News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Forum Name?

Started by QueenTiye, January 04, 2009, 02:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueenTiye

Let's see: SMF 1.1.7
TinyPortal 0.9.8
SMF Media Gallery (most recent)
Blog Community (most recent stable)

SMF Default Theme and 3 custom themes.

I want to change the name of my forum.  I know there's somewhere in a template file to do it but I can't figure out where.  Do I have to change it on the themes or is there a global place to change it?  Is there a way to have TinyPortal carry one name and the forum carry another (I suspect that's a TinyPortal question, but am asking in case anyone knows).

QT

KahneFan

You just want to change the name?

ADMIN --> SERVER SETTINGS --> Forum Title:

If you want to change your logo or something else, that's a whole other issue.
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

QueenTiye

Well - changing the forum title is only part of what I want to do.  Here's what I actually want to do:

In the navigation tree - it looks like this:

The Queen's Realm (name of the site)
    -- Forum (name of the index page of the forum)
    -----The Queen's Realm (name of one of the boards IN the forum)

What I want is for it to say:

Wind on Water.net  (name of the site)
    ----The Queen's Realm  (Name of the forum)
    --------Whatever board name

This only makes sense because of the mods i mentioned earlier - Tiny Portal - so the portal acts as a front page for lots of other things, including the blogs from Blog Community and the Gallery from SMF Media Gallery.

QT

KahneFan

Let me see if I have this right.

Right now you have
thequeensrealm.com(?)/forum

but you want
windonwater.net/thequeensrealm

Or do you want
windonwater.net/forum - and have just the title on the top of the forum to be "The Queen's Realm"

KahneFan

ADMIN --> SERVER SETTINGS --> Forum Title: ________________

QueenTiye

No - that doesn't do what I want.

Server settings forum title is already The Queen's Realm.  If this was a subdomain it would work as you said, but my forum is on the main domain, so the forum title overrides the entire website title.  And, I can't put the forum on a subdomain because there's nothing on the domain.

QT

KahneFan

So you want the first link of the link tree to be the domain name, but not the forum's actual name?

QueenTiye

Right.  That's precisely what I want.

The rationale here is that SMF now incorporates so many modules - including a portal that itself integrates with other modules, that it makes better sense for the domain to be the name of all the activities that go on on the domain, and not just the forum.  For instance, the forum integrates blogs and arcades, but the link tree shows like this:

forum name
----Arcade

or

forum name
----blogs

For some that makes sense, but for me, not so much.  I rather the forum have a unique identity and the domain be the inclusive brand.

QT

KahneFan

So you're wanting to basically use the portal as a CMS. A CMS which is completely tied into SMF, BUT uses a different name than the actual forum.

TBH, I could probably figure out how to hardcode it into the template, but someone else can probably tell you how to use the correct meathod. Now that it's clear(er) what you're looking for maybe someone can do this.

QueenTiye

Ok, thanks.  I may ask you how to do the hard coding, because so far the answers I'm getting are daunting (I'm being told to do a search and replace for every instance of the word "Forum" which seems prohibitive and dangerous!)

QT

KahneFan

That's actually probably the best way to do it (duh, to myself). Just replace the correct "forum" in certain language files.

QueenTiye

Well - but what are the correct "forum" codes to replace? 

I don't think every instance of the word is appropriate, but I'm willing to do the replacement if I can be given some direction as to which files to point to.   (For instance - I won't be changing the button on one of the themes, because I don't have a gif to replace it.  I don't want to accidentally change the word there and have the theme not be able to find the button).

QT

KahneFan

I'm not sure which line the link tree refers to to create the "forum" title, but that's all you would need to change. Let me see what I can find out.

QueenTiye

Hi KahneFan - any help you can offer would be excellent.  Thank you! :)

QT

N3RVE

Where did the first link come from?
After changing the 'Forum Title' from the Server Settings section of the Admin CP, it would be the first thing that will appear on the linktree. Are you trying to accomplish this with a custom theme?

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Advertisement: