News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How does a board mod give acces to a private board?

Started by Drakness, January 02, 2009, 11:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakness

How does a board moderator give access to someone to a private board? in the same board.

wendallb

There is probably more than one way to do that but I made a private board and then made a new permission group just for that private board.. I hope that helps...

Drakness

But how does the board moderator add someone to that group so he can see the private board?

thekid65

You've got to have your permissions set to allow moderators to change members membergroups (you can limit the board mod to change only specific membergroups if you wish). Then, the board mod can edit/add that persons membergroup in that persons acct settings in profile. Underneath the primary membergroup, you will see an additional membergroups link which can be expanded to show the private membergroup  youve created. Just tick the corresponding box, and save changes.

Kinesthesia

Quote from: thekid65 on January 03, 2009, 08:01:30 AM
(you can limit the board mod to change only specific membergroups if you wish)

How can you limit which groups a mod can change ?

thekid65

Manage permissions>>>>>>>>>manage membergroups permission

Kinesthesia

I do not see the ability to allow someone to change only specific membergroups.

B

I haven't seen that anywhere, either. As far as I know, you can only grant the ability to change member groups. You can't control which member groups someone can assign.

B

Conquer Club - Free Global Domination Game
Think the board game Risk on steroids!

thekid65

You're correct, my bad. I guess the only way to do it is to allow the mods to change the additional member groups only. But still, that means a mod could assign anyone a additional member group.

So, it sounds like you want to have a private category, and have a mod be able to assign members to that category, and only that category.

If I'm right, than yeah...not quite sure how to manage that one.

Rumbaar

A board moderator wont be able to give direct permissions, unless they have more permissions than a normal board moderator.

But you can setup a membergroup that can access that area and then assign the moderator as the groups moderator.  So they'll be able to put people in that group and then in turn give them access to the private board.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: