Post to Forum from E-Mail

Started by eagled2, January 21, 2009, 01:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagled2

Hi,
     My name is Denzel and I have just setup a smf 2rc4 board and so far I like it. I am thinking of setting it up a community site but am looking for a feature I can't find a mod for. I don't know much about programming or I would try to write it myself.

What I'm looking for is the ability to post to a specific board from an email address. I plan on setting up a specific email account for this purpose and then having the emails forwarded to whatever address posts it to the forum. The reason I want this is so I can have all posts from an email group from yahoo be posted on the forum.

There was a similar mod written for smf 1 that allowed users to post by replying to the post notification. That's not exactly what i'm looking for but I thought the code might be helpful so here is the link.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=168.

eagled2

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this type of post but I couldn't find a place specifically for new mod requests. If there is a better place please move my post.

eagled2

I realize this is an unusual request and that asking someone else to program something for you is unlikely to happen unless they find a use for it themselves or are getting paid. I assume this is possible since there was a similar mod created. If there is no one that finds it worth while to program this mod can someone give me some ideas on how to go about making the mod myself. I know some php and mysql and with the help of online tutorials and manuals know most of the basics.

The community i'm making the forum for currently uses several yahoo groups for all there communication and I thought if I could automate the process of posting some of the posts from one of the main groups it would help with the transition.

eagled2

Somehow I missed the modification request board when I first posted this. I re-posted this request in the correct place. Please close this topic.

greyknight17

Advertisement: