News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

No Image Thumbnails Under Posts

Started by Whelk, February 11, 2009, 04:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whelk

Problem:  Image thumbnails won't show up under the posts they're attached to.  They used to, now they don't.

Notes: 
- SMF v2.0 Beta 4
- You can still click on the image attachment link and download the image.  The images open fine if you download and then open them.
- "Display image attachments as pictures under post" is checked under Admin > Attachments and Avatars > Attachment Settings
- "Resize images when showing under posts" is also checked.
- I recently moved my forum from a hosted server to my own personal web server.  Using Apache2.  I believe the images were showing up for the first few days after the server move, then suddenly stopped.

Any insights?

Tyrsson

Have you added any new attachments since the move?
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Whelk

Not until just now (and I'm feeling a bit sheepish about it).  I just made a new post with an attachment, and the thumbnail is showing up for it.  Previous images (in the same topic) still aren't showing thumbnails.

Tyrsson

WHen you moved the forum did you run the repair_settings or did you reset manually?

Make sure the actual attachment files were moved as well..

Tyrsson

Re read your post and the files were moved if you can download them..

Doing some checking..

Can you provide a link please?

Whelk

I sent you a PM with a link and username/password to use since guests aren't allowed to view anything.  I hope your remaining brain cell can handle it.

Tyrsson

I viewed the source and cant see any apparent reason why they are not showing.. Will have to do some more checking :)

Whelk

Tyrsson

No problem, wish I could think of anything that would help, but as I said I didnt see anything that was obviously out of place... I will keep looking into the subject to see if we can find an answer to it :)

Whelk

Looks like it's a problem with the thumbnail images themselves.  I just tried going to the Attachments folder and opening one and got the following error:

Could not load image '(image-name)'
Fatal error reading PNG image file:  PNG file corrupted by ASCII conversion.

Various other errors are coming up for jpg files.

Apparently the files got corrupted somehow.  Bummer.

Tyrsson

May have been due to a bad ftp transfer if you forced the files to be transferred in a particular format. Most times its best to have yout ftp set to automatically detect those settings.

Whelk

Huh.  So the FTP client could have caused it?  I'm using Filezilla.  Let's see ... annnnd ... yep, there it is. 

Edit > Settings > Transfers > File Types

It was transferring dot files and files without an extension as ASCII.  Unchecked those options, re-downloaded from a backup that I left on the old server, and boom:  The images are showing up properly once again.

You, sir, are brilliant.  I owe you a pizza.  Thanks again for all the help - I'm enjoying expanding my own knowledge on all this stuff.  Hopefully I'll eventually become a helper instead of a helpee.

Tyrsson

Glad you got it sorted out :)

Thanks, but not brilliant... Just have made most of the mistakes that can be made already ;)

Advertisement: