News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD-X

It should work fine with 2.0.4, so check your host's permissions and any other mods you have installed. :)

NeonFlash

@SugarD-x: Thanks for the quick reply. What permissions and settings do I need to check?

I have only one mod installed and that is: Stop Spammer version 2.3.9

I checked this in the Admin Panel -> Package Manager -> Browse Packages

NeonFlash

Do I need to check the permissions of Stopspammer.php file?

I logged into my Cpanel and in the SMF's Sources folder, the permissions of Stopspammer.php are: 640

please let me know what modifications I need to make.

is there some kind of error logging I can enable which will let me debug this further? Like what is preventing the script from connecting to the SFS database.

SD-X

Quote from: NeonFlash on April 13, 2013, 03:31:33 AM
@SugarD-x: Thanks for the quick reply. What permissions and settings do I need to check?

I have only one mod installed and that is: Stop Spammer version 2.3.9

I checked this in the Admin Panel -> Package Manager -> Browse Packages
You're welcome!

When I say your host's permissions, I mean what your hosting service allows. They may be blocking StopSpammer from connecting. I believe, if I remember correctly, it uses fsockopen() to connect. If the problem doesn't resolve itself after a day or so, I'd recommend talking to them and seeing if that is blocked. :)

As for the mods, if it's the only one you have installed, then it's not that.

Also, be careful to not double-post. Please use the edit button in the future. ;)

NeonFlash

Thanks, I will not double post.

It should not be an issue with the Hosting Provider, because this Mod was working properly for me previously on the same hosting. The only thing which has changed from before is the SMF version which was upgraded.

I checked the source code of StopSpammer.php and I think it uses the following code snippet to test the connection in checkDBSpammer() function:

$remoteXML = 'http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?' . ('127.0.0.1' != $check_ip ? ($modSettings['stopspammer_check_ip'] ? 'ip=' . $check_ip . '&' : '') : '') . ($modSettings['stopspammer_check_name'] ? 'username=' . urlencode($check_name) . '&' : '') . ($modSettings['stopspammer_check_mail'] ? 'email=' . urlencode($check_mail) : '');

// Try to download.
require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-Package.php');
$down_ok = fetch_web_data($remoteXML);

// Test Host Connection
if ($test) return (bool)$down_ok;

// Connection Failed
if (!$down_ok)
if ($modSettings['stopspammer_faildb'])
return ('1' == $modSettings['stopspammer_faildb'] ? 0 : 8);

if $down_ok is set to 0, then it will display the faildb error.

The permissions for both, StopSpammer.php and Subs-Package.php are set to 640. Could this problem arise due to the permission settings of these two files?

Could you please confirm what should be the settings for these two?

I can try uninstalling and reinstalling the mod as well as an option.

This mod was installed around 1 week ago and the connection failure issue with the SFS database still persists.

Edit:

I checked it further and the fetch_web_data() function called by StopSpammer.php to connect to stopforumspam.com API is defined in Subs-Package.php.

And yes, it appears that it makes use of fsockopen():

// Get the contents of a URL, irrespective of allow_url_fopen.
function fetch_web_data($url, $post_data = '', $keep_alive = false, $redirection_level = 0)
{
global $webmaster_email;
static $keep_alive_dom = null, $keep_alive_fp = null;
if (empty($fp))
{
// Open the socket on the port we want...
$fp = @fsockopen(($match[2] ? 'ssl://' : '') . $match[3], empty($match[5]) ? ($match[2] ? 443 : 80) : $match[5], $err, $err, 5);
if (!$fp)
return false;
}

Edit again:

I just uploaded a PHP script to my site through FTP to check the settings of PHP.ini and fsockopen() is not disabled:

disable_functions: link,symlink

only the link() and symlink() functions are disabled.

Thanks.

Kindred

it is not a problem with smf or with the mod...   sometimes the sfs db goes down
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SD-X

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2013, 07:51:14 AM
it is not a problem with smf or with the mod...   sometimes the sfs db goes down
The database wasn't down at the time he posted.

SnowRaptor

I couldn't find in the documentation if it is possible to complitely block registrations pro stopfrumspam matches. Is it possible? If not, can I add this as a feature request? ;)

Thanks

SD-X

Quote from: SnowRaptor on May 06, 2013, 09:12:38 PM
I couldn't find in the documentation if it is possible to complitely block registrations pro stopfrumspam matches. Is it possible? If not, can I add this as a feature request? ;)

Thanks
This mod only flags them after registering if caught in the database, not before.

SnowRaptor

Sorry, I was not clear. I was asking if, instead of sending the spammers registration to be manually approved, it is possble to completely remove them automatically.

My forum uses manual approval of members because of recurrent trolls and the spammers end up polluting the approval page.

Kindred

No, you were clear....

But the mid does not do that and would require recoding to do so...
And considering the number of false positives from sfs, I would suggest that never be an option..,
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SnowRaptor

Thanks.

Well, the "flags" are already a big help.

SD-X

Please don't open the above images guys. They are malicious.

tonyx

Hi all,

I like your MOD, if you need some help with Italian translation I'll be happy to help you!

Ciao

chrishicks

Has anyone ever had the experience where when going through members and checking them against the SFS db that it sometimes doesn't flag them even though when manually checking them by clicking on the username and/or email it shows that they are in the system? Example: I see member "spambot1" with the email "[email protected]". I put a check in the box and hit check member and it comes back as them being clean and doesn't flag them. However if I click on the username or email to have the SFS page popup it shows both the username and email in the system well over 50 times each. I had the idea that maybe the db was down when I checked so I tried another member, let's call him "spambot2", on the same page and it flagged them right away when checked. Go back to the "spambot1" user and again they don't flag. I of course can delete the person on my own which I do, I was just wondering if it may be something screwy with my install somewhere. I recently updated from an outdated version(2.2 I think it was) to 2.3.9 so I figured I'd ask.

mili123

How I can check all my members with this mod? I know how I can check one page of members but I have 4000 pages with members, how to check all?

Thanks.

Kindred

there is no way to do that....    and submitting 4000 pages of requests (at 50 per page, that would be 20,000 requests) would probably be a violation of the SFS database ToS. (In other words, don't do it... don't try to do it)
Слaва
Украинi

PopUpSteve

Quote from: mili123 on July 29, 2013, 12:06:44 PM
How I can check all my members with this mod?
One page of members at a time. It really doesn't take that long. Just order a pizza and by the time it arrives, you'll be 1/2 way done.
Steve
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital."

SpirakosDafuq

i search for some mods and this is good mod thanks :)

rajeshvv

HI
this mod was working fantastic :)
successfully got API and working gr8 by blocking the spammers with the Stop Spammer mod.
Am having 12 spammers blocked until today.. tats interesting.. but where can I see the blocked spammers data I mean blocked spammers manually by admin.
could anyone help me out here.. how to see the blocked spammers in my forum?
am seeing nothing in the my spammers option in the menu options in this  http://www.stopforumspam.com [nofollow] website under my profile):
cheers

Rajesh

Advertisement: