My Tips for Building Active Community!

Started by alex30, January 25, 2009, 11:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

You could always sign up a second account and post yourself.

alex30

It's this mod, unfortunately it's not compatible with your version of SMF. But you can still install it manually.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=978

Arantor

You will not be able to use that mod on 2.0; it is designed for 1.1 - and note that even its author does not support it now.

To be able to use it would be a complete rewrite.

Groundhog

Quote from: nay27uk on August 25, 2009, 10:27:43 AM
Ive been looking for a mod for 2.0 RC1.2 that will alow me to make posts on my forums as alternat users. Please what do you sujest using

This update works well for me (2.0 RC1). Download at: Reply #36
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=280897.msg2129057#msg2129057

Arantor

Except that a mod author is not supposed to reuse code without permission from the original author.

nay27uk

Quote from: Groundhog on August 25, 2009, 01:57:22 PM
Quote from: nay27uk on August 25, 2009, 10:27:43 AM
Ive been looking for a mod for 2.0 RC1.2 that will alow me to make posts on my forums as alternat users. Please what do you sujest using

This update works well for me (2.0 RC1). Download at: Reply #36
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=280897.msg2129057#msg2129057

Thanks used that and it works, Shame ther is no mod for adding members and lots of them set on a timer maybe adding about 5-6 members a day

Arantor

Quote from: nay27uk on August 27, 2009, 05:54:29 PM
Thanks used that and it works, Shame ther is no mod for adding members and lots of them set on a timer maybe adding about 5-6 members a day

Oh, you probably could do that without that much work if you wanted to, but unless they are going to be recipients of alternate posts, it's not really worth doing.

In 2.0 it wouldn't even be that hard to implement as a Scheduled Task.

thefley

Quote from: alex30 on January 25, 2009, 11:16:36 PM

One more thing that you want to do is to set up treshhold (Admin -> Features and Options) to some unbelievable numbers, for example 30000. Remove "User for the Past 15 Minutes", you don't want to see there 3000. Second, you want to rename "Users Online" to something that will show that there are really 100 currently members online, you may use what I used - "Currently Users Online."

Also, I would suggest you to remove "Most Online Today:" and "Most Online Ever:" because once you'll start promoting your forum all of the guests that will come to your forum will be added to those numbers and after a while there will be a huge number and it will look suspicious, you don't want that.

This will keep that active mood on forum, it will show that there are always members on forum and plus it will attract guests to register and start posting.

These are my tips SMF members. I hope they will help you.

HOW do I do this?

www.greatplainsriders.com

alex30

Pleas post this question in SMF 1.x Support.

whip_cracker

cheers for the info mate...

I had my guests locked down to only view the "About the forum" board and couldn't see the rest of it unless they signed up.

You reckon that is a good way to go, or best to let the Guest see everything before they sign up?

alex30

Yes, my advice is to let guests see the whole forum.  Use one of the mods that will appear in front of the guests saying "Register with our community and blah, blah" This is better in my opinion then limiting people to see your forums.

sasca

Hello ! I have been reading this forum a lot , just now decided to start writing as well.
I very much like your ideas Alex30 , and had a couple of questions:

first of all advertising on craigslist , how effective would it be if I am running a classifieds site as well ... would it be possible to still advertise in niches ( i.e pets ads and such )

Please any feed back greatly appreciated

my forum is at  hxxp:redleafads.com/ [nonactive] forum 

sasca

speaking of a website I meant forum in prvious post, I guess I just wanted to ask as far as the content , what would u suggest be good categories as well ? I tried searching , have a couple of things in mind...

thanx in advance for your reply

DazzleStar

Thanks for the advise.

I hope that I can get a lot members on my brandnew Dutch Ancient Egypt-forum.

alex30

sasca choose city and then community for advertising your forum.

PalmBeachPreps

Quote from: shanksta13 on January 26, 2009, 12:50:43 AM

If you feel like taking a look at mine and making suggestions that would be awesome.  I've been killing myself trying to get new members.

http://secsportshub.com/main/index.php?option=com_smf&view=forum&Itemid=252
Wow, dude!  That seems like a great forum, looks good too!  I'm going to sign up for sure.

Here's mine: http://www.palmbeachpreps.com/index.php?action=forum

alex30

PalmBeachPreps do you think about changing theme of your forum? Or you're fine with what you have? Seems a bit old fashioned.

Doreen Payne

thanks for the tips. I am going to use them to improve my forum

Advertisement: