SMF 2.0 Mambo bridge conversion to Joomla

Started by leggro1, January 05, 2009, 03:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leggro1

Hi,

I'm using SMF forum with my Joomla 1.0 site but I created Joomla 1.5 site and unfortunately there is no Joomla 1.5 - SMF 2.0 bridge. First I wanted to move to PhpBB3, and even made such migration.... but.... I'm loosing SMF functionality and I decided not to give up SMF but I don't want to give up joomla 1.5 too (so moving to Mambo is out of question).

I found JFusion but they didn't support SMF 2.0 so there is no way to integrate this two great products together (I'm very unhappy that there is this licensing problem but I understand SMF point in this discussion).

Then I found there is a bridge for Mambo (but this bridge is using some new functions in Mambo). And here is my question is there any chance to modify this bridge to work with Joomla? How complicated it will be and is it possible at all? Or this is very complicated and intermediate php coder is not able to do that?

I'm waiting for such working solution from at least 8 months and I decided to go myself for that because finally I lost a hope that such bridge will be developed (at beginning I was thinking that you will find a way to create such bridge, but it looks like there will be no chance - I think Orstio had such bridge but due this problem we can forget it).

Best regards developers and supportes

青山 素子

Quote from: leggro1 on January 05, 2009, 03:39:05 PM
Then I found there is a bridge for Mambo (but this bridge is using some new functions in Mambo). And here is my question is there any chance to modify this bridge to work with Joomla? How complicated it will be and is it possible at all? Or this is very complicated and intermediate php coder is not able to do that?

It would require an extensive rewrite. The Joomla! folks made several code changes when writing their 1.5 edition (it should have been called 2.0 it's so different). These changes would also require code changes on the SMF side to work in their new model.

The Mambo developers worked with us to see how to improve integration with both SMF and other systems that wanted to bridge with them. Those new functions we use are the result of that effort. As a result, support between Mambo and SMF are much better than even on the older bridges. You really should give the newest Mambo versions a try.

I'm waiting for such working solution from at least 8 months and I decided to go myself for that because finally I lost a hope that such bridge will be developed (at beginning I was thinking that you will find a way to create such bridge, but it looks like there will be no chance - I think Orstio had such bridge but due this problem we can forget it).

As far as I know, there was never a working bridge for Joomla! 1.5 because of the changes they made being right before their licensing "clarification".
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

FidelGonzales

Quote from: Motoko-chan on January 05, 2009, 07:19:16 PM
It would require an extensive rewrite. The Joomla! folks made several code changes when writing their 1.5 edition (it should have been called 2.0 it's so different). These changes would also require code changes on the SMF side to work in their new model.

The Mambo developers worked with us to see how to improve integration with both SMF and other systems that wanted to bridge with them. Those new functions we use are the result of that effort. As a result, support between Mambo and SMF are much better than even on the older bridges. You really should give the newest Mambo versions a try.

I agree. The jump from Joomla 1.0 to 1.5 seems to be worthy of 2.0. The difference is stark, which is why a migration is required rather than a simple upgrade.

Can you provide links to the Mambo SMF bridge you are referring to?

I'm using SMF forum with my Joomla 1.0 site but I created Joomla 1.5 site and unfortunately there is no Joomla 1.5 - SMF 2.0 bridge. First I wanted to move to PhpBB3, and even made such migration.... but.... I'm loosing SMF functionality and I decided not to give up SMF but I don't want to give up joomla 1.5 too (so moving to Mambo is out of question).

I found JFusion but they didn't support SMF 2.0 so there is no way to integrate this two great products together (I'm very unhappy that there is this licensing problem but I understand SMF point in this discussion).

Here's reference to a post I made in another thread, which offers a viable alternative for a Joomla 1.5 / SMF 2.0 bridge.

Quote from: FidelGonzales on February 05, 2009, 01:30:37 PM
I have tried JFusion and found it easy to install once it became more stable, but its integration is limited and doesn't wrap SMF with its own URLs. Fortunately, the SJSB project has improved greatly, installs easily and works exceptionally well. It is simply the best and most comprehensive forum bridge for Joomla and only working one that is based upon SMF 2.0. Currently, SEF URLs are not yet fully functional but being focused on. This and several other key features will be addressed with the next release that ought to be out within the coming weeks.

http://groups.google.com/group/sjsb/
http://www.youpokeme.com/sjsb/index.php?option=com_smf&view=forum&Itemid=2?board=1.0

Advertisement: