News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

converting from 1.1.7 to 2.0 RC1

Started by Jimi1810, February 12, 2009, 12:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimi1810

If I do a new install of 2.0 RC1 and do all the setup with settings, mods, theme etc is there a way I can then transfer all my members/boards/topics/posts etc from a current 1.1.7 install straight across to this new forum?

Thanks.

babjusi

Quote from: Jimi1810 on February 12, 2009, 12:31:26 PM
If I do a new install of 2.0 RC1 and do all the setup with settings, mods, theme etc is there a way I can then transfer all my members/boards/topics/posts etc from a current 1.1.7 install straight across to this new forum?

Thanks.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=3.0;sort=subject

Jimi1810

That only seems to cover upgrading, I would like to import all my posts/members etc from 1.1.7 in to a clean install of 2.0 which has been completely setup with all the settings/mods/theme etc already, I wasn't sure if this could be done via a backup and restore or something like that.

babjusi

Quote from: Jimi1810 on February 12, 2009, 12:59:32 PM
That only seems to cover upgrading, I would like to import all my posts/members etc from 1.1.7 in to a clean install of 2.0 which has been completely setup with all the settings/mods/theme etc already, I wasn't sure if this could be done via a backup and restore or something like that.

It sounds like an upgrade to me.

greyknight17

Jimi1810, is this issue resolved now?

I suggest upgrading to SMF 2.0RC1 on a test environment first and make the changes there. Once you are satisfied with it, apply it to the live forum or make this one the live one (assuming there's no one who made a post during that time frame).

nilox

Hello there!

Like Jimi810, let's say I have a forum at the moment, with 1.1.7 and I made a new forum with RC1...

How do I direct the "database paths" from the new RC1 forum to the current database which 1.1.7 uses?

It also means that 1.1.7 and RC1 will be sharing the same database, same users, same postings, same boards etc.

Is this possible?

Purpose: So that I can test out RC2 with a database, but without harming the LIVE forum.

Many thanks in advance.

Antechinus

No you cannot do that. There are database changes between 1.1.7 and RC1.

Also doing what you suggested would harm your live forum, because any changes you made on your test site would affect the database for both sites. Very bad idea.

The right way to do it would be to backup your 1.1.7 database and use the backup copy to set up a new 1.1.7 test forum on another database, then upgrade that to RC1.

Advertisement: