News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Give. That 2.1is still in beta, chances are that most mod authors will not bother developing the mod until the release is more stable.   And please stop asking the same question in 15 different mod topics.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

Thanks Kindred.

I understand that mate,but there are quite a number that DO have 2.1b3 versions available so far.

I may have asked the question in multriple threads but as it related to each of those mods, I think that's reasonable.  After all Fred Nirk may be planning to updated mod 1, but Alan Jones may not be planning a new version of mod 2....

It's different to cross posting a thread in multiple forums.

Anyway I have asked it in all the relevant threads alraedy, so there won't be any more henceforth....

Cheers.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Robomcd

So I am busy with forum updating again, finally.

As mentioned in December in this and in a separate thread, I did do all the tricks as mentioned by Kindred and others, in the order as specified. ManageMembers.php mentions it is 2.0.15, new code is in, and all is working ok ... but: stop spammer used to indicate which people registering are spammers with these nice colors, but now it does not do that anymore. The system says all is ok and functioning, but nada in indicating spammers.

Any idea what I missed?

As mentioned earlier, on the registration settings page, I only have what looks like the standard settings, but below it is a another section with tick boxes but no texts. Also, in the member section, I do have a special section for mod httpBL, but nowhere any reference to settings for stop spammer. 

??? ???

landyvlad

Recently (last month or so) I have been getting a LOT of spammers attempting to register.
Stop Spammer does seem to be doing it's job for most of them - any flagged as spam (i.e. in the relevant database I guess) are put in the "Awaiting Approval" queue.  This can easily be a 10 a day though.

I've taken all the usual precautions re the SMF core security features (questions etc) but that seems to be failing (as possibly is httpBL to some extent).

Is it possible to set up a rule in Stop Spammer such that if a user is flagged as a spammer by BOTH email and IP, it just deletes it from the approval queue automatically? That'd be handy.

Any advice around this would be most welcome.  Thanks.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

SD-X

Quote from: landyvlad on December 03, 2018, 10:51:02 PM
Recently (last month or so) I have been getting a LOT of spammers attempting to register.
Stop Spammer does seem to be doing it's job for most of them - any flagged as spam (i.e. in the relevant database I guess) are put in the "Awaiting Approval" queue.  This can easily be a 10 a day though.

I've taken all the usual precautions re the SMF core security features (questions etc) but that seems to be failing (as possibly is httpBL to some extent).

Is it possible to set up a rule in Stop Spammer such that if a user is flagged as a spammer by BOTH email and IP, it just deletes it from the approval queue automatically? That'd be handy.

Any advice around this would be most welcome.  Thanks.
You could change the code in the modification to do this, or even make another mod that has this option. I believe StopForumSpam has information on their website for creating API's.

landyvlad

Completely beyond my capabilities I'm afraid.

Blade73

Had the same issue with 60 + in Awaiting Approval queue per day
but found this also
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1599

SD-X

Quote from: Blade73 on December 23, 2018, 08:02:26 PM
Had the same issue with 60 + in Awaiting Approval queue per day
but found this also
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1599
I also use that. It definitely helps.

For anyone else interested, I previously posted this in the Mod httpBL topic, which some may find useful for additional anti-spam recommendations:
Quote from: SugarD-x on December 04, 2018, 03:54:16 AM
If I were you, I'd use [Mod httpBL] and StopSpammer in conjunction with a few other security mods or methods. Personally on my heavier forums, I'll mix those two with at least ReCaptcha and Bot Buster. More prevention methods and additional databases being used to catch and block the spammers tends to help as long as they are properly managed and don't conflict.

SD-X

Sorry for the double-post. There has been significant time between them and I can't edit the previous one. (Also, someone silently changed my posts to be worded oddly, so I'm not sure why they say "ye" everywhere :P )

Quote from: Mister Gray One on January 28, 2018, 07:05:37 PM
Works fine for me on 2.0.15

Maybe your host changed something which is preventing the outgoing connection to SFS?
I had StopSpammer working fine on numerous 2.0.15 forums, but today I just tried updating a test one to 2.0.15 and ran into issues. I decided to uninstall StopSpammer, install the update, and do the reverse. Apparently there is indeed a change to one file in the update that StopSpammer is not friendly with, and the code changes so significantly on those mere 2 lines that I personally don't know enough about SMF, PHP, or the mod itself to get around the issue. Unfortunately I think we need an updated version to fix this unless someone has a workaround available already.

live627

SD-X

4everBlue

SD-X

Apparently applying that mod change for 2.0.15 has given my server a constant 500 error with no further information when viewing the members list from the administration section. :(

Kindred

Then your server is really odd...
However there has to be more information at the server level... look for the server error log or talk to your host
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SD-X

Quote from: Kindred on April 03, 2019, 07:26:11 AM
Then your server is really odd...
However there has to be more information at the server level... look for the server error log or talk to your host
It is an OVH VPS running Ubuntu Server 14.04. Apache2 has no errors being logged about the 500 error, and my web browser doesn't provide any further details, or even a specific 500 sub-code. It is only the Members section from the Administration Center that is triggering the error. I can access anything and everything else just fine, including the normal Members page. I have no idea what is causing that one little line to trigger this.

Kindred

Well, the fact that there is no error logged is more comcernimg.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

That VPS is going to need an upgrade soon, btw. Ubuntu 14.04 goes out of support in a few weeks.

SD-X

Quote from: Kindred on April 04, 2019, 12:12:02 AM
Well, the fact that there is no error logged is more concerning.
Well I've never been a big fan of Linux to begin with, so I'm not too surprised. For some reason I always tend to have bad luck with it. :P

Quote from: Arantor on April 04, 2019, 03:26:41 AM
That VPS is going to need an upgrade soon, btw. Ubuntu 14.04 goes out of support in a few weeks.
I'm in the process of trying to dump it. I have a Windows Server VPS that I use for all of my web stuff. This old Ubuntu Server VPS was a really old one I picked up for dirt cheap years ago for some test websites, which I'm trying to move over to the Windows one now. (No use in having two servers doing the same thing). That's actually why I'm so concerned about getting all of this working correctly again. I still have to figure out the age-old problem with PHP 7.2.x and SMF 2.0.x yet too. :)

shadav

got an error with this mod installed

so I go to view the members on my forum in my admin
admin >members
and I have an error

syntax error, unexpected '||' (T_BOOLEAN_OR)

SD-X

Quote from: shadav on September 15, 2019, 08:39:31 PM
got an error with this mod installed

so I go to view the members on my forum in my admin
admin >members
and I have an error

syntax error, unexpected '||' (T_BOOLEAN_OR)
Any other mods installed? Where is the error happening and in what file? There may be a conflict somewhere.

Advertisement: