Changing welcome message and announcement default message at bottom

Started by KirkhamsEbooks, February 06, 2009, 07:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkhamsEbooks

Aloha

My first attempt at editing php but I'll be doing it on my test board. Can someone tell me which php script holds the welcome message and the default info at the bottom of the announcement message telling users they can unsubscribe

Rick

Antechinus

The first is in Themes/default/languages/index.english.php.

Which announcement message are you talking about? There are several. It's probably best to just quote it here.

Oh, and make a backup copy before editing any files. Much less stressful when you can simply reload a backup.

Also do not try to use a normal text editor for code work. Get this: Notepad++

It's free and it's very easy to set up and use too. Get the one called npp.5.1.4.Installer.exe

KirkhamsEbooks

Quote from: Antechinus on February 06, 2009, 11:18:10 PM
The first is in Themes/default/languages/index.english.php.

Which announcement message are you talking about? There are several. It's probably best to just quote it here.

Oh, and make a backup copy before editing any files. Much less stressful when you can simply reload a backup.

Also do not try to use a normal text editor for code work. Get this: Notepad++

It's free and it's very easy to set up and use too. Get the one called npp.5.1.4.Installer.exe

Thank you

When I send out announcements of a thread the bottom line says to unsubsubscribe from announcements then blah

I want to edit that

Rick

KirkhamsEbooks

I found the thread announcement in emailtemplates.english.php (duh) I'm still looking for the welcome message

I changed the subject from announcement to announcement by Admin

Figuring this will increase the chances of it being opened by users

Rick

KirkhamsEbooks

Grrrrrrrrrr

Where is this

To unsubscribe from these announcements

I changed it in Emailtemplate.english.php and it's still showing up

Thanks

Rick

greyknight17

Hi Rick, is this issue resolved now?

If you know the exact wording from the email regarding the unsubscribe text, you can do a search within your files to locate it.

KirkhamsEbooks

No sir it wasn't

I tried like heck but it must be some other location that I'm not aware of. I'd given up on getting help but you've spurred me on

Rick

Rumbaar

Try searching the $txt[] strings on the following site to find all possible areas you might have to change:
SMF Language Strings
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

KirkhamsEbooks

It wasn't in what was listed but I did find it here

EmailTemplates.english.php

I'll let you all know on the next test

Rick

Rumbaar

Isn't that the file you altered in your previous post?  So it wasn't correctly listed on that $txt[] string site I linked too?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

KirkhamsEbooks

No, I did a search for the word announcement and found profileenglish.php or something like that

Rick

greyknight17

If you provide us the original text of that announcement message, we can look it up for you and tell you exactly which file and variable it belongs to.

Rumbaar

Quote from: KirkhamsEbooks on March 16, 2009, 01:07:19 PMNo, I did a search for the word announcement and found profileenglish.php or something like that
Not to split hairs but this is where you mentioned it
Quote from: KirkhamsEbooks on February 10, 2009, 02:17:21 AMI changed it in Emailtemplate.english.php and it's still showing up

But glad you found all the areas you needed.

[ Themes ]

KirkhamsEbooks

I sent out an announcement so cyberran over here to paste the text

To unsubscribe from these announcements, login to the forum and uncheck "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email." in your profile.

is what I'd like to edit

Rick

Rumbaar

Quote from: Rumbaar on March 15, 2009, 10:19:15 PM
Try searching the $txt[] strings on the following site to find all possible areas you might have to change:
SMF Language Strings

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: