News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Moving host?

Started by eclipsenow, February 02, 2009, 07:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eclipsenow

OK, so there's archiving a file from a server/host and saving that, and then restoring to that same host.

But what has to change if one actually wants to save an archive file, and then restore it to another host / installation of SMF somewhere else? How does this work?

Because I'm having a terrible time trying to install a phpbb3 archive file I've got from my friend's server up onto my fresh install of phpbb3 on MY server, and this whole exercise is so that I can convert the phpbb3 file to SMF!
* Please don't PM me for help, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ANYWAY!
* Please tick your thread as "resolved" when after you have implemented solutions to your problem

Eclipse Now predicts...
2015: Airlines bankrupt, freight routes collapse, agricultural crisis and the "Greater Depression" begins. Welcome to the end of the oil age!  (We had better leave oil before it leaves us!)

sherpa サイバー侍

dont know how to move phpbb3
my suggestion just convert it to smf in recent server then move it to new server.
if both server using cPanel then very easy. just get the same username so you dont have to change it in settings.php

eclipsenow

Yeah, I love Cpanel.

I'm still trying to get the host password off my mate. (He keeps changing it for security). Sadly it's at Brinkster which doesn't have cpanel.  :-[

Will it corrupt the original forum when I transfer straight into SMF?

Does SMF transfer easily to a new host, or does it need config or settings files manually edited?
* Please tick your thread as "resolved" when after you have implemented solutions to your problem

Eclipse Now predicts...
2015: Airlines bankrupt, freight routes collapse, agricultural crisis and the "Greater Depression" begins. Welcome to the end of the oil age!  (We had better leave oil before it leaves us!)

sherpa サイバー侍

Dont know will it corrupt the original forum or not becosue never done before.
why dont we make a copy of all files and database just for incase. :p
Yes it transfer easily to new host.
some trick
If you want to run your forum in yourdomain.com/forum
then
download all your files and keep it inside the folder forum and zip the hole folder and upload zip file to your new host becouse I have seen many problem that ftp droping some file.

In cPanel normally database username and database name is accountname_username and accountname_databasename
you just need to change two or three line in setting.php

after you change setting.php download and upload repair_settings.php and run it.

OR
just make a fresh install of SMF (same version) in new host and drop the tables of fresh installed SMF and import your databse from old host.

eclipsenow

Your instructions above... do you mean copy the whole phpbb3 or SMF folder to my desktop? So does that mean that I should keep the install files after installing it the first time, but just put them in some other named folder in the meantime, so that "just in case" I need to copy the whole folder down they are still there?

Quote from: sherpa サイバー侍 on February 03, 2009, 02:27:21 AM
just make a fresh install of SMF (same version) in new host and drop the tables of fresh installed SMF and import your databse from old host.
Can you please explain "drop the tables".... is that in phpmyadmin? Highlight ALL the tables of that database and drop them? Wow, that's brave. I've seen it there in my wanderings but not known when I'd use it.

How do I replace them? Importing the database from the old host.... is that the archive file of SMF? Or something I have manually downloaded?

Eclipse Now predicts...

greyknight17

Advertisement: