News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

how i create bakup from phpmyadmin

Started by andsim, January 20, 2009, 10:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andsim

hi there, how i create a backup to my hard drive using phpmyadmin ty

eagled2

Well smf has a backup option that backs up the database in maintenance but if you really need to do it directly from the database you would need to look for the export option. Then export whichever databases and tables you need.

andsim

Quote from: eagled2 on January 21, 2009, 03:46:06 PM
Well smf has a backup option that backs up the database in maintenance but if you really need to do it directly from the database you would need to look for the export option. Then export whichever databases and tables you need.
how about restoring?

10dc

maybe on webhosting you have control panel for back up automatic.
evry weeks or every day.
Great it :)
Forum Camfrog Persahabatan Indonesia : www.forum-pi.com  |  www.udin.web.id

eagled2

Quote from: lord voldermort on January 21, 2009, 08:00:22 PM
evry weeks or every day.
If you hosting has cron jobs you could setup an auto backup as voldermort suggested. As far as restoring is concered that has to be done directly from the database as there is no restore feature in smf. Look for import to restore the database in phpmyadmin.

Sean G.

Quote from: eagled2 on January 21, 2009, 08:37:08 PM
Quote from: lord voldermort on January 21, 2009, 08:00:22 PM
every weeks or every day.
If you hosting has cron jobs you could setup an auto backup as voldermort suggested. As far as restoring is concerned that has to be done directly from the database as there is no restore feature in smf. Look for import to restore the database in phpmyadmin.

When you are restoring the DB, whether it be from the control panel of your hosting provider or through SMF admin, what else to you need to back up?  ie...zipping up the entire formum directory...

Also, when you back up the DB using the SMF web interface option and save it to your hard drive, how do you restore it if you have your DB hosted on another server and not your own computer?

So in a nutshell, say I'm at a point I am happy with the look and layout...what complete steps are needed to make sure that if a mistake is made, either from mod or other error, that I could take to ensure the site was perfectly in order after a restore?

Hope that made sense.  Thanks again.

Sean.

eagled2

You should make a complete backup of your database and at least the sources and your theme directory. It wouldn't be a bad idea to copy your entire folder but most mods only change files in the sources and theme folders. As far as saving the database backup to your hard drive is concerned you would use a tool such as phpmyadmin to import the backup you saved on your hard drive when you needed to restore it.

andsim

i am new with cron system, i dont how it work sorry, if some could give some example i willl use it

greyknight17

I would stick with phpMyAdmin since it's probably one of the more simpler methods. You can also use it to restore the backup. If your database is too large for phpMyAdmin to restore, you can also use other methods. Try using restore_backup.php to restore your database. If that doesn't work, use BigDump to do this.

If you still want to learn how to use cron jobs, see here. It should be similar if you are using cPanel.

Advertisement: