News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Guests viewing when in maintenance mode

Started by Whelk, February 10, 2009, 01:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whelk

2.0 Beta 4.  I've got my forum in maintenance mode.  I also have the options set so that guests should not be able to view the forum at all (Admin > Configuration > Features and Options > Options > "Allow guests to browse the forum" is unchecked).

However, I have a guest currently viewing boards on the forum.

I've tried logging out myself and viewing the forum to make sure nothing's wrong.  I can't even see the list of boards because the forum is in maintenance mode.

How did this guest manage to get to the boards when it's in maintenance mode and browsing as a guest is disabled?

Whelk

And I now have the guest, whose IP I specifically banned, browsing the forum again.

phpMyTony

He was probably in before you put it in maintenance mode.

Whelk

No, I made sure that after I banned the IP that he was gone while still in maintenance mode.  I was the only one showing up in Who's Online - no guests.  Now he's back.

phpMyTony

karlbenson

They will almost certainly, just be viewing the 'maintenance mode' message.
SMF still logs that they are attempting to view that page though.

Whelk

Took the forum out of Maintenance Mode.  The bot, or whatever it is, keeps showing up in Who's Online, but only ever is reported as looking at the forum index.  I'm guessing the bot just keeps looking at the page telling it that its IP is banned. 

I guess there's no way to shoo it away completely, eh?  So that dang guest is going to be showing up forevermore?

karlbenson

Indeed.

If they are a guest, then its advantageous to see them on the list.
As an admin I'd rather know about them, than not.

Advertisement: