News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to secure SMF

Started by Bram P, January 03, 2009, 02:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bram P

Hello,

I do really like the SMF forum I have installed t several times for several forums, but the last time I installed it it got hacked. Nobody (except me) had any of the passwords for anything.
Is there any way to secure the SMF forums more than they already are, so that won't happen again?

best regards,
Bram P

Kindred

SMF is currently secure. There are no known hacks for the current versions.

So, your method to secure SMF is to stay up-to-date with your installed version and be careful of mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

most themes are also safe, each theme and mod on the customise section is tested and code looked at so from customisation side we are 99% sure its safe (unfrotunatley the occasional issue does slip trhough but this is rare)

Also unless the site is trusted be careful with external sites that offer mods
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Antechinus

Also the OP appears to assume that the hacking was a result of using SMF. It could easily have been a server security problem.

confusion

Keeping your site secure is an ongoing process.  You need to monitor apache, php and simplemachines for security updates and apply them when necessary.  I strongly recommend that you use Suhosin as well. 

Bram P

Many thanks everybody, I'll check all the tips out :)

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: