SMF 2.0 Beta 4 upgrade to 2.0 RC1

Started by aED, February 07, 2009, 01:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aED

Hi,

Do I really need to uninstall my mods first before upgrading? I have lots of manually added mods which cannot be removed through package manager or its ok to just upgrade to 2.0 RC1?

Thanks

KahneFan

Well... you can try to upgrade with them... but I wouldn't. If the manual adjustments were made to custom theme files, you'll be fine. The new mod package will only overwrite the {default} theme package(s). If you've made adjustments to the default theme... maybe save your default theme locally so you can easily redo the changes.

I tried installing over themes and had issue with some. I've got it all fixed now, but still wasn't fun :D

As always... BACKUP!
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

ivantoar

Don't repeat my fault!

Just uninstall all of the mods and make backup. Trust me.

I've upgraded my forum a hour ago and forget to make backup because I haven't experienced any errors or troubles at installing or upgrading. Now my forums are crashed, nothing to do except re-install new one.

Lucky it's a new forum with 0 posts.

Black_Bud

I would be very, very cautious about installing SMF 2.0 RC 1 with the mods still active:

1.)  The installer supposedly handles the problem of disabling/re-enabling mods (if compatible); I found that it was less-than-thorough and left a mod (Users Online Today in my case) either active or corrupted.  That caused a fatal error which could be resolved only by a reinstall of the entire package (a restore from the ground up).

2.)  On top of that, even mods that supposedly were able to be reactivated automatically (at least, that's how I understood it) were not.  If one has a lot of "surviving" mods, that's a lot of re-installs from the Admin panel; the "dead" ones may well not have been updated yet.

3.)  As has been said before, if you DO go ahead:  MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE YOU START!

Pullin' in the traces.

Tyrsson

Here is what you can do in this case.

1. Download a copy of your settings.php and settings_bak.php (be sure to keep these).

2. Download a fresh archive of the version you are using now and unzip it. Remove the install.php, settings.php and settings_bak.php.

3. Double check that you have your settings files (from your forum) and then delete the files and folders in the forum directory if the forum is in a sub directory make sure to leave that main folder so you can upload the new files to it so that you will maintain the same directory structure (very important).

4. Add your current settings.php and settings_bak.php (that you downloaded in step 1) to the archive (that you downloaded in step 2) and upload it to your hosting space in the same location as the original forum. This will set your script back to 'vanilla'. Log in for a minute to make sure the paths and settings files allow you to connect to the database (if the directory structure was maintained then you will be able to login).

4. Download a upgrade package and upload it to your hosting space.

5. Run the upgrade.

I know this is a lot of work but its easier than uninstalling a long list of mods that you may not want to chance having installed during the upgrade.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

aED

Thanks for your replies... I guess I would be coding again for days just to reinstall my mods... Its better safe than sorry...

Thanks...

Advertisement: