybe is too late to use the Packages Manager now, unless you un-do manually all the changes again.

And anyway, the SQL queries will depend on exactly what changes have you made to the files, because there are a few different ways of doing those changes. Which one did you follow? I mean: Where did you get the list of the changes needed for this mod and exactly on what point in that list are you just now?

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on January 29, 2012, 09:23:17 AM
What FTP transfer? You are not supposed to install a mod using FTP.

Why didn't you use the Packages Manager?

Anyway, if you have started already doing manual changes to files, maybe is too late to use the Packages Manager now, unless you un-do manually all the changes again.

And anyway, the SQL queries will depend on exactly what changes have you made to the files, because there are a few different ways of doing those changes. Which one did you follow? I mean: Where did you get the list of the changes needed for this mod and exactly on what point in that list are you just now?

the package manager asks for FTP Login to make changes, that is what I meant. I never really understood why SMF's package manager doesn't work as well as let's say Wordpress' but that's a different issue.

I have followed the changes from the parse function of the mod page, which lists all the changes that should be applied, which I did (except those for additional languages).

snoopy_virtual

If the package manager asked you for FTP Login to make changes, you have something wrong there. You are not going to be able to install any mod properly doing it that way.

Anyway, that's another different problem now that you have done all the changes "parsed" on that list. The next time you are going to install another mod you should ask for help to learn how to install a mod properly. It's a lot easier and faster once you know how to do it.

But just now, if you are sure you have done properly all the changes in the "parsed" list, follow these steps:

-Take the attached file "install_2.php". (Don't use the one inside the package StopSpammer_v2_3_9.zip because that one was not executable. Use the one I have attached today to this post)

-Upload that file to the root of your forum. In your case I suppose it would be http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/

-Visit the file just once with any browser to execute it. That's it: Visit the web page http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/install_2.php

-As soon as you see a sign saying "Database changes done", delete that file from your server.

-Do the last instruction on the list, uploading 4 files to your forum:

QuoteFile Operations
Move the included file "StopSpammer.php" to "./Sources".
Move the included file "spammer.gif" to "./Themes/default/images/icons".
Move the included file "suspect.gif" to "./Themes/default/images/icons".
Move the included file "moreinfo.gif" to "./Themes/default/images/icons".

-Check the configuration page from this mod to be sure it's working properly. That would be in your case: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=regcenter;sa=settings

-Click on the checkbox "Enable/Disable MOD Stop Spammer" and save the settings.

If you have done everything properly you should see a green sign saying: "Mod Stop Spammer is ON, it is up-to-date and the connection with Stop Forum Spam is perfect.". If you cannot see it let me know.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on January 29, 2012, 10:16:03 AM
If the package manager asked you for FTP Login to make changes, you have something wrong there. You are not going to be able to install any mod properly doing it that way.

Anyway, that's another different problem now that you have done all the changes "parsed" on that list. The next time you are going to install another mod you should ask for help to learn how to install a mod properly. It's a lot easier and faster once you know how to do it

I agree :)

But just now, if you are sure you have done properly all the changes in the "parsed" list, follow these steps:

-Take the attached file "install_2.php". (Don't use the one inside the package StopSpammer_v2_3_9.zip because that one was not executable. Use the one I have attached today to this post)

-Upload that file to the root of your forum. In your case I suppose it would be http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/

-Visit the file just once with any browser to execute it. That's it: Visit the web page http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/install_2.php

-As soon as you see a sign saying "Database changes done", delete that file from your server.

that does not work. chmodded the file correctly, but all I get is a blank screen. does it need any other files in the root directory to work?

-Do the last instruction on the list, uploading 4 files to your forum:

QuoteFile Operations
Move the included file "StopSpammer.php" to "./Sources".
Move the included file "spammer.gif" to "./Themes/default/images/icons".
Move the included file "suspect.gif" to "./Themes/default/images/icons".
Move the included file "moreinfo.gif" to "./Themes/default/images/icons".
they are already in place

-Check the configuration page from this mod to be sure it's working properly. That would be in your case: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=regcenter;sa=settings

-Click on the checkbox "Enable/Disable MOD Stop Spammer" and save the settings.

If you have done everything properly you should see a green sign saying: "Mod Stop Spammer is ON, it is up-to-date and the connection with Stop Forum Spam is perfect.". If you cannot see it let me know.

these steps I had already done, and the MOD is already green and "working", but as I said, there were never any database changes made I suppose, to a lot of the actual functions of the mod won't work, such as reporting users etc. I created an "is_spammer" column in the database, but that's really not sufficient :)

thanks for your help, I think we're getting close

snoopy_virtual

that does not work. chmodded the file correctly, but all I get is a blank screen. does it need any other files in the root directory to work?

Don't use the one inside the package StopSpammer_v2_3_9.zip because that one was not executable. Use the one I have attached today to my last post.

I can see it still says "downloaded 0 times".

Inside the root of your forum you must have a lot of files, like agreement.txt, index.php, SSI.php, Settings.php, etc.

TarantinoArchives

I am sorry, must've misunderstood that part. Followed the instructions and seems to work now. Many many thanks! Now that I am able to use the mod, may I make a feature suggestion?

Once I click "report selected", it might be cool to have a "report, ban and delete selected" :) or is that somewhere and I am not seeing it?

Again, many thanks and keep up the great work!

snoopy_virtual

As I have already explained a couple of times, I stopped being interested in using SMF for my forums a year ago, so I am not developing any more software for SMF (or adding any more things to software done previously).

As soon as Wedge is finished I will move all my forums to it and I will continue developing my anti-spam mods for Wedge.

I am here only trying to help people with the mods I did, because I feel I am responsible for giving that kind of support, but as I said I am not interested in continue developing them here.

TarantinoArchives

interesting, I will keep an eye out for Wedge

dyndev

I've just installed this on a forum and it's works great, thanks :)

TarantinoArchives

the problem I have is that still hundreds of spammers register every day. while they are properly detected and I can review them, I don't want them to even be able to register... that's why I am going through all the trouble... any hints?

snoopy_virtual

I have in all my sites the best firewall available, Crawltrack, from http://www.crawltrack.net/ as a first protection. Then I have in all my forums mod httpBL, mod StopSpammer and one good anti-spam question. With the firewall and these 3 anti-spam protections working together, the last time one spammer managed to register in one of my forums was more than 2 years ago.

Did you read this tutorial?:

http://www.snoopyvirtualstudio.com/tutoriales/index.php?estudio=httpBL_2;language=english

PopUpSteve

I use a three tier system to block spammers.

• I installed "notCaptcha" to stop the spambots. This has worked great for the last 9 months, catching lion's share of the spammers.
  • Next I have "Stop Spammer" for the spammers who still like to register the old fashion way.
  • Lastly, I have been building a ban list. Every time "Stop Spammer" catches a spammer (mayby 2 a week), I see if they are coming in from a country that has no business on my site and by doing a "whois" on their I.P. I can optain the range. Then I add that to my ban list.
I have an average of 800 attempted spam hit a day but using the above I only have to deal with maybe 2 per week.
Steve
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital."

snoopy_virtual

The last time I had to deal with one spammer was 2 years ago. And I have 10 forums.

PopUpSteve

Well, when I say "deal" I mean where it gets as far as step #3 and I have to add them to my Ban List and delete them from the requested registration list. But I have not had any get past that point in almost a year.
Steve

snoopy_virtual

That's what I mean.

In my forums they never reach that point, so mod StopSpammer never has to stop any of them and I don't need to do anything. Everything is automatic.

In fact I keep mod StopSpammer in my forums just like a last security measure (just in case) but I never see it working, because spammers never reach it, so every time I want to check if StopSpammer is working properly or not, I need to de-activate the other anti-spam programs.

PopUpSteve

Wow, that's impressive, I will look into using your methods. Thanks
Steve

reddriver

I have this problem after upgrade forum to 2.02

I installed the mod but seems that didn't install nothing after changed in Sources/ManageRegistration.php , Sources/ManageMembers.php , Sources/Subs.php e Modifications.english.php ( where give me error ) i got this (look to image )
I have 2tone like theme
any help will be appreciate
thanks

snoopy_virtual

How did you install it? Using the Package Manager or manually using the parser?

reddriver

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on March 05, 2012, 12:41:21 PM
How did you install it? Using the Package Manager or manually using the parser?

package manager and btw also httpBL mod have the same problem . installed but nothing

Advertisement: