Just a question from a newbie to converting

Started by IndigoStar, January 22, 2009, 09:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoStar

I am looking to convert to SMF from MyBB

Would you suggest me disabling plugins on MyBB before the move ?

Also do the catergries and posts just look the same just different software offcourse ?

So nervous but looking forward to coming over

ThorstenE

The conversion itself is like taking a snapshot from your MyBB data.. all posts, members, topics etc. will be imported in your newly installed SMF  during conversion. It will not modify any data from your MyBB. So you can try SMF without a risk..

first off all you should install an SMF in a diffrent directory (a subfolder for example).. create a new directory with your FTP software and upload all files from the install package from our downloads page to this folder.

This  guide should help you:
Installing SMF

The conversion is described here: Converting to SMF

IndigoStar

Thankyou for your reply thats good to know

So all that transfers is my posts,threads,members onto a fresh install of SMF that sounds good

Just all these thoughts pop into my head about corrupt database and such me over reacting as usual

Star

SleePy

Yes, this only transfer the data. Some converters may convert more and others less. Depending on how complicated it is to get that data in the first place.

The converter will not modify anything on your current board. It will only duplicate it all over and change it to work with SMF. This way after you are done, you can easily delete your old forum (once you are 100% sure you don't need it anymore).
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

IndigoStar

The main reason for a move is that there seems to be a problem with the MyBB software

Every so often a member trys and logins in and cant, Even when they have tried to get a new password still cant login. I then give them a new password and still cannot login

I am hoping a move to SMF will stop this problem

Another reason for a move to SMF is its great software and need a decent front page portal for my 250+ and growing community - SMF has great software which is needed to take my website to the top me feels

Indigo

ThorstenE

IndigoStar, is this solved or do you still need our assistance?

Advertisement: