News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GadgetNutt

So is the file that Snoop put up the most current with all the fixes to date?

http://www.snoopyvirtualstudio.com/descargas/temp/StopSpammer_v2_3.zip

If so I will try it now.

Thanks, Mark
As always,
Thank You to this forum and its support people.

Mark

catfished

Quote from: catfished on September 13, 2009, 06:38:04 PM
Thanks chrishicks, I noticed that but wasn't sure about it. I just tried it on my biggest forum so we'll see what happens.

OK I tested it by registering as a known spammer and it asked for admin approval so it's evidently working again. I hope registering as a spammer using my regular internet IP number didn't put me on a spam list. I simply rejected the registration, I certainly didn't report it.

I'll do the same to my other 1.1.0 forums but one of them is version 2.0 RC2, is it an identical file overwrite for 2.0?
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

danjam

Quote from: Bob Mueller on September 09, 2009, 06:05:02 PMdanjam, thanks for your work, but it appears it may be a while for M-DVD to fix this. Checking his profile shows he hasn't been on in a long time:

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on September 10, 2009, 07:46:18 AMI think you could have told them exactly how to fix it.  ;)

Yes I could, but I prefer to leave this stuff to the mod creator. If I had realised M-DVD wasn't available I would have done so, sorry :(

Thanks for the 2.3 update snoopy_virtual, working 100% on several installs here :)

quatermass

Quote from: Bob Mueller on September 13, 2009, 05:06:35 PM
I made snoopy_virtual's edit, and the mod now seems to be working again. When I checked my member list, it appeared as though nothing happened, because the "Awaiting Approval" link didn't come up. However when I clicked "Awaiting Activation," the "Awaiting Approval" link did pop onto the bar, so it seems to be working on this end.

Checking members found another 30-35 known spammers who had slipped through, or been added to the SFS database since they were approved as members.

I think it's working for now.

No it's not. Well not 100%.

Yes, it detects a spammer if they try to register. It puts them in the 'waiting for approval'
Yes, it lists the member in red in this 'waiting for approval' section.

But it doesn't check your existing members if you select a few or a whole page.

P.S.
Personally I'd like to see Stop Spammer icon listed in the "View the profile of <member>" section.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: catfished on September 13, 2009, 07:53:47 PM

I'll do the same to my other 1.1.0 forums but one of them is version 2.0 RC2, is it an identical file overwrite for 2.0?

If you do it manually you need to do exactly the same change for 2.0 RC2

If you install it using the new package I have put in my server (version 2.3) the fix is already done either for 1.0 or 2.0

Quote from: danjam on September 14, 2009, 03:33:18 AM
Quote from: snoopy_virtual on September 10, 2009, 07:46:18 AMI think you could have told them exactly how to fix it.  ;)

Yes I could, but I prefer to leave this stuff to the mod creator. If I had realised M-DVD wasn't available I would have done so, sorry :(

I was just joking. Didn't you see the smilie?  ;)

Quote from: danjam on September 14, 2009, 03:33:18 AM
Thanks for the 2.3 update snoopy_virtual, working 100% on several installs here :)

No problem.

I needed to do it anyway for myself, as I use this mod in 10 different forums.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

GadgetNutt

snoopy_virtual,

is the version 2.3 download you refer to on your website the most current fix or must I do a manual install?

Thanks, Mark

As always,

Mark

danneh3826

doesn't work. spammers still getting through.

i know why, the regex in the code isn't kicking in, and therefore thinking everything is fine. i've got a fix which i'm testing and i'll upload/paste the mods i've made if it works.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

For those running 2.0 - it might be wise to empty your cache after making the changes suggested, in order for them to take effect ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: GadgetNutt on September 14, 2009, 07:43:52 PM
is the version 2.3 download you refer to on your website the most current fix or must I do a manual install?

Version 2.3 is the most current and it has all the needed fixes done.

If you install that one you don't need to do any manual thing unless, of course, you are using a template with any of these files inside:

ManageMembers.template.php
Register.template.php

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: danneh3826 on September 15, 2009, 08:57:39 AM
doesn't work. spammers still getting through.

i know why, the regex in the code isn't kicking in, and therefore thinking everything is fine. i've got a fix which i'm testing and i'll upload/paste the mods i've made if it works.

I don't understand what you mean.

I have installed it in 10 different forums, 9 of them with SMF 1.1.10 and another one with SMF 2.0 RC1.2 and it works for me.

I will wait until you upload your fixes to see if I understand what you mean.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: LexArma on September 15, 2009, 09:03:41 AM
For those running 2.0 - it might be wise to empty your cache after making the changes suggested, in order for them to take effect ;)

Good idea.

I forgot to tell them that.

Bob Mueller

Quote from: quatermass on September 14, 2009, 04:35:12 AM
Quote from: Bob Mueller on September 13, 2009, 05:06:35 PM

I think it's working for now.

No it's not. Well not 100%.

Yes, it detects a spammer if they try to register. It puts them in the 'waiting for approval'
Yes, it lists the member in red in this 'waiting for approval' section.

But it doesn't check your existing members if you select a few or a whole page.
It does on my end. I've been able to prune an extra 20-30 spammers who slipped through.
--
Bob M.

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

catfished

It's working fine since I made the manual file changes. It's catching spammers every time.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

GadgetNutt

Got it working i think, but I have a question.
What emails are sent out?
I can't find them to determine what they say.
I am talking about the accept or reject emails.

Thanks, Mark

As always,

Mark

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As far as I know, they are the same e-mails that are used in the Core SMF setup, in case you have turned on admin approval. The actual e-mails you can find in the language strings, or just test registration to get SMF send the e-mails to you ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GadgetNutt

2 more questions.

If I wanted to edit the emails being sent out, where would I find the text?

I noticed that the under view all members, there is no red highlighting of spammers,
but they are being transferred to waiting approval. Is this what it is supposed to do?

Thanks
As always,

Mark

quatermass

Quote from: GadgetNutt on September 16, 2009, 06:29:23 PM

I noticed that the under view all members, there is no red highlighting of spammers,
but they are being transferred to waiting approval. Is this what it is supposed to do?

Thanks

Yes it is suppose to. But it is broken.

Perhaps the CSS that highlights the line to red is clashing with another similar name used on our web sites?

falldown

Works fine on SMF 1.1.9, no problems at all, everything's back to normal after a simple uninstall and installation of Stop Spammer 2.3.

Thanks snoopy_virtual, excellent work!  :D

GadgetNutt

Anyone know when M-DVD will be back to put the finishing touches on this?

In the mean time Kudos to snoopy_virtual, excellent work!

Mark
As always,

Mark

Astra_200

Tested before 2.3 mod with known spammers name. After 2.3 same test and spammer was stopped waiting approval.

Removed 2.2 and instaled 2.3 with no problems at all.

Thanks snoopy_virtual for mod and thanks to poster who spotted the problem.

Advertisement: