News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopy_virtual

Yes, I just upload it a few minutes ago.

Look at the top of the page and you will see my name as co-author

AT LAST

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

EL34xyz

Snoop,
I don't care about false positives, you are missing the whole gist of how this bug operates.
And yes partial names are reported if that name is part of another name
That does not matter, this is the bug below.

This spam mod deletes the false positives members
The spam mod should not delete these false positive members automatically!

The is_activated status in the SMF database is changed from 1 to a 3 on these false positive members.

Do you understand this now????
Look at this screen shot

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: EL34xyz on February 09, 2010, 07:28:21 AM
Snoop,
I don't care about false positives, you are missing the whole gist of how this bug operates.
And yes partial names are reported if that name is part of another name
That does not matter, this is the bug below.

This spam mod deletes the false positives members
The spam mod should not delete these false positive members automatically!

The is_activated status in the SMF database is changed from 1 to a 3 on these false positive members.

Do you understand this now????
Look at this screen shot

Yes I understand and this is not a bug.

I have it in my forums all the time.

I have a girl named Margarita in one of them. I know the girl and I know she is not a spammer.

The username Margarita is in SFS database.

If I make a mistake and I check this girl in my forum, her is_activated status in the SMF database is changed from 1 to a 3, so she passes to the "Waiting for approval" list.

That is what is called a false positive.

But the program doesn't delete her. I just need to go to the "Waiting for approval" list and approve her again.

If your mod is deleting them you must have something really wrong there.

Are you sure you have installed it properly?

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

EL34xyz

Moving a member from 1 to 3 is deleting their member status.
They are no longer a member.
They are pottential applicants awaiting membership status.

The mod should not automatically do this to my members

When I check all my members, this mod will catch at least 50 or more false positive members.

The admin should be able to view these false positives and then make a decision.

The mod should check them in the database only and not change their status.

snoopy_virtual

Please I beg everybody in this forum:

Is there anybody with better language skills than me willing to try and talk with EL34xyz to see if there is a possibility?

I think I cannot continue with this any longer. Sorry.

EL34xyz

Look, it's really very simple.
When checking all the members on my forum in the spam database.

The mod should not automatically change their member status to a non member status on all these false positive members.

This is a huge hassle for the admins of large forums that have a lot of members.
Why should I have to go and correct this situation every time I do a full membership check against the spam data base?
The admin should have the option to remove these false positives.

Tamsin

Snoopy you are a hero. Really appreciate your work. And yes, I was a bit behind with updates but have caught up with the latest version now.

Let me have a go...

EL34xyz. Why are you checking every member all the time? The point of having this mod is so they are automatically screened before they become members, no? If you check an existing member with a common name eg john, andy, etc, chances are that he or she will be picked up by the mod as a potential spammer because these names have all been used by a real spammer at one point or another. But the mod DOES NOT DELETE that member. All you need to do is go into Awaiting approval section and manually approve him. Simple!

snoopy_virtual

EL34xyz

QuoteEL34xyz. Why are you checking every member all the time?

I am not checking members all the time.

I have had members join the forum, and then at some later date they are on the spam data base.
They were not on the spam data base at the time they joined.
Do you understand how that can happen?

I may only do a all members check once a month or more to catch latent spammers.

Tamsin

OK then all you have to do is go to Registration/Settings/ and uncheck 'Check their username' so the spammers that have sneaked into your forum can be picked up on their e-mail and/or IP only, leaving innocent Johns and Emmas.

EL34xyz

Why should I have to do that for 50+ false positive members every time I do a complete member check?

Look, it's just a difference of opinion.

I believe the mod should check the spam data base
The mod should report the results of the soam check.
The Admin then makes a decision on what to do with those members.

I don't believe that the mod should automatically remove membership status on legitimate members, just because their user name comes up as a false positive.
I don't want to stop checking user names in the spam database because that is just as valuable as the IP address and the email address check.

Again, it's just a difference of opinions here.
The Admin should be in charge of removing members, not the mod.

Nerd3D

Snoopy, glad to see they finally got you access to the mod's main page.

I love the mod the way it is. I don't need to check and recheck my members all the time. I only kick an established member if they actually do spam. If their name comes up in a black list after they are registered and they aren't spamming me I don't really care.

busterone

Snoopy, you did a fantastic job explaining the mod. I am glad they have you on the page as co-author now. Thanks for all the hard work. This mod has been a fantastic resource for me since it's creation.

snoopy_virtual

MOD Stop Spammer v2.3.7
===================

New co-author

• snoopy_virtual at last. We needed to wait 2 months but we got it. Thanks to everybody helping me with that. The list is too long to write all the names here but thank to all of them.

New features:

• Changes in the Code to make the mod compatible with 1.1.11 and 2.0 RC2. The differences between 1.1.10 and 1.1.11 and the differences between 2.0 RC1 and 2.0 RC2 where so big that I needed to change a lot of things to make the mod compatible with these latest versions, so now the mod is not compatible at all with 2.0 RC1. I haven't check though if it is compatible with 1.1.10 and earlier versions, but I suspect no. If anybody is interested I could check that and even do a version compatible with older SMF versions, but I really don't see the point.

• Some minor changes in english language files. Mainly minor spelling mistakes.

• You can use now your own API key if you want. You will need to go first to http://www.stopforumspam.com/signup to ask for one. Then just go to Admin > Registration > Settings and you will find a box there for that. Just leave it blank if you haven't got an API key and the mod will use the default one instead.

• You can now decide if the mod will check or not the username, email and IP. A lot of people have been asking for something to stop so many false positives due to usernames and/or IPs, so I have used Nerd3D's idea (thanks mate) to see how it goes. Still SiL's idea (this one) looks also very promising, but I didn't have time enough to test it yet. We will see.

• 7 new strings in language files. The last 2 new features needed these 7 new strings, so now (apart from english and spanish) the only language fully translated in the language_full.zip package is Croatian. I will appreciate anybody willing to complete all these translations. Thanks.

• Fixed issue with utf-8 spanish language files.

• Fixed some minor bugs. Thanks to Tiribulus and Nerd3D

• Fixed the yellow bug. The yellow bug attacked a lot of forums last week when stopforumspam servers went off for a few days. When these servers are off the mod is suppose to leave every new member waiting for approval but in yellow so you can differentiate them from the red ones, the ones that the mod found in SFS database. This way you know that this ones couldn't be checked because SFS was off at the time and you will need to check them later.

But there was a mistake in last version 2.3 Nobody noticed it before because SFS servers were on all the time since M-DVD published version 2.3 last September until last week.

With this mistake when you checked just one member, instead of leaving just this member waiting for approval and in yellow, the mod changed the whole member's table in the forum leaving everybody (including the admin) waiting for approval (not able to log-in) and yellow (that's why we called it the yellow bug).

If you had something like that last week you should download the yellow bug medicine I have uploaded to the mod's main site. Instructions on how to apply in the readme file inside the zip.

Once you execute it there are 3 options:

• The file tells you you got the yellow bug. => Just press the button "Apply medicine"

• The file tells you you haven't got the yellow bug at all and there is no "Apply medicine" button nowhere. => Nothing to do.

• The file tells you you haven't got the yellow bug but you can see the button "Apply medicine" at the end. => Read carefully all the text. In most cases you should press the button anyway but if you are not sure come here and tell me your particular case.

Don't forget to delete the file yellow_bug.php from the server when you finish with it.

How do I upgrade?

• Uninstall the previous version.

• Install the new one. If your previous version was 2.3.6 it's not necessary to re-edit the template files. If your previous version was 2.3 it's not necessary to re-edit them unless you have in your template folder the files ManageMembers.template.php or Register.template.php, because I needed to change these 2 files for the new features.

In that case you should edit them manually to apply the changes.

If you don't know how to do that, I am sure there must be a good tutorial somewhere here in SMF teaching you how to do that (I have never needed one, so I have never looked for it), but if you look for one and you find nothing let me know here. If I have some spare time maybe I can write one.

=======================================

Nuevo coautor

• snoopy_virtual por fin. Hemos tenido que esperar 2 meses, pero al final lo hemos conseguido. Gracias a todos los que me han apoyado en este asunto. La lista es demasiado larga para poner aquí todos los nombres, pero gracias a todos ellos.

Características Nuevas:

• Cambios en el código para hacer el mod compatible con 1.1.11 y 2.0 RC2. Las diferencias entre 1.1.10 y 1.1.11 y las diferencias entre 2.0 RC1 y 2.0 RC2 son tan grandes que he tenido que cambiar un montón de cosas para que el mod sea compatible con las últimas versiones de SMF. Por ello ahora mismo el mod no es compatible en absoluto con 2.0 RC1. No he comprobado sin embargo si sigue siendo compatible con 1.1.10 y versiones anteriores, pero no creo. Si a alguno le interesa mucho esto lo puedo comprobar e incluso podría hacer otra versión compatible con versiones viejas de SMF, pero no acabo de verle mucho sentido a eso.

• Algunos pequeños cambios en los archivos de lenguaje en inglés. Mas que nada pequeñas faltas de ortografía.

• Ahora puedes usar tu propia API key si quieres. Debes ir primero a http://www.stopforumspam.com/signup a pedir una. Luego ve a Administración > Registro de usuarios > Configuración y ahí encontrarás el recuadro donde ponerla. Si no tienes una, simplemente deja ese cuadro en blanco y el mod usará la API key por defecto.

• Ahora puedes decidir si cada vez que el mod chequee a alguien va a comprobar o no su nombre de usuario, su email y su IP. Mucha gente se ha quejado de la cantidad de falsos positivos que se obtienen debido a los nombres de usuario e incluso a veces las IP, por lo que he usado esta solución propuesta por Nerd3D (gracias colega) a ver que tal nos va así. De todas formas la solución que propuso SiL (esta de aquí) parece también muy prometedora, pero no he tenido tiempo de probarla todavía. Veremos.

• 7 nuevas frases en los archivos de lenguaje. Estas 2 últimas características necesitaban estas 7 nuevas frases, por lo que ahora mismo (aparte de los idiomas inglés y español) el único lenguaje que está traducido del todo en el paquete language_full.zip es el Croata. Estaría encantado si alguien me echara una mano a completar las traducciones que faltan. Gracias.

• Arreglado un pequeño problema con los archivos de lenguaje utf-8 en español. No se a vosotros, pero en mis foros al instalar la versión 2.3 se leía todo mal. Ahora sí lo leo bien. Si a alguien le siguen dando problemas que me lo diga y lo miro.

• Arreglados otros pequeños fallos. Gracias a Tiribulus y Nerd3D

• Arreglado el fallo del bug amarillo. El bug amarillo atacó cientos de foros la semana pasada cuando los servers de stopforumspam estuvieron fuera de línea durante unos días. Cuando estos servers están desconectados el mod se supone que tiene que dejar a todos los nuevos miembros esperando aprobación, pero de color amarillo, para que los puedas diferenciar de los que están en rojo, que son los que los chequeó y vio que estaban en la base de datos de SFS. Así puedes ver que estos amarillos no pudieron ser chequeados por estar el server apagado y tienes que comprobarlos a mano más tarde.

Pero había un fallo en la versión 2.3 que nadie había notado antes porque los servidores de SFS estuvieron en línea desde que M-DVD publicó la versión 2.3 el pasado Setiembre hasta la semana pasada.

Con este fallo, cuando chequeabas aunque solo fuera a un solo usuario, en lugar de dejar solo a este usuario esperando aprobación y en amarillo, el mod cambiaba toda la lista entera de usuarios del foro dejando a todo el mundo (admin incluido) esperando aprobación (sin poder loguearse) y de color amarillo (de ahí el nombre del bug).

Si te pasó algo así la semana pasada deberías bajarte el archivo yellow bug medicine que he subido a la página principal del mod. Las instrucciones para aplicarlo están en el "leeme" dentro del zip.

Una vez que lo ejecutes hay 3 posibilidades:

• El archivo te dice que tienes el bug amarillo. => Aprieta el botón de "Aplicar medicina"

• El archivo te dice que no tienes el bug amarillo en absoluto y no hay por ningún lado ningún botón de "Aplicar medicina". => No hay que hacer nada.

• El archivo te dice que no tienes el bug amarillo pero hay un botón de "Aplicar medicina" abajo del todo. => Lee todo el texto con cuidado. En la mayoría de los casos deberías de apretar el botón de todas formas, pero si no estás muy seguro que hacer vente por aquí y cuéntame tu caso particular.

No te olvides de borrar del server el archivo yellow_bug.php cuando acabes con él.

¿Como actualizar?

• Desinstalar la versión anterior.

• Instalar la nueva. Si tu versión anterior era la 2.3.6 no es necesario reeditar manualmente los archivos del "Theme" que estés usando. Si tu versión anterior era la 2.3 no es necesario reeditarlos a no ser que en tu "Theme" particular tengas el archivo ManageMembers.template.php o el Register.template.php, porque he tenido que modificar estos 2 archivos para las nuevas características.

En ese caso debes editarlos a mano para aplicar los cambios.

Si no sabes como hacer eso, estoy seguro de que por aquí en SMF debe de haber un buen tutorial que te enseñe a hacerlo. (Nunca he buscado uno porque nunca me ha hecho falta) pero si buscas uno y no encuentras nada decente dame un toque. Si me sobra algo de tiempo, puede que escriba uno yo.

EL34xyz

Well at least there is one other person that believes the mod should not be automatically making admin decisions.
reply #446 by Cranky old guy

QuotePersonally, I even if there is NOT an error with the DB connection, I don't want it to automatically de-activate someone because their username appears in the SFS database.  The chance of a name false-positive is fairly good, and I don't expect a LOOK AT THIS EXISTING MEMBER to suddenly de-activate them until I say so.

The mod will stay the way it is until enough users decide they want full control of their membership data base.

As I said, it's just an oppinion and oppinions are like Arsehales.
Everyone's got one, but yours stinks.  ;D

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: Nerd3D on February 09, 2010, 09:55:03 AM
Snoopy, glad to see they finally got you access to the mod's main page.

I love the mod the way it is. I don't need to check and recheck my members all the time. I only kick an established member if they actually do spam. If their name comes up in a black list after they are registered and they aren't spamming me I don't really care.

Quote from: busterone on February 09, 2010, 10:05:36 AM
Snoopy, you did a fantastic job explaining the mod. I am glad they have you on the page as co-author now. Thanks for all the hard work. This mod has been a fantastic resource for me since it's creation.

Thanks

I do what I can.

smartdeviceresource

snoopy_virtual Gracia para 2.3.7 :D
I just uninstalled 2.3.6 installed 2.3.7 and it works great (I attempted Registration with a red email from the stopforumspam site and it did as it should :) )

SMF 2.0 RC 2

However one question, Package manager did not see this update, is that because I happened upon the topic today, before my package manager was able to see the new version, did SMF forget (or just has yet to) to add the update to the (i'm guessing it's an) XML file with the latest versions? or is this a bug and many users may not see the update, which for many (though not me, as I didn't have yellowbug) relieves them of a serious bug.
after some thought, i've learned to be humble and leave the answering to the experts, until i too am an expert.  sorry to anyone who I've confused, with my answers

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: smartdeviceresource on February 09, 2010, 09:36:55 PM
snoopy_virtual Gracia para 2.3.7 :D
I just uninstalled 2.3.6 installed 2.3.7 and it works great (I attempted Registration with a red email from the stopforumspam site and it did as it should :) )

SMF 2.0 RC 2

However one question, Package manager did not see this update, is that because I happened upon the topic today, before my package manager was able to see the new version, did SMF forget (or just has yet to) to add the update to the (i'm guessing it's an) XML file with the latest versions? or is this a bug and many users may not see the update, which for many (though not me, as I didn't have yellowbug) relieves them of a serious bug.

Well I am not really sure about that.

For the last 2 months the official version here in SMF (2.3) was out of date but I couldn't update it as only M-DVD has the necessary permissions for that and he was not available.

So for the last 2 months the updated version has been only in my server and only since yesterday (when SMF Customization Team granted me the necessary permissions) this has been updated here as well.

Version 2.3.6 has never been here (I suppose you downloaded it from my site) so it wasn't in the system, so maybe that's why you never saw a warning telling you there was an updated version.

Or maybe I forgot to tick something to make the system knows that this a very important update.

You see. This is the first time I control a mod from the official page on my own, and I still haven't got a lot of experience about that. I have been reading hundreds of pages in the "Customizing SMF" section of the forum and I think I did it properly, but cannot be 100% sure.

The only thing I saw when I was uploading here this new version was a question asking me if I wanted to "Notify Subscribed users of updates? " and of course I ticked it yes.

I really hope everybody with version 2.3 can see it though and they update as soon as possible, as this bug was really horrible.

Just 2 things:

• If you know anybody using version 2.3 tell them to update it.
  • If anybody with more experience than me managing mods here in SMF sees I forgot something please tell me.

giveaway365.com

I got an message saying to update...

Mod Update Notification for Stop Spammer‏
From:    Simple Machines Community Forum ([email protected])
Sent:    09 February 2010 16:54PM
To:    [email protected]
Hello giveaway365.com,

The customization, Stop Spammer, has been updated on the customize site. The latest version is now, 2.3.7.
You can check this out by following the below link:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547

Note, you are receiving this notification from a subscription to the customization for updates. You can remove this notification by visiting the mod link above and unsubscribing to notifications for this customization.

The description of this customization is as follows:
MOD Stop Spammer v2.3.7
==================

* Authors:
M-DVD

and snoopy_virtual

* Version:

* Release:
7th February 2010

* Languages:

* Compatible With:
SMF 1.1.1 - 1.1.11
      SMF 2 RC2

Comment this Mod

My MODs

Images

Help support my MODs

* ChangeLog

o Read FAQ

Features:

o With this MOD you can Block the Registry of Spammers in your Forum.

o When registering a user, it will compare their data (nickname, IP and mail) with the "Stop Forum Spam" DB.
            If it match any data, then the user is leaved inactive 'Waiting for Approval'.
            Admin > Members > Awaiting Approval

o You can leave the 'Inmediate Registration' enabled for all users (so you don't disturb them),
            but if a Spammer is detected it will apply 'Register Approval' automatically.

o Also you can check all data of many members (already registred) automatically with a simple click, selecting them in the list...
            Admin > Members > View All Members

o And report new Spammers and increase the DB, with a simple click.

o It keeps a record of the number of all Spammers Blocked to date, you can enable and disable this MOD and more

Thanks to 'Stop Forum Spam' for your DB and APIs.

Thanks to WhatsTheRent

and KahneFan

for idea.

Thanks to snoopy_virtual

for his big help, ideas, test, report and fixed errors.

Etc Etc

snoopy_virtual

Yes.

That's wonderful.

It means everybody interested in the mod knows now about the update.

Great.

Thanks for telling us.

Advertisement: