News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Post Preview not working

Started by sck, February 06, 2009, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sck

When I try to preview a post all I get is:
Fetching preview...

Packages Installed:
1. SMF 1.0.13 / 1.1.5 / 2.0 b3.1 Update 1.0 
2. Visual Verification Options 0.5 
3. reCAPTCHA for SMF 0.9.5    -  No longer working with 1.1.8
4. SMF 1.0.14 / 1.1.6 Update 1.0   
5. SMF 1.0.15 / 1.1.7 Update 1.0   
6. SMF 1.0.14 / 1.1.6 Update 1.0   
7. SMF 1.0.15 / 1.1.7 Update 1.0   
8. SMF 1.0.16 / 1.1.8 Update 1.0 

I am using the Extreme Yesil theme but I get the same error with the default, Snake, Black and Tan themes also.

IE has the following error on page msg:
Line: 148
Char: 12
Error: 'getElementsByTagName(...).0'is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: http://mysite.net/mysiteforum/index.php?

Thanks in advance

Petee

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago after installing a mod. Somehow, one of the php files had a couple of blank lines after the closing ?> tag which hosed the preview and quotes up.

Look at the source code of one of your pages and see if there are any blank spaces/lines at the very top or at the very bottom.

sck

I have a single blank line at the top and at the bottom

Now where to go?

Petee

Search through your .php files until you find one that has the blanks above the <?php tag and below the ?> tag.  These tags should be the very first and last characters in each php file. 

You may want to start searching the files in your Themes/default/languages directory.

sck

OK, I know y'all must get tired of beginners like me but how do I open and view the .php files?  :-[  If I go to the file manager on my host server, it will only let me move/copy/delete the files.  I guess I could just copy them to my local machine but I'm not sure that will work either.

thanks

Petee

FTP them from your host to your local machine.

greyknight17

sck, is this issue resolved now? If not, can you also list all the mods you have installed?

Groundhog

Quote from: Petee on February 06, 2009, 11:44:43 AM
Search through your .php files until you find one that has the blanks above the <?php tag and below the ?> tag.  These tags should be the very first and last characters in each php file. 

You may want to start searching the files in your Themes/default/languages directory.

Thanks Petee

That tip also fixed a problem that I was having.

Regards  8)

silentrunner

Did sck get it fixed?

I'm having the same problem. I updated to the latest version on April 27 and I suspect that's when the problem began.

It does work in some threads, but not in all.

I've looked at all of the default/language English files plus some likely files in the default directory for the blank lines, but everything looks all right.

Anyone have anymore suggestions?

Advertisement: