Can anyone help? Over 24 hours and no response? (changed subject line)

Started by Sean G., January 22, 2009, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean G.

Just to start off, I'll let you know that we have had many different problems after installing all of the language packs.  Is there a standard list of common language packs to install?  Also, is it a must to install these language packs before installing any mods?

Another question is about the default language.  When we setup our smf 2.0.4 beta, we chose the standard English over the English-utf8.  Is that ok, or do we need to convert our DB?

Last question.  I understand the importance of backing up the DB and have received great info just today on the proper procedure to do so, but as it relates to installed mod, is there a certain order that you have to un-install them ( or do we need to un-install them in the order they were installed)?

I'm sure there will be more questions, but it seems that most of our problems have come from language pack installations and mods.

Thanks for the help again.

Sean.

Sean G.

Anyway, my friend and I are sort of on hold until we know the answer to those questions?  I did a search, but had no luck on the specific questions.  I only ask them because we have had issues un-installing mods when they were installed before the language packs.  The other questions are really of importance to us as well.

Since I don't want to spam the board, is there a board dedicated to the style.css sheet for the 2.0.4 beta.  We have had some luck with customizing the images, but when trying to customize backgrounds and link colors, it's sort of been touchy.  Some text links you can see on one part of the page, but on other areas of the site, you can't see because lack of color difference in BG and link. 

I have gone through the CSS and tried to figure out what refers to this and what refers to that, but so far it has been a headache.  Just wish there were a blueprint for navigating through the css.

I sincerely appreciate the help, and I hope I am not bothering you guys too much. 

Sean

Tyrsson

No you do not have to add the language packs to install mods.

The best place to post the questions about the css is the graphics and templates board. If you will post your questions there someone that deals with this most of the time will find them faster.

As far as installing mods..... You should be able to uninstall them in any order; however sometimes this doesn't work if you have two mods that change code that is in the same area of a file because the xml will not find what its looking for. Most mods are tested and the search and replace is based on clean script. Which means some times you will not have errors on the install but when you try to uninstall you will get a test failed. Then you will need to remove the mod manually.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Sean G.

Quote from: Tyrsson on January 24, 2009, 01:58:30 AM
No you do not have to add the language packs to install mods.

The best place to post the questions about the css is the graphics and templates board. If you will post your questions there someone that deals with this most of the time will find them faster.

As far as installing mods..... You should be able to uninstall them in any order; however sometimes this doesn't work if you have two mods that change code that is in the same area of a file because the xml will not find what its looking for. Most mods are tested and the search and replace is based on clean script. Which means some times you will not have errors on the install but when you try to uninstall you will get a test failed. Then you will need to remove the mod manually.

Thank you for the info Tyrsson.  I guess the only thing left on the language is do you recommend that we convert our DB to engilish-UTF8?  We installed about 7 language packs, so I am thinking that the answer to the uft8 question is yes...but will wait until I hear back from you or someone else on this.

Thank you again for you help.

Tyrsson

Languages etc are not my strong point. Unless you have a specific need to convert I would stay with the standard.

I would wait until one of the people that specialize in that area post to this topic.

Sean G.

Ok, I will leave the DB the way it is for now until or unless I hear from someone who advises me otherwise.

BTW, I did post the CSS questions on the graphics and templates board.  Thank you for the referral and your help.

Sean.

Tyrsson

Your welcome,

I will pop in over there and see if someone has replied yet..

greyknight17

Sean, is this issue resolved now?

Since you have a lot of languages installed there, there will most likely be other extended characters used. I recommend converting the database to UTF-8. You may follow the instructions outlined here. I strongly suggest that you backup your database before doing this.

Advertisement: