News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] Burning Board 3

Started by ThorstenE, January 19, 2009, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThorstenE

Software: Burning Board
Version: 3.0.x

This is the official support topic for Burning Board3 converter.  Use this topic to ask for support for this converter.

Note: This was tested on Burning Board 3, but should in theory work on other versions of  Woltlab Burning Board 3.x if the database changes have not been to great.

wbb3_migration.php
For the conversion to be able to complete, the wbb3_migration.php file is required. You will need to modify this file to reflect your Database name and Database prefix and upload to your Burning Board directory.

Does Not Convert

• Permissions (This might not be supported at all so please check permissions before making the board live.  Everything will be admin only for board access.)

• Membergroups

Password Support
Burning Board 3 has their own custom password hash so you need to edit LogInOut.php to add support for password conversion. Alternatively, you can used the wbb3_Login_Fix.zip modification (attached below) via Package Manager.

How to convert
Use this convert.php with the .sql file attached in this topic.

zeitwort

I tried to convert from wbb3 and got this info:  :(

Converting members... Unsuccessful!
This query:

ALTER TABLE `zeitwortsql5`.smf_members
    CHANGE COLUMN passwordSalt passwordSalt varchar(40) NOT NULL default '';

Caused the error:

Unknown column 'passwordSalt' in 'smf_members'

Now I can't login in SMF with my old username.
Wenn du merkst, dass du ein totes Pferd reitest - steig ab!

ThorstenE

The converter is for SMF 1.1.x only at the moment. I believe you tried converting to SMF 2.0 RC1 instead?

zeitwort

Thank you for this converter - he works good and fast ( only 1 hour for 150.000 posts)  :)

Is it possible to convert also the Links in the quotes?

I give you an example:

SMF
[quote author=krahi link=topic=8616.msg157025#msg157025 date=1243797356]

wbb3
[quote='krahi',index.php?page=Thread&postID=157025#post157025]

ThorstenE

in general that's possible, but it requires a lot of developement time.. Internal SMF links use the ID_TOPIC (unique ID from a Topic) whereas WBB3 Links only use the ID_MSG  (unique ID from the messages).

JaKe.OnE

I converted from wbb3.0.9 to SMF1.1.9. Worked fine!
The only problem are still the passwords, but it seems the fault is only on my side because I have not set a FTP user to apply the package because I only have a SSH root.
I will check this.

Thanks for the good work!

ThorstenE

there is only one line changed in /Sources/LoginOut.php

you can change these line manually, open the LogInOut.php with a text-editor and search for:

// Maybe they are using a hash from before the password fix.

add after:

// BurningBoard3 Login Method (double salted SHA1)
elseif (strlen($user_settings['passwordSalt']) == 40)
$other_passwords[] = sha1($user_settings['passwordSalt'] . sha1($user_settings['passwordSalt'] . sha1($_REQUEST['passwrd'])));

zeitwort

Quote from: TE on June 01, 2009, 10:35:29 AM
in general that's possible, but it requires a lot of developement time.. Internal SMF links use the ID_TOPIC (unique ID from a Topic) whereas WBB3 Links only use the ID_MSG  (unique ID from the messages).

Would you help me to design a step by step query?

We have id_msg and id_topic in the same table

UPDATE `smf_messages`
SET `body` = replace(`body`, "[quote='","[quote author=")

UPDATE `smf_messages`
SET `body` = replace(`body`, "[#post","#msg")

UPDATE `smf_messages`
SET `body` = replace(`body`, "',index.php?page=Thread&postID=","xxxxxxxxx")

I don't know how to get the id_topic for xxxxxxxxx

H

zeitwort, do you still want help with this? :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

zeitwort

Of course - I would be very happy if you could help me. :D

dieter4

I found a bug: If more than one WBB's board id/category id are > 255 the converter cannot convert.

The converter will complain about "duplicate entry 255" and stops. I'm still trying to figure out how to solve this problem.

*edit*
A dirty fix: Increase all ID_BOARD and ID_Cats to INT(10).

*edit2*
At "Recalculation statistics" the converter stops because of "Undefined variable: to_prefix". But the forum is working as far as I tested.

ThorstenE

Thanks Neakro ;)
Our tools "Fix High Category ids" should fix the issues related to high categories.. (not a bug, the ID_CAT column is TINYINT unsigned )
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=274252.0

dieter4

Oops, sorry :(

The forum runs very well, thank you guys :D

asadmaloja

Hi,

Complete newbie here, trying to help a forum in distress.
I have installed SMF (a breeze) and I am now trying to convert existing Woltlab Burning Board.

First hurdle is, how do I find out which version of Burning Board is current forum using. Forum is currently down, but I do have access to MySQL database and files on the webhost.

I assumed, but could be wrong (see above) that the current forum is using 3.x Burning Board. However, I find instructions a bit lacking.

I downloaded all three files from the opening post and placed them in smf folder, however there is no convert.php file in my smf folder.
I tried using wbb3_migration.php in the url , but I am presented with a blank page with no errors. Same happens if I try renaming wbb3_migration.php to convert.php.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Probably something stupid.

ThorstenE

WBB3 is splitted into the board and the community framework.. check your database with phpMyAdmin first. Are there tables named wcf_1_1.yyyy (then it's a WBB3).

Then download convert.php, wbb3_to_smf.sql and wbb3_migration.php. create a folder named wbb3 and place the wbb3_migration.php in this folder (after you have edited that file and changed the variables with your databasename / table prefix).
upload convert.php and wbb3_to_smf.sql to your newly installed SMF and start convert.php with a webbrowser.

asadmaloja

Thanks TE. Let me try this and I'll keep you posted.

asadmaloja

I was able to get to convert.php, but I run into a new problem(s).
The first problem is within convert.php where it asks for paths to SMF and Burning Board.
It accepts the default entry for SMF (e.g. /public_html/smf) but does not accept Burning Board entry /public_html/forum. I thought I found a workaround and that it was looking for wbb3_migration.php which I placed in /public_html/smf/wbb3 and it started chugging along converting stuff. Everything looked fine until:

Unsuccessful!
This query:

REPLACE INTO {$to_prefix}settings (variable, value)
    VALUES ("conversion_time", 1251418046),
    ("conversion_from", "wbb3_to_smf.sql");

Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '{$to_prefix}settings (variable, value)
    VALUES ("conversion_time", 1251418046)' at line 1

I thought that this might be just an entry that tells when the conversion was done, and therefore rather uninmportant. So I went and logged into new smf forum but it is empty, although it does accept my username/password from the old forum. There are no posts, no topics, and no boards visible in the new smf forum.
On top of that, my administrator user/password that I created when I installed smf does not exist anymore.

I checked MySQL and tables seem to be populated, but no boards, topics or posts can be seen when I login (remember I login with my username/password from old forum).

SO, how do I declare myself admin again? What happened with boards, topics and posts, why are they not visible?

Your help is truly appreciated.

ThorstenE

asadmaloja,
the pathes in convert.php are absolute pathes.. path for SMF is automatically detected right (something like /home/user1/public_html ...)the path from WBB should be slightly different at the end.

maybe the board was fully converted but you don't have the login fix installed?

I accidentally deleted my admin account, what do I do?

note: the permissions are not converted,  everything will be admin only for board access.

asadmaloja

Thank you once again TE.

I figured out that everything was converted but hidden.
I resolved the issue of no admin account by running install again, created admin account and I was able to get in.

However, a lot of members are compalining about their passwords not working (old ones), although there are some members for whom old passwords work. I think that (at least) some of them forgot their original passwords.

I will look elsewhere on the forum, but is there an option where a member can enter their registered email address and that a new password gets generated and sent to it. I know that this can be done for the new members, but I would like to give this option to already existing members.

Oh, and ungrateful b^%4stards are complaining about smiley's already, forgetting that for weeks they were not able to login into their (old) forum.  >:( Just kidding, I know that would be the case, so I will have to research smileys.

Thanks for your help.

ThorstenE

WBB3 is using a new password encryption, this encryption is not supported by default.  You should install the burningboard_login_fix.zip  (attachment, first post from this topic), then users can login witzh their old passwords.

For the Smileys: enable custom smileys in SMF and set the old Smileys-Code for your smileys.
Smileys and Message Icons

Advertisement: