News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How to change IP settings

Started by kr3ator, January 02, 2009, 10:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kr3ator

I have managed to start my forum, but unexpectedly my ISP has changed my IP. Now when I try to access forum from the new IP, the web browser connects to the server, but the the forum itself try to operate on the old IP, so no content is shown.
How can I change the IP adress of the forum without accessing the webpage with configuration?

sherpa サイバー侍

SMF has nothing to do with your IP change
ponit your domian to the new IP and it will be fine

kr3ator

I remember that there is a setting in which you put IP adress of your forum. Moreover you have to specify it in the installation process.
Everything with the domain is fine.
The problem is that I type: http://x.x.x.244, it connects to the server and automatlicly searches for the x.x.x.186 (the old adress)

Tyrsson

I may be wrong here (I have been before).

As Sherpa stated the IP address shouldn't matter. The forum is not identified by the IP. The server is identified by the IP (via DNS which resolves the domain name into an IP address). The forum identifies itself from what is contained in the settings.php (the file paths to your hosting which include the domain name) file that was written during install.

You should be able to type in the domain name and navigate to the forum, if not you need to contact your host and verify that your nameserver and dns records are correct and that the domain A record is set correctly.

There is also an outside chance that when you got the new IP it is because your host actually moved you to a new server, in this case, you may have to run repair_settings due to the file paths being different than what is in the settings.php file.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

kr3ator

I'm pretty sure that this is smth with the forum because server is mine and all others services(FTP, WWW) work fine when I type the new IP adress.

EDIT
I've changed the following line in settings.php: $boardurl = 'http://X.X.X.244/dir'; and still the same problem.....

kr3ator

Now this is something interesting..... when I open up the forum in different web browser than Firefox it openes(very slowly) the forum but with no graphics and gives this bug: Error: http://x.x.x.244/eti/index.php: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: smfToggle

Tyrsson

Are you sure that you have a dedicated IP address??

If your IP is dynamic then you must configure your server for this. The reason why is that if the IP is dynamic then each time you log onto the network the DNS could assign you a different IP.

What type of server are you using?

kr3ator

My IP is not dynamic and I don't use DNS - only IP number

Tyrsson

Every domain name is resolved into an IP address by a DNS. It has nothing to do with what you use. It is what allows you to type in:

http://www.yourdomain.com

But you actually go to:

Or whatever the IP is that the domain name is pointing to.

Even in a localhost environment there is not an IP address listed in the settings.php file.

If all your settings in your server config, @record, DNS nameserver is correct then in that field in the settings.php file it should have the path to the forum directory. But you have to remember that this must be the internal pathway.

Also, remember that the forum does not use the IP it uses the file path.

The server uses the IP.

What is the domain name that you are using with this forum?

Which service did you use to register your domain name?

If this is for development purposes then you should use a localhost setup.

Kermit

As far as i know,if your hosting company has changed the nameservers for your domain,it will take a little bit  time,till you can connect your site without problem
My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

kr3ator

As I said ;) I don't use DNS which means that I don't have a domain. I don't use www.myforum.com [nofollow] to access the forum but http://x.x.x.x

Tyrsson

Ok....

I have never tried it this way.

You might try using the IP in the $boardurl area in the settings.php, but I have no idea if this will work. I am not sure the script will resolve this as it should since its more than likely going to be looking for letters instead of numbers... One of the php pro's will have to answer that question for you.

Note: You may also have to list a port number also if you do this... Like I said before I have never tried this.

Such as:

$boardurl = 'http://yourIPhere';

In this case the file path would look something like this (I think). Of course you know this only an example and will need to be changed to whatever yours is. This is the path for a forum I had setup on my machine awhile back and it worked via localhost

$boarddir = 'C:\\Main Website\\forum'; # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir = 'C:\\Main Website\\forum/Sources'; # Path to the Sources directory.
$cachedir = 'C:\\Main Website\\forum/cache'; # Path to the cache directory.

Note: Its important to note where the \\ change to /

This is very important. In this example as you can see the \\ turns to / after the main forum directory (keep in mind I am running windows).

You may want double check that your server is set to serve "index" as the default file and make sure that your forum is in the 'root' instead of a subfolder.

I would also double check that this is in the correct file path that is defined in the document root of your server config file.

Hope some of this helps.

kr3ator

When I was installing the forum for the first time, in the installation page for the boardURL I typed the IP adress and everything was working fine. Nothing was changed except the outgoing IP adress from the ISP, but changeing the IP in the Settings.php didn't work :(

Tyrsson

uhmmmm.

You can connect with the server at this point via your new I.P correct?

Have you tried this?

What is repair_settings.php?

aishaweb

Damn too slow!

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.                            

Quote from: Tyrsson on January 03, 2009, 02:29:57 PM
uhmmmm.

Have you tried this?

kr3ator

Quote from: Tyrsson on January 03, 2009, 02:29:57 PM
uhmmmm.

Have you tried this?

repair_settings.php !!! Yes! That's it :) Thank you very much :D I didn't know about this tool.

Tyrsson

Your very welcome :)

I hope it does the trick.

If it works please mark this topic as solved by changing the post icon to the green check mark or click the topic solved button at the end of the thread:)

Thanks

Advertisement: