News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Global Ignore

Started by Father Luke, January 08, 2009, 08:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Luke

It would seem that every forum software has a conditional ignore feature.

That is to say that every forum software has a "gloabl ignore feature"

To wit:

(from:  http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=72381 )

QuoteWith the limited abuse controls avaliable on most forum software, it's difficult to just get rid of abusive users. Without this mod, Let's say you have user JonSmith whom is constantly flaming and spamming your topics/forums with worthless posts. You, the site administrator, try to delete/ban JohnSmith, but he continues to come back and just create new accounts and continues to flame/spam/annoy your users. You then escalate to his ISP and/or block his entire IP from your forums, at which case he either switches to a new IP, and you can't block the whole ISP because that would block a large percent of your user base. Short of hiring a Laywer, there's real no good way to solve this situation without constant headaches and active moderation, not to mention (upset) users.

So, let's say the same scenereo, but instead of deleting/banning the user, which is where the situation started to escalate, you simply apply (a) flag (on the "User Admin Management" screen under the admin panel) to JohnSmith's account. ALL new posts and topics by this user are now invisible to everyone else, except to himself. JohnSmith is completely unaware of this because to him, his posts look normal. Eventually, he'll just get board and leave, which is what you and your users wanted to begin with.

This:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=72381&sid=bd2b995f37be65f62198986847a83eab&start=165

shows how one community dealt with this problem. vBulletin (sorry) also has a global ignore
and other forum softwares do too.

It is a necessary feature. If not necessary, then vital, surely.

Or am I too bold?

I am running 1.1.7 currently.

Thanks for reading

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Jntg4

Free Domain Name: http://www.co.cc/?id=167358

gronk62

Incredibly useful mod. I'd add this in a heart beat!

We have several annoying users who haven't done anything to cross the line and get banned.
But they do constantly grate on peoples nearves and this would be the perfect way to deal with them

Is there such a mod available for 1.1.8 ?

Father Luke

There isn't one available for any version.
I'm asking for one.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Kermit

Ignoring,but exactly what do you want to ignore ? users ?

if yes,then there is sth. like that on the mod site

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=185 (It's with 1.1.8 compatible as well)
My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

gronk62

Quote from: Duncan85 on February 08, 2009, 05:39:33 AM

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=185 (It's with 1.1.8 compatible as well)
Yep tried that one. Couldn't figure out how to add the icons to other themes.
I'm only the "caretaker" admin and don't have any scripting ability. I can figure out how all the forum functions work, and do the general day to day running of the place.
But I have no idea how to add the icons to the 2 other themes we have.

Father Luke

No, Duncan, Global Ignore.

It is a tool that the Admin will use for a pest.

I believe the explanation was very clear in my first post.
Anyway, everyone else has been able to understand.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Father Luke

In vBulletin there is a Global ignore. Other forum software's also have it.

The feature makes it seem to the pest/troll that they are posting,
while they are in fact in a "Global Ignore" mode, and no one,
excepting the moderators, and Admins, can see their posts.

Eventually the irritant gets bored with no interaction and moves away.

Tachy Goes to Coventry.

Bump.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

onepiece

Would be a very useful feature/mod, but it requires some work to achieve this. I'd suggest either making a mod request in Mod Requests board or creating a topic in Feature Requests board.

bullbreedluverz

why have a mod that makes global ignore for someone that is an irritant on your site to drive them away...... if they are a pest/troll/annoying, irritating people just ban them

gronk62

Quote from: bullbreedluverz on March 14, 2009, 11:19:14 AM
why have a mod that makes global ignore for someone that is an irritant on your site to drive them away...... if they are a pest/troll/annoying, irritating people just ban them
We very rarely ban anybody. Only spammers and blatantly abusive members get the boot.

We do have a handful of members who are just plain irritating to a lot of others. But we don't feel that being irritating is a bannable offence.
So being able to ignore all their mindless drivel would be a very handy mod.

It works a treat on the Vbulletin website I'm a member of  :)

phishinfool

it would have to be set against their IP address though, If they log out or come in the forums on another computer they too wont see their own posts and will always find another way to be the maggot in the forum again.

i have had this same issue on mine, i made a seperate usergroup (hidden to the users) who cannot post anywhere on the site and they usually go away in a minute or so after getting the hint.

Father Luke

Quote from: Tenma on March 14, 2009, 10:48:53 AM
Would be a very useful feature/mod, but it requires some work to achieve this. I'd suggest either making a mod request in Mod Requests board or creating a topic in Feature Requests board.

Will do. Thanks much for your reply.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Retired_PS

I also tried it with 1.1.8. It installed and showed as current version, but it does not show up at all for use.

I'd say it has to be manually installed on anything past 1.1.3 according to the mod's main page.

Arebias

Quote from: stikkki on March 14, 2009, 11:19:14 AM

I could not agree more.

Global Ignore = Fix-a-Flat for Forum Asshats!  :P

Father Luke

Quote from: Arebias on May 09, 2009, 12:28:36 PM
Quote from: stikkki on March 14, 2009, 11:19:14 AM

I could not agree more.

Global Ignore = Fix-a-Flat for Forum Asshats!  :P

Thank you Arebias.

Global ignore is standard for vB and I am looking into switching.

Global ignore is simply vital to a forum.

People unfamiliar with how to deal with trolls shouldn't be "expected"
to have to learn. It's a forum owner's responsibility to provide a safe enviorn for them.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Arebias

Yeah I apologize for that. Didn't really mean it that way.

I run a small forum. Not many members and much easier to control. That is what I really meant.  ;)

I should stick to only offering constructive comments. Hehehehe

But I will tell you .... If a mod needs to be made these are the guys to do it. This is one great support community.

Bulakbol

Trolls are like spammers. I've seen a troll that after posting 2 annoying posts without replies or reactions from other members, he will register another account and start his annoying habit again. It is because the troll knows what is going on. But anyways, "Post Moderation" is a built-in feature of version 2.0 RC1. Upgrade to 2.0 RC1 and learn more about it.
Please do not PM me for support · My Mods and Theme · SMF Coding Guidelines · Modifications Approval Guidelines

Father Luke

Quote from: Bulakbol on May 10, 2009, 07:06:03 PM
Trolls are like spammers. I've seen a troll that after posting 2 annoying posts without replies or reactions from other members, he will register another account and start his annoying habit again.

I disagree that it's not a forum owner's responsibility to protect their forum from trolls.
That's faulty thinking right there.

QuoteIt is because the troll knows what is going on. But anyways,

It is not the forum member's responsibility to be in a safe place. It is the Forum owner's responsibility to provide a safe environment. Using software which insures this is a matter
choice. SMF does not offer this. Other forum software does.

Quote"Post Moderation" is a built-in feature of version 2.0 RC1. Upgrade to 2.0 RC1 and learn more about it.

Note: As this is in early beta we do not suggest running SMF 2.0 RC1 on a production site.

You clearly misunderstand the reason for this thread.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Antechinus

Quote from: Retired_PS on May 09, 2009, 12:17:58 PM

I also tried it with 1.1.8. It installed and showed as current version, but it does not show up at all for use.

I'd say it has to be manually installed on anything past 1.1.3 according to the mod's main page.
It has to be manually installed on any custom theme that has its own Display.template.php. Other themes should be fine. I use it with 1.1.8 and it works very well.

Father Luke

No. Global Ignore.

It is a tool that the Admin will use for a pest.

I believe the explanation was very clear in my first post.
Anyway, everyone else has been able to understand.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Antechinus

I understood perfectly well so drop the attitude, please. I was replying to someone else who had tried to use the mod that was mentioned and had difficulty with it. I was explaining a point that might help them, seeing as it is a mod that already exists and works perfectly for the purpose it was designed for. I know that you want something different but the existing mod might help someone else who reads this thread.

Father Luke

Quote from: Antechinus on May 11, 2009, 03:12:41 AM
I understood perfectly well so drop the attitude, please. I was replying to someone else who had tried to use the mod that was mentioned and had difficulty with it. I was explaining a point that might help them, seeing as it is a mod that already exists and works perfectly for the purpose it was designed for. I know that you want something different but the existing mod might help someone else who reads this thread.

Considering that I am the original poster specifically requesting something I don't see that I have attitude.

Or shall I get some?
To suit you  I mean?

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Antechinus

I also understand that you don't see it. If you would like to request that someone make a custom mod for you it would be best to do this in the Mod Requests board. Would you like me to move this thread there?

Father Luke

I believe I have posted there, and that this is an old thread, friend.

No worries.
Let it go. . .

But it's still an open topic.

I mean among SMF - vBulletin and others have this worked
into the software out of the package. . .

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

[SiNaN]

If you've posted in Mod Requests board, then I'm marking this as solved.

Feel free to revert it back, if you require code assistance about this issue.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Tomás C.

Any news about a "miserable users" mod?

Father Luke

Quote from: tomasilva on May 31, 2009, 07:35:26 AM
Any news about a "miserable users" mod?

Certainly looks like you could use one.

And thanks for bumping this topic.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Eliana Tamerin

With a bit of custom coding, I'm sure you could modify this mod to do what you want. You could simply remove what it shows the user (that their post has been hidden) and remove the reference to that post altogether. Remove the admin and mod's ability to see the hidden posts,  and then make it automatic to that one user, and I think you'd have it.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Father Luke

According to its support forum it has bugs, and the mod doesn't appear
to be active; the creator isn't responding to bug reports in the thread.

But thanks. That's the direction.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Advertisement: