News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Database changes in 2RC1?

Started by wakewatcher, February 06, 2009, 03:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakewatcher

I'm still a relative newbie here picking up 2b4 a few months ago.  I've done a few minor code hacks and browsed the new sources and it looks like I'm ok.  I've only got one mod, Order Custom Field (thanks LHVWB!) But since I've got them ordered I can uninstall it until updated.  However for my own site integration efforts I tickle the database and am depending on the 2b4 existing table names and field names (and data of course) to be untouched.  I couldn't tell from the upgrade.php that any existing things were changed but want to get verification before I pulled the trigger on the upgrade.  -thx-
smf 2.0.18

aldo

Well, I ran a Diff on SMF 2.0 Beta 4's SQL file and SMF 2.0 RC1's SQL file, and it doesn't seem like any columns have been renamed or removed.

So you should be able to upgrade, but of course, backup just incase.

wakewatcher

Thanks.  I'll inch forward on that. (I'm a bit gunshy on upgrading something that 'basically' works I upgraded a cms once and am still cursing the day.  :D  )   

ps.  What tool do you use to do a diff?  And it sounds like you must have two instances if you had something to compare to. ?
smf 2.0.18

aldo

Its an SVN program, TortoiseSVN. You select a couple files, right click > TortoiseSVN > Diff and it compares them.

karlbenson

Although there were none for b4 to rc1, there might be future ones for RC2.
So basically we're not saying there won't be any future ones.

wakewatcher

Thanks.  I appreciate that.  Does that mean that if/when that happens they will be described so we can adapt as necessary?
smf 2.0.18

karlbenson

You'll still need to run upgrade.php + replace the files for every RC until after final.
Once final, then future versions will be security releases (like 1.1.1 to 1.1.8), and will be able to be done as mod packages.

wakewatcher

Thanks.  I'll mark this as solved.
smf 2.0.18

Advertisement: