News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

is it possible to go from RC1 back to 2.04 beta

Started by AnotherDimension, February 10, 2009, 10:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDimension

is this possible. 2.4RC! wont work right, half the mods that say they are ok for it doesn't work and I have all of my old mods that were uninstalled stuck in my packagemanager and are undeletable....I wish I never installed RC1, why does stuff that worked for 2.04beat not working for RC1 or can I go from RC1 back to 1.18 and if yes, which install package should I use?

karlbenson

The reason for alot of mods not working on SMF 2.x is that there are hundreds of bug fixes and changes between B4 and RC1.

If you download from smf.org the full rc1 upgrade.
And replace all those files over your existing ones.

(you don't need to run upgrade.php again, just delete the upgrade.php and the upgrade related sql files).

That should put you at a base rc1 install. You should be then able to install mods again.

Ambasador

They probably do, but with new stuff coded, some things were not tested as thoroughly as they should be... I also had some problems after upgrading but slowly everything is going back to normal ;)

babjusi

Quote from: AnotherDimension on February 10, 2009, 10:32:17 AM
is this possible. 2.4RC! wont work right, half the mods that say they are ok for it doesn't work and I have all of my old mods that were uninstalled stuck in my packagemanager and are undeletable....I wish I never installed RC1, why does stuff that worked for 2.04beat not working for RC1 or can I go from RC1 back to 1.18 and if yes, which install package should I use?

As stated above, the reason that the mods don''t work after you upgraded to 2.0 RC 1 is the changes between the versions. Try to ask their authors at the mods support thread if they will be willing to upgrade their mods for the 2.0 RC 1.

About rolling back to a lower version, if you have a backup made when you had that version, you can restore it. That is the easiest way, but all your posts,topics,members that have been created/acquired from the time that you upgraded and onwards will be lost.

There is another way to roll back without loosing any info at all, by manually altering the db tables. But that requires a lot of work. And I mean really a lot. I should know cos I have rolled back 3 forums in the past that way.

Rumbaar

So to answer your question "is it possible to go from RC1 back to 2.04 beta", short viable answer, no.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

babjusi

Quote from: Rumbaar on February 25, 2009, 07:09:04 PM
So to answer your question "is it possible to go from RC1 back to 2.04 beta", short viable answer, no.

I disagree. It is very much possible to downgrade to a lower version.

Rumbaar

Yes I never said it was impossible, I said it wasn't a viable option for the OP.  I'm sure the skills required to do such a job, and benefit, would be beyond the skillset of the OP.  Specially if they want to go back to 1.1.x.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

babjusi

Quote from: Rumbaar on February 26, 2009, 04:08:01 PM
Yes I never said it was impossible, I said it wasn't a viable option for the OP.  I'm sure the skills required to do such a job, and benefit, would be beyond the skillset of the OP.  Specially if they want to go back to 1.1.x.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. My bad Rumbaar.

Rumbaar

No need to be sorry, the OP might read your post and consult you in private for a paid job of downgrading their forum.

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: