Can't move SMF forum to new host

Started by riker, January 31, 2009, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riker

My sons forum is hosted on a rather pathetic host who thinks reseting the sql servers every 15 minutes or so is a good idea.  Now as you can imagine anyone hoping to attract or even keep members while this is going on is kidding themselves and yes my sons clan forum is just about dead now thanks to them.

The problem I have is every-time I try backups either from SMF or phpmyadmin they come up with errors on new hosts (tried a few) and so I'm hoping when I upgrade (he's on Beta 3.1) it will fix this and allow a decent backup.  The only problem I have is I don't want to mess about upgrading it to beta 4 if RC1 is due out.  Now I know the crew here don't like giving dates etc but are we talking months, weeks or days ?

NEMINI

Quote from: riker on January 31, 2009, 08:14:56 PM
... months, weeks or days ?

Yes :P  Charter members already have RC1.

What kind of errors do you get?  What version of mysql is your old host using?  Your new host?
signatures are boring.

Antechinus

If they are only minor syntax errors they can be fixed before importing the db. I had to do stacks of them on my backups and it wasn't the fault of 1.1.x (because once they are fixed they seem to stay that way).

Riker, I'll put it this way. I would be extremely surprised if it turned out to be months. Personally I expect it a lot sooner than that.

riker

OMG I don't believe this.  I've been trying this on and off for months and today I tried it again to get you the errors and the bloody thing installed without errors.  I'm going to try putting the rest of the forum on the new host and see what happens

Antechinus

riker

Quote from: Antechinus on February 01, 2009, 03:24:35 PM
:D Well that's not exactly tragic then.

Well  didn't work so I deleted the DB and tried installing it again and got the error.

Guess I'll have to wait for RC1 and help that fixes the DB  :-\

The funny thing is the site is working fine it just has issues giving a working backup

青山 素子

What version of MySQL are you backing up from? Where did you generate this?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

riker

Quote from: Motoko-chan on February 02, 2009, 01:08:15 PM
What version of MySQL are you backing up from? Where did you generate this?

The version it's currently on is "5.0.51" and I've tried backing up from the smf forum and PHPmyadmin.  As for the versions I've tried moving  too well I've tried just about every free host so most lol

The screenshot was generated straight after I tried uploading it

青山 素子

Quote from: riker on February 02, 2009, 01:32:07 PM
The version it's currently on is "5.0.51" and I've tried backing up from the smf forum and PHPmyadmin.

Backup from PHPMyAdmin. I recommend making the backup from the main database structure page (the one that lists all the tables on the right).

Make sure "Structure" is checked. Make sure "Add IF NOT EXISTS", "Add AUTO_INCREMENT value", and "Enclose table and field names with backquotes" are checked. All others should be unchecked (this is the program default).

Make sure "Data" is checked. Make sure "Complete inserts" and "Use hexadecimal for BLOB" are checked. All others should be unchecked.

It is especially important "Extended inserts" is NOT checked. That can cause issues on importing larger tables if you do not have control over the database server.

As for the versions I've tried moving  too well I've tried just about every free host so most lol

Many hosts are still running older versions of MySQL (mostly 4.1 and 4.0). These versions may not accept dumps made from a 5.0 database. Your best bet is to find a good paid host that can work with you to help import the backup properly. Free hosts will almost always be nothing but problems. You should check out our Hosts, Hosting and Commercial Services board along with WebHostingTalk to find a good host.

The screenshot was generated straight after I tried uploading it

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was wondering what tool generated that backup.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

riker

Followed your instructions and took a screenshot of the settings just before I downloaded it. Unfortunaly the backup didn't work but it did generate aload of different errors -

QuoteError
There is a chance that you may have found a bug in the SQL parser. Please examine your query closely, and check that the quotes are correct and not mis-matched. Other possible failure causes may be that you are uploading a file with binary outside of a quoted text area. You can also try your query on the MySQL command line interface. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem. If you still have problems or if the parser fails where the command line interface succeeds, please reduce your SQL query input to the single query that causes problems, and submit a bug report with the data chunk in the CUT section below:
----BEGIN CUT----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----END CUT----
----BEGIN RAW----

ERROR: C1 C2 LEN: 3 4 4305
STR: 

SVN: $Id: sqlparser.lib.php 11583 2008-09-11 17:03:49Z lem9 $
MySQL: 5.0.51a-21
USR OS, AGENT, VER: Win IE 7.0
PMA: 3.1.1
PHP VER,OS: 5.2.6-0.1~lenny1 Linux
LANG: en-utf-8
SQL:
PKWvB:��Ɍ��'a7647999_hk.sql��m{�8�(���W��g�ζ,�����Y'q:ގ�L��L��<nZ�mN$RKRq{w�|9����p��(II�I$�݉b�
���B���&7�����8���?��^MǓoww��a�EI���a�-��&�'�{{���}�f|@�~��!<�d��6J���_��a���y4���ᥦ���t�ׂ��o���x�,L1���f���eÓ�o�k,�F}��oώ�a�'�^l���8�x��⏇o?]�;
PKWvB:��Ɍ��'a7647999_hk.sql��m{�8�(���W��g�ζ,�����Y'q:ގ�L��L��<nZ�mN$RKRq{w�|9����p��(II�I$�݉b�
���B���&7�����8���?��^MǓoww��a�EI���a�-��&�'�{{���}�f|@�~��!<�d��6J���_��a���y4���ᥦ���t�ׂ��o���x�,L1���f���eÓ�o�k,�F}��oώ�a�'�^l���8�x��⏇o?]�;
���B���&7�����8���?��^MǓoww��a�EI���a�-��&�'�{{���}�f|@�~��!<�d��6J���_��a���y4���ᥦ���t�ׂ��o���x�,L1���f���eÓ�o�k,�F}��oώ�a�'�^l���8�x��⏇o?]�;----END RAW----

SQL query:

PKWvB:��Ɍ��'a7647999_hk.sql��m{�8�(���W��g�ζ,�����Y'q:ގ�L��L��<nZ�mN$RKRq{w�|9����p��(II�I$�݉b� ���B���&7�����8���?��^MǓoww��a�EI���a�-��&�'�{{���}�f|@�~��!<�d��6J���_��a���y4���ᥦ���t�ׂ��o���x�,L1���f���eÓ�o�k,�F}��oώ�a�'�^l���8�x��⏇o?]�;

MySQL said: 

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'PK' at line 1

The version of phpmyadmin I'm trying to move to this time is " 5.0.51a"

青山 素子

What are you uploading through? It's trying to parse the zip file directly.
Motoko-chan

riker

Quote from: Motoko-chan on February 02, 2009, 03:12:52 PM
What are you uploading through? It's trying to parse the zip file directly.
I saved it on phpmyadmin as a zip and uploaded it untouched

riker

ok unzipped it and it seems to have uploaded ok so just waiting for dns to kick in so I can test it out

riker

Right that fixed it thanks Motoko-chan  :)

青山 素子

Good to hear. If everything is solved, please mark it such by clicking on the "Topic Solved" link at the bottom left. Thanks!
Motoko-chan

Advertisement: