My Tips for Building Active Community!

Started by alex30, January 25, 2009, 11:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KensonPlays

alex, I would suggest to NOT make other accounts to post as, once your forum is active, people will notice that they aren't on the forum anymore...!! But other than that, good advice and bookmarked!

james45

hi i am running a computer forum can anyone tell me of a good theme to get started with?

alex30

Kcmartz true that people can see it, but once your forum is active, just simply remove those accounts.

james45 under search of them section, type in 'computer'

Ashley S

Cassiel

Quote from: alex30 on March 13, 2010, 05:12:31 PM
Kcmartz true that people can see it, but once your forum is active, just simply remove those accounts.

Yeah, but then having a bunch of posts that say "Guest" doesn't help. It just makes it seem like a bunch of people left your forum. :P

rd

Making a forum like that with fake posts doesn't really work. Also, it's kinda annoying to talk to youself, lol.

Ashley S

alex30

You do whatever you want to do to ensure that you keep active community.

It worked for me, but may not work for you.

perplexed

Quote from: Royalduke on March 14, 2010, 10:15:01 AM
Making a forum like that with fake posts doesn't really work. Also, it's kinda annoying to talk to youself, lol.

I guess the trick is to be able to talk to yourself without all the posts looking like they come from the same person/same style.  It would help to have MPD.

A lot of people recommend starting up a forum with a few dummy users just to make it look better but I don't think it's something that works long term.

rd

Quote from: perplexed on March 14, 2010, 02:11:21 PM
Quote from: Royalduke on March 14, 2010, 10:15:01 AM

I guess the trick is to be able to talk to yourself without all the posts looking like they come from the same person/same style.  It would help to have MPD.

A lot of people recommend starting up a forum with a few dummy users just to make it look better but I don't think it's something that works long term.

You have no idea how easy it is for an average person to spot someone with the same personality. Sometime you can tell with the words they use, their mood, or even the spelling mistakes they make.

Cassiel

It all depends on how. The problem lies in variability. Not in the way you talk, but in your userbase. If every member of your forum posted "li3k d1s" then someone is going to think thats fishy. But if you have different styles of writing in the way you talk then it makes it less obvious that it's done by the same person. With more people to diffuse the writing styles over it becomes harder to pinpoint the copy-users.

Wait....why the hell am I explaining this when I don't even condone it?

* Cassiel shrugs.

alex30

Cassiel good that you explained for that bunch of kids.

Blah blah

Have you guys used Twitter at all to build interaction? I just signed up for my site.

Blah blah

Yeah that's kind of what I think is gonna happen  ::)

perplexed

well twitter is good for people who feel that they can say anything in what 160 characters, so those guys don't want to post on a forum lol

but you know, free promotion and all that, it can't hurt and maybe if we say something incredibly interesting some of those twits will join up :)

Galaxy Computers

Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Morris Technologies Computer Support Forum

alex30

When you add people, make sure to add only those people (civilians) who maybe interested in your web/forum content, and skip your competitors. Than your tweets would be actually useful. If you want to bring new members, you've got to post ads on craiglist every 2nd day.

Cassiel

Well twitter is good for brining in new members if other people RT your posts. But I don't see that happening often with sites and businesses. I guess twitter falls more in the "Keep the members" side than the "Bring in new members" side.

However, for members of your site that are following your Twitter it helps to keep them involved with the forum better than if they were just getting the news from your forum's newletter (if you have one).

It also is a good indicator of your activity level. ;)

Blah blah

Quote from: Cassiel on March 18, 2010, 11:06:57 PM
Well twitter is good for brining in new members if other people RT your posts. But I don't see that happening often with sites and businesses. I guess twitter falls more in the "Keep the members" side than the "Bring in new members" side.

However, for members of your site that are following your Twitter it helps to keep them involved with the forum better than if they were just getting the news from your forum's newletter (if you have one).

It also is a good indicator of your activity level. ;)

Thats what I think too, people that are already posting members feel like they are more "in the know"... and who knows? Maybe someone will see me tweeting about a contest of ours and join up  :P

Advertisement: