News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Themes won't work

Started by rarach, February 17, 2009, 08:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rarach

I have 2.0 up and running now, but every theme that I have tried to use on my forum will not show up as a theme. The forum shows up all white with the text on it, like in a very raw state. Almost like when you view a page on firefox after selecting "no style" for page style. I haven't been able to find any information regarding this. Does anyone have a solution? Is there something I'm not doing right?

Thanks

bullbreedluverz

ive had this happen and it was cuz the theme file pathways werent pointing to the theme in the theme directory, dont know if its the same reason for you but check

Admin > Configuration > Themes & Layout > Theme Settings

then click on the themes that arent working and check the pathway is to the themes folder on your server

e.g.

http://www.myforum.com/forum/Themes/default
http://www.myforum.com/forum/Themes/default/images
/home/myforum/public_html/forum/Themes/default

each of the theme should have the same pathway with just the theme name changing for each theme - if the pathway isnt right then when you select custom theme it will just display white page with text as its not calling no theme files to be displayed

Antechinus

Yep. There's an "Attempt to reset all themes" option at the bottom of the page that Bullbreedz mentioned. Usually that will fix the paths. Try that first.

Also, clear your browser cache and do a refresh before checking the results.

rarach

Alright, thanks for the replies.

I checked into the paths, and came to find out that there are absolutely no files related to the themes when I looked in the themes folder on my ftp program. Did 2.0 not really install the themes when I told it to? I tried to manually add the folder for one of the themes, but the files weren't successfully transferring.

Tyrsson

Make sure the permissions are set to 755 or 777 for the themes directory.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

rarach

It was set at 755 at first, and I had changed it to 777. Neither seem to work.

Tyrsson

Who do you use for hosting? I can not think of any other reason why you can not upload a theme to the themes directory other than file permissions. Also please be sure to upload the entire "main" theme folder into:

yoururl/smf/Themes

In other words the theme must have its own folder to reside in.

rarach

Yeah, that's where I was trying to upload the theme folder.

We are on go daddy, if that's what you meant.

This is on the forum we wanted to test 2.0 with. On our main forum, which is hosted all the same, I can upload files through ftp into the theme folder. So i'm not sure what the issue is.

[edit]

I tried to make a new directory through the cpanel, and it said:

QuoteCreation of /home/talk/public_html/Themes/BlackBox20bp failed because Disk quota exceeded  in /home/talk/public_html/Themes

I'm sorry that this turned out to be such a simple solution. Thanks for your help! :)

Tyrsson

Well the simple solutions are the best ones ;) If this solves your topic you can mark it solved by selecting from the bottom of the thread by the linktree. If you have any further problems or questions please feel free to post them.

rarach

Tyrsson

Advertisement: