News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

As "Curve" progresses

Started by SleePy, May 13, 2009, 06:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

It has been a while since we last updated you on the status of 2.0. I know most of you are itching to get your hands on our latest code and Curve, so here's a little update to get you up to speed.

So just what are we doing?
Well, Curve is not a normal theme like those we have released in the past. Babylon, Classic and Default did not have the changes that are going into Curve. We are rewriting all of our templates to use semantics, so with approximately 330 templates in SMF 2.0, this is a hefty task for the team to accomplish.
One major issue with converting our templates to be semantic is old themes. We are taking our time to ensure that once we have completed the new theme, that any theme based off it will still be able to work as it had before. While we can't be 100% perfect and account for every possible theme issue, we are doing our best to ensure a smooth upgrade.
In an effort to help with this, we selected a few theme designers from our community to help beta test Curve. This allows us to receive feedback on our progress from some of our theme designers. We hope that this finds any issues that theme designers would come across while making themes based off Curve.

So what else is going on?
In the time since 2.0 RC1 was released, we have fixed 279 reported bugs and logged 359 changes. Each day, those numbers continue to grow, so they could even be wrong now. While our theme continues to push forward, we also work to make the source more stable. This ultimately means a more stable release for our community.
As 2.0 is feature frozen, there aren't any new features to share, but a few minor features and enhancements have managed to sneak their way in. There has been a lot of optimization since RC1 and many features have been improved. We have had a few "Big Board" users take the leap to 2.0, and are working with them to optimize any slow queries they experience.
On a minor note, but just as important, we are working to push our Internationalization. One of the recent changes we have made is improving Right-to-Left language support. While this isn't complete yet, we are doing our best to make this work. We have many more surprises in store for our community, and hope that our approach to how SMF is translated and supported continue to improve.

In the end, this is our way of showing you that the whole team is working hard to polish up SMF and make an awesome release. I know many of you will ask, but we do not give release dates - it's ready when it's ready.

SleePy
Lead Spammer Customizer

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

JBlaze

Very nice update, SleePy. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on Curve.

I think a round of drinks is on me tonight for the Devs as well as anyone else who is working on this project.

See ya all at the bar :P

Regards,
JBlaze
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

jossanaijr

islam2hamy

Arabic Translator - Web Designer
My Mods / My Themes  //  GfxLand

Dragooon

This is going really good :), everything is coming up better than it has ever been. Keep up the good work! :)

Crasy

It's too bad that the tradeoff to get a great product is more time.

Great product?
Patience?
I'll take the great product, thanks.

Impatiently being patient  ;)

Gary

I cant wait to get my hands on Curve!

<some guy whispers something to Gars>
Huh? Oh right. I don't need to.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Antechinus

Quote from: JBlaze™ on May 13, 2009, 07:04:53 PM
Very nice update, SleePy. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on Curve.

I think a round of drinks is on me tonight for the Devs as well as anyone else who is working on this project.

Regards,
JBlaze
Hey it's just a theme dude. Chill.  ;D

JBlaze

Quote from: Antechinus on May 16, 2009, 01:03:40 AM

Regards,
JBlaze

Just a theme maybe...

But a theme with a Curve :P
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Crasy

Quote from: JBlaze on May 16, 2009, 01:08:20 AM
Quote from: Antechinus on May 16, 2009, 01:03:40 AM

Regards,
JBlaze

Just a theme maybe...

But a theme with a Curve :P

Is this gonna be one of those bars with Curves?

Because I'm not old enough to come then...

babjusi

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work guys :)

MultiformeIngegno

Thanks for the update!! You rock!! :D
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Alpay

Even if waiting is too hard there's nothin to do  :)
Thanks.

Advertisement: