Who's Online - status ??? nothing - or nothing you can see..... ????

Started by sck, January 10, 2009, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

Quote from: swyl on January 20, 2009, 03:25:51 AM
Quotelol////

Well, I woke up again today to find my forum sql has disappeared, the thing doesn't even register as having 0 databases...

You can laugh.

I'm starting to wonder.

You know?...... you have been running around like a chicken without a head.      Who cares if 99% of the mods here dont have a "who" code?  No need to worry,..its not nessesary to have.

The above link posted should fix some of it.  If you follow directions on it you should be ok.....

...cant make it work?,...forget about it.    AGAIN...... dont beat yourself if you see "unknown action" or "nothing to see here" etc.

Really,i dont know how many times we have to say the same thing over and over.

SlammedDime

Quote from: BlueDevil on January 20, 2009, 04:55:12 PM
Quote from: swyl on January 20, 2009, 03:25:51 AM
Quotelol////

Well, I woke up again today to find my forum sql has disappeared, the thing doesn't even register as having 0 databases...

You can laugh.

I'm starting to wonder.

You know?...... you have been running around like a chicken without a head.      Who cares if 99% of the mods here dont have a "who" code?  No need to worry,..its not nessesary to have.

The above link posted should fix some of it.  If you follow directions on it you should be ok.....

...cant make it work?,...forget about it.    AGAIN...... dont beat yourself if you see "unknown action" or "nothing to see here" etc.

Really,i dont know how many times we have to say the same thing over and over.
As he has been trying to say, he does NOT have any mods that should be giving that message, so he is curious what action in SMF they are doing to cause it.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

mikemastercorp

I can confirm on SMF 2.0.3 that the tweak does not help much and it still appear. Not that it bothers me much, however it will be nice to know if any violent user is trying to achieve something against the other users/board, so that is why it is sort of nice and more of like mandatory to have that info.

I know some of you have said several times that it is nothing to worry about, however if a thing does not work properly, don't you guys think we should find a way to trick it instead of ignoring it? It sounds to me like this: Well, excuse me, I cannot register on your board... Well, Sir, there is nothing to worry about as you can still read the board despite the fact that you will not be able to do the other things that are for registered users only, but do not smash your head against a wall it is not a big deal.. :)

Now seriously, is there anybody who have tried this and can confirm it is woking for him on SMF 2.0.3 as few guys here have mentioned that should work for 2.0 RC3 or RC5, but the thing was left after what for some more than 120 days ;)

Arantor

QuoteI can confirm on SMF 2.0.3 that the tweak does not help much and it still appear.

The tweak won't prevent it, it was never about preventing it.

The reality is that users can and will do all kinds of crazy things in trying to break into a site, and if you have mods that are badly behaved that's another cause of 'unknown action'. You can't really do that much about it at all - especially if you uninstalled a mod, people might still be trying to use the links from it (e.g. search engines if it was content shown to guests)

QuoteI know some of you have said several times that it is nothing to worry about, however if a thing does not work properly, don't you guys think we should find a way to trick it instead of ignoring it?

It works exactly as designed. What would you have it do, exactly? If the action is *unknown*, it's *unknown*. You can't just pluck the answer out of nowhere, nor can you program for all possible actions because that would be a massive, massive list. All the actions that SMF itself knows about are programmed in. Any mods that add actions should declare them (but a lot don't, because they're essentially lazy)

Advertisement: