News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

A Quick Query

Started by mattchewone, January 24, 2009, 07:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattchewone

Hi, im am new to the site.

I have downloaded and installed smf (well my dad has to our server at home) we are having problems with the file permissions. We have chmod'ed the ones that need to be changed. But we cant understand why under Main/Package Manager/File Permissions on the board you cannot change the files back to read only.
We have tried almost everything we think but we are having great difficulties is there anything we have missed?

We are not sure if we are getting the FTP server address wrong  ??? or the local path but we have tried almost everything.

Also is there a way to add additional text underneath the members group to say something such as "senior spammer" or something as such.

Thanks

greyknight17

Welcome to SMF.

If you can't change your file permissions within the SMF admin area, that means one of your FTP login credentials there is typed in wrong. You need to find out exactly what you should put in those fields. FTP Server is usually just localhost. The username and password should be the same one you use to login to your FTP and/or webhost control panel. The local path can be tricky. You will need to play with it a little and try adding or removing some paths to see which one is the correct one. Try using the path that you get when you use a FTP program to get to your webserver.

mattchewone

We have tried almost every path we can think of.

My dad thinks that it may be because the server will not allow FTP and only allow SFTP. We have tried using port 22 and 20 but still nothing.

Will just have to leave it and chmod it on the ftp manually everytime i want install something.

Advertisement: