News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfished

Quote from: DragonKith on September 30, 2009, 10:58:08 AM
I have been getting spammers like every day registering on my board there was a time i had like 20 to 30 spammers registered on my board and this is with Stop Spammer install on my board.Is there going to be a new version of Stop Spammer coming out soon

If you uninstalled version 2.2 and installed version 2.3 it should work just fine.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Tamsin

2.2 was working fine after snoopy_virtual's fix cured some malfunctioning. I have now installed 2.3 and nobody can register any more. Any ideas?

FragaCampos

Quote from: Tamsin on October 01, 2009, 06:25:01 AM
2.2 was working fine after snoopy_virtual's fix cured some malfunctioning. I have now installed 2.3 and nobody can register any more. Any ideas?

Maybe you're having the same problem as me?

tbk22

Great Mod !

It helped me a lot
=)

R.Bourne

2.2 was working fine and the connection to DB was always working fine.

With 2.3 , the DB is NOT available no matter what!

Worst, when I select one or more members to "check", every single member of my forum becomes YELLOW including me myself as ADMIN. That means, someone else has to go and APPROVE the administrator!

Yes, I thought I killed my forum forever but luckily accessed the site MySQL database and changed the value from 3 to 1 for myself (ADMIN!!!) so I can access my own site. And finally, approve all members.

This is crazy and very very dangerous MOD.

UPDATE 1: I installed this MOD "cURL fetch_web_data" (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1569) and now the connection is available (Green). I am confused as why 2.2 was able to connect to spam DB without this MOD.

UPDATE 2: Now, when I select a single member to check, it gives me this message: "You have exceded the check limiting (5000 API queries per day).
You should wait from tomorrow for check again." which is much better. At least, it doesn't make me approve myself first as Admin!

NOTE: QA is one of the most important process but seems like is not being followed. Example, the bold part above ;)

M-DVD

Quote from: FragaCampos on September 30, 2009, 09:27:41 AM
Me again.

I had to unistall the mod, because when i try to register a new user i receive the following error:

QuoteFatal error: Cannot redeclare checkdbspammer() (previously declared in public_html/Sources/Subs-Members.php:1136) in public_html/Sources/StopSpammer.php on line 58

can anyone tell me why this happens?

The uninstalling the previous version wasn't complete.

You should look in the file Subs-members.php and deleted the changes

--

Quote from: catfished on September 30, 2009, 01:59:45 PM
Quote from: DragonKith on September 30, 2009, 10:58:08 AM
I have been getting spammers like every day registering on my board there was a time i had like 20 to 30 spammers registered on my board and this is with Stop Spammer install on my board.Is there going to be a new version of Stop Spammer coming out soon

If you uninstalled version 2.2 and installed version 2.3 it should work just fine.

Yes, thanks for help :)

--

Quote from: Tamsin on October 01, 2009, 06:25:01 AM

Try unistall and reinstall the new version and tell me.

--

Quote from: R.Bourne on October 03, 2009, 04:37:46 PM
Worst, when I select one or more members to "check", every single member of my forum becomes YELLOW including me myself as ADMIN. That means, someone else has to go and APPROVE the administrator!

Yes, because the DB is not available. Then all member that you are checking, becomes yellow.

UPDATE 1: I installed this MOD "cURL fetch_web_data" (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1569) and now the connection is available (Green). I am confused as why 2.2 was able to connect to spam DB without this MOD.

UPDATE 2: Now, when I select a single member to check, it gives me this message: "You have exceded the check limiting (5000 API queries per day).
You should wait from tomorrow for check again." which is much better. At least, it doesn't make me approve myself first as Admin!

I don't know why you can't check fine.

Do you still have these limits to check members?

NOTE: QA is one of the most important process but seems like is not being followed. Example, the bold part above ;)

Sorry my bad english :-[

--

Quote from: Eclipse16V on September 29, 2009, 12:58:20 AM
Here is it in German:

Quote from: boudie on September 30, 2009, 04:28:21 AM
Here is the new complete Dutch translation.

Quote from: FragaCampos on September 30, 2009, 09:18:24 AM
Thanks a lot for the update!

Here's my small contribution with the portuguese translation:

Quote from: cat11 on September 29, 2009, 05:21:34 AM
Hi
Ok so I've translated it:

Many thanks, yours translations have been uploaded :)

--

Quote from: flutter on September 29, 2009, 11:59:59 AM
Thank you.  This mod is great and it confirmed a lot of profiles I suspected as spammers without me having to search them all out individually.  Initially they all came up as clean when I applied the mod, but I ticked the box and did a check and half of the ones suspected showed in red and had a history of spamming.

Well done on this one

Quote from: tbk22 on October 03, 2009, 06:09:21 AM
Great Mod !

It helped me a lot

Thanks for comment :)

R.Bourne

M-DVD, your English is perfect. And, I didn't mean to be disrespectful :(

Back to your code, it seems like everything is working fine. No more complain from me ;)

Thank you again for a great and so useful MOD.

SiL

Not working as expected - installed in test forum (apparently successfully). No status change on indicator gifs in view all members even though looking up a couple of existing addresses showed an entry in the SFS site.

Went to SFS to register API so I could try listing a spam address on SFS - that first part went OK, BUT the second half (trying to register on SFS forum) instead had the opposite effect of marking my IP & other details as a spammer....  WTF!!!! (no, my IP address is not blacklisted)

Maybe this mod + SFS still needs some work .  I wonder if SFS is using the honeypot... hmmm

rthrash

I've got a problem with the latest update on my deployment. I've had to revert the templates on Register.php and ManageMembers.php. In a localhost deployment everything works fine on a fresh install, but when transferring the templates over via FTP (the auto-installer doesn't work), I get blank pages on step 2 of registration and any time I try to view the member list. Any ideas?

Xerendipity

Thanks for this mod.  One question though ... once installed, am I supposed to see an updated list under Ban List, or it is working more in the background?

SiL

Aha!

tip for users / installers....  to be able to list and check the existing member groups, you need to have the permission to delete accounts, otherwise the checkbox on the far right for each member in the memberlist does not appear, and you can't select a group of members to run the check.

Makes it a bit of challenge for admins as to what permissions they may wish to delegate to moderators - with distributed forum administration you may want to take some of the load off key admins and pass it to moderators. Snoopy/M-DVD would it make more sense to have a set permission such as "Spammer control" that could specifically be controlled through the permissions groupings?

Another suggestion - ability to sort by a "suspect spammer" column in the view all members listing - it will take a while to get through 5000+ members on a forum one page at a time (and a true "check all members" function would be handy too - the top select button seems to only select the visible page of members.)

and be careful what username you use if you decide to register at SFS.  if you have a short username that is a substring of any known spammer usernames, you may get accidentally listed  ;-)

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: Xerendipity on October 05, 2009, 08:17:15 PM
Thanks for this mod.  One question though ... once installed, am I supposed to see an updated list under Ban List, or it is working more in the background?

You don't need to update the ban list.

This is done automatically in stopforumspam.com and the mod check always the updated list every time it connects to that page.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

FragaCampos

Quote from: M-DVD on October 05, 2009, 01:20:57 AM

Thank you very much! It was exactly that ;D

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: SiL on October 06, 2009, 12:34:38 AM
... Snoopy/M-DVD would it make more sense to have a set permission such as "Spammer control" that could specifically be controlled through the permissions groupings?

A very interesting idea.

I will wait to see if M-DVD uses it for his mod.

If he doesn't want to use it I may use it in my own version of the mod.

Another suggestion - ability to sort by a "suspect spammer" column in the view all members listing - it will take a while to get through 5000+ members on a forum one page at a time (and a true "check all members" function would be handy too - the top select button seems to only select the visible page of members.)

Well...

This can be useful, but I don't think I'll use it.

What I do in all the forums I administer when I check the users is to order them by ID.

This way I can go to the last page and I can see together all the latest members of the forum.

It's a little more complicated at the beginning, when you have just installed the mod and you have a lot of members to check, but after a while, you just need to check the latest members, and viewing them by ID number you have all of them at the end of the list.

and be careful what username you use if you decide to register at SFS.  if you have a short username that is a substring of any known spammer usernames, you may get accidentally listed  ;-)

Yes, that is why in my own version of the mod I have a special mark when the mod detect somebody with only the username marked as spammer and a button to leave it just as suspicious or to mark him as non-spammer once you are sure about him.

I told M-DVD to use this idea for his mod, but he said it will be too complicated for most users, because then you need to modify too many files and it's not so easy to install the mod and he prefers to leave it simple.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

GadgetNutt

First off I want to comment on how pleased I am with this mod. :) It has made my life a lot easier by keeping the spammers at bay.

A loud and grateful THANKS to M-DVD and snoopy_virtual for all your efforts, and a job well done.

I guess I have been lucky, or just careful, but all the mods, updates, and installs have gone quite well for me.
With each fix, all has worked out as promised, and I would like to encourage those that have had a buga boo or 2, to keep trying.

This mod is worth the effort! ;D

With that said, I have a question:
It appears that when someone signs up, those that need checking through StopForumSpam are marked correctly to check,
But I have notice that lately I have not been notified on the home page that I have someone waiting to be activated.
I know this was working before. I have 2 users waiting, and it is not showing up on my main page? Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark
As always,
Thank You to this forum and its support people.

Mark

M-DVD

Quote from: Xerendipity on October 05, 2009, 08:17:15 PM

If there are spammers who have been caught in the register, you will see in the list of members waiting for approval.

For members already registered, you can check from the List of Members in the ACP (or from their profile), then select the checkbox and click on the 'Check button'.

But if you mean about update the Spammer's DB (black list), it is the answer

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 06, 2009, 10:33:21 AM
You don't need to update the ban list.

This is done automatically in stopforumspam.com and the mod check always the updated list every time it connects to that page.

--

Quote from: rthrash on October 05, 2009, 01:40:58 PM
I've got a problem with the latest update on my deployment. I've had to revert the templates on Register.php and ManageMembers.php. In a localhost deployment everything works fine on a fresh install, but when transferring the templates over via FTP (the auto-installer doesn't work), I get blank pages on step 2 of registration and any time I try to view the member list. Any ideas?

Try unistall, and reinstall. (try install automatically)

Have you enabled the fsockopen function?

--

Aha!

tip for users / installers....  to be able to list and check the existing member groups, you need to have the permission to delete accounts, otherwise the checkbox on the far right for each member in the memberlist does not appear, and you can't select a group of members to run the check.

Sorry my bad. I will fix it.

Only you will need the 'moderate_forum' permission, ie, the same permission for see the Member List in the ACP. Maybe, I will add other permssion.

Thanks for report.

The best is this tactic

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 06, 2009, 11:01:39 AM

Well...

What I do in all the forums I administer when I check the users is to order them by ID.

This way I can go to the last page and I can see together all the latest members of the forum.

It's a little more complicated at the beginning, when you have just installed the mod and you have a lot of members to check, but after a while, you just need to check the latest members, and viewing them by ID number you have all of them at the end of the list.

Also, you can look the List of Member Waiting Approvation. In this list are all 'suspect spammer'.

--

Quote from: R.Bourne on October 05, 2009, 02:01:52 AM
M-DVD, your English is perfect. And, I didn't mean to be disrespectful :(

Back to your code, it seems like everything is working fine. No more complain from me ;)

Thank you again for a great and so useful MOD.

No problem :), thanks for comment.

--

Quote from: GadgetNutt on October 06, 2009, 08:26:57 PM
First off I want to comment on how pleased I am with this mod. :) It has made my life a lot easier by keeping the spammers at bay.

A loud and grateful THANKS to M-DVD and snoopy_virtual for all your efforts, and a job well done.

I guess I have been lucky, or just careful, but all the mods, updates, and installs have gone quite well for me.
With each fix, all has worked out as promised, and I would like to encourage those that have had a buga boo or 2, to keep trying.

This mod is worth the effort! ;D

With that said, I have a question:
It appears that when someone signs up, those that need checking through StopForumSpam are marked correctly to check,
But I have notice that lately I have not been notified on the home page that I have someone waiting to be activated.
I know this was working before. I have 2 users waiting, and it is not showing up on my main page? Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for your comment.

Try this tip:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=283309.msg1930362#msg1930362

I don't know, but some themes don't have this link ::)

--

Quote from: FragaCampos on October 06, 2009, 10:37:58 AM
Quote from: M-DVD on October 05, 2009, 01:20:57 AM

Thank you very much! It was exactly that ;D

You're welcome :)

SiL

Hmm, the contents of the latest 2.3 update when checked with textwrangler with a previous download
show no differences?   (last file update date still 27 Sep 09?)

? did the update, "not update" on smf.org [nofollow]?

shadowravenhawk

I'm trying to install v.23 on SMF 1.1.5 and the instructions say to make changes on theme default managemembers.template.php and source managemembers.php and what it says to look for isn't there. It also says to make changes to theme default languagemod.english-utf8 and there is no such page.

SiL

Quote from: M-DVD on October 06, 2009, 10:24:10 PM

The best is this tactic

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 06, 2009, 11:01:39 AM

Well...

Also, you can look the List of Member Waiting Approvation. In this list are all 'suspect spammer'.

Yes, I had already worked out the reverse sort by ID.  But I may choose to search by (reverse ID AND less than 5 posts AND last seen more than 30 days) which will narrow down the hiding spots for dormant spammers who create accounts and lie low. They are the ones that are hiding on your member list - even without this Mod, the active spammers would have announced their presence and been detected/banned as they usually can't help themselves if they are trying to sell imitation shoes or other such items.

Many forums have lots of inactive accounts, and I'd say there's quite a few like me who start looking for mods like this after a forum has been active for some time.  So there can be quite a lot (1000+) members to be checked. And as I said, a page at a time is very, very painstaking.

For instance, the function for checking SMF forums for errors has the option to act on all errors of the same type, across multiple pages.  So how easy would it be to add this type of function to the member checking page?  whatever options one has chosen, whether a straightforward "view all members" or a special search using some criteria (like above), however many pages of results are found, a select option is available that will apply the SFS search across the whole of the found list of results, not just the first page.

Once the majority of members have been checked efficiently and speedily by the first bulk search, the method suggested by snoopy can be used for the remainder.

renzosan

Hello,

I've already read a lot of information, but I can't solve this problem. Could you help me please?

When I installed the package (apply mod), I got this error:
"Fatal error: packageinstall() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/usr/home/artig708/public_html/foro/Packages/temp/install_1.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/home/artig708/public_html/foro/Sources/Packages.php on line 556"

Then, when I try to install the package again, I can't because I have an error message saying that I can't write on the "Packages" directory.
I have backup of everything, but I didn't do anything yet because I am not sure if my files were changed or why is this error.

I am using a Kani_119 theme, I have installed SMF in a subdirectory (/foro).

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement: