News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

advice please

Started by crazyminx, January 08, 2009, 06:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyminx

Hiya all

I am use the dark blue theme at the moment on my forum and i am just wondering wot modifactions will work with this theme as i have tried few already and they dont seem to work. Thank you in advance

Jade Elizabeth

Modifications can pretty much work on any theme if you learn how to manually install them :).

Manual Installation of Mods
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Ricky.

Depends upon the way the template is made.
However, as Jade said, you can always modify a custom theme as per mod requirements doing manual edits.

Jade Elizabeth

Yup! Or pay someone else to do it lol. Or ask the theme author how to install it :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

crazyminx

thank you for this advice will try it

Looking

I have found that it is best (for the sake of installing mods) to use the default theme and then edit that to suit your needs changing only the very necessary to get the look you want.

Jade Elizabeth

Agreed in full :D

That's what I do :D

Antechinus

Quote from: Jade on January 09, 2009, 11:02:21 AM
Yup! Or pay someone else to do it lol. Or ask the theme author how to install it :).
Ahem. Don't you mean the mod author?  :P

Quote from: Looking on January 12, 2009, 02:38:45 PM
I have found that it is best (for the sake of installing mods) to use the default theme and then edit that to suit your needs changing only the very necessary to get the look you want.
Use a custom theme and learn to edit templates. Piece of cake and much better to look at.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: antechinus on January 12, 2009, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: Jade on January 09, 2009, 11:02:21 AM
Ahem. Don't you mean the mod author?  :P

Well as a mod author I won't support installing onto other themes because I don't use them.

As a theme author I wont support installing mods because I don't use them.

I just have this flaw which makes me want to help people so I do it anyway :'(

Looking

Antechinus, not sure I get what you are saying? I did not say I did not know how to edit the templates, I said it is easier to work with the default for the sake of installing mods. I run 20+ Forums, no time for dabbling - install and go!

Antechinus

Personally I cannot stand the core theme. Absolutely loathe the thing.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: antechinus on January 12, 2009, 10:05:57 PM
Personally I cannot stand the core theme. Absolutely loathe the thing.

....which is why you EDIT IT!!

I don't mind the default theme personally.

I just cannot stand default.

Antechinus

Well you're talking to someone who does edit the default theme.............................until it's completely unrecognisable.
This is called custom themes ftw. Kthnxbai.

Looking

Here is a default theme edited, but you would not think it was: http://www.mountainofsand.org/autism-adhd/

Antechinus

Yes I would think it was. It's obviously the default theme and has only had very simple alterations made to it.

Looking

Well, of course I use the KISS principle because of the number I have, but you only know that because I told you. The custom theme can be copied and then edited as a separate template. My purpose was to show you can edit the default without the hassle of worrying about installing a theme. Many here seem to think that you can't.

Antechinus

Of course you can edit the default theme. It's only locked to stop beginners crashing their sites and there are several ways around that, but you're wrong about me only knowing what it was because you told me. I would have known it for a lightly modified default even if you hadn't told me. It's not as though I haven't seen the default theme before. I'm well familiar with it.

Looking

I notice you read too quickly or a bit hasty to answer. I don't think you understand what I'm saying, but its OK. Carry on Sir.

Antechinus

You could always rephrase your post for greater clarity.

Jade Elizabeth

Gees the page wont even load for me.

Okay it took 5 mins, but I can load it without scripts.

...Please tell me you're kidding when you say you "cannot tell it's a copy of core" cause I knew straight away.

Tabs are a DEAD giveaway.

Nothing much, except colours and images have changed :-X

Looking

For the sake of confusion let me restate what I meant to say.

The theme is BASED on the default, yes, but what I meant to say is that it is the default edited and not a separate theme of the default. You can't know that because just by looking you will not know which folder a theme is being pulled from. My point was that you can edit the original default to make changes you do not have to install and change. I don't know if that helps.

As for loading - it took 1-2 seconds to load for me.

What is your location?

You are using IE / FF?

Are you using a proxy?

How does this load for you: http://www.germany1939.com/axis-allies/index.php

Jade Elizabeth

Had to use a proxy, school blocks even the most educational of sites ;)

No, you cannot tell what folder it's being pulled from unless you're a smartass....I'll tell you when I'm able to not use a proxy ;D.

QuoteYou cannot access the following Web address:
http://www.germany1939.com/axis-allies/index.php

******** County Schools (*CS) preferred instructional search engine for staff and students is NetTrekker. NetTrekker provides grade appropriate education web sites that have been vetted by educators. The web sites are also correlated to Georgia State Standards. A NetTrekker icon is provided on each school networked computer. *CS also provides students, staff, and parents NetTrekker access at home. Please consider first using NetTrekker when searching for instructional web sites. The site you requested is blocked under the following categories: User Defined Category 0

Oh, you should feel special lol. Cat 0 means it was HAND BLOCKED!
Like my site :D

(well it usually means it was hand blocked)

Looking

Oh well that is explained. Hand Blocked? I think I know why, it is part of a game script for WW 2, probably too many guys from your school was playing. ;)

Check this one, it is actually recommended by educational institutions, so if that is blocked then it is doing it based on keywords:
http://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php

Jade Elizabeth

I can....heaps of missing images though...

Doesnt look too good :S.

Looking

Definitely on your end (connection).

You can PM me the IP / Proxy are using and I can investigate further.

Advertisement: