News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Recommendations on Video Clips Please

Started by Cheese Head, February 13, 2009, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheese Head

I have a few members who have requested to add video files to their posts so that they can preferrably be displayed in the post.

I've read several other threads on this and understand that:
1) It is better to get members to upload their video clip on to another service (YouTube etc) so that it reduces bandwidth from my host server.
2) I should then install and set up Aeva Mod?

Questions:
1) Is my understanding correct?
2) Why can't users just upload their small clips to my host server which is Hostgator.com who says they have unlimited bandwidth?
3) If I went with uploading to my site, what Mod should I install to enable users to view the video clip?

Thanks in advance . . . John.

karlbenson

AEVA mod is gr8.

Hostgator does NOT offer unlimited bandwidth. They are an overseller.
If your on their cheapest plan, once you start using a fraction of what was PROMISED, they will suspend your account and try to get you to either upgrade, or find another host.

Cheese Head

regularexpression thanks for the info . . . that is not good.

I have installed AEVA and works great. Sounds like I should should leave it that way and not allow people to install video clips on my forum.

FYI, I'm on their middle plan. Just for info, what's an  overseller?

Thanks for advice.

Rumbaar

Try a Google search on 'overseller' for more info.  But an overseller is usually a smaller service that tried to market their services as unlimited (which can never be the case) and not have the resources to back up their claims.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Cheese Head

Thanks Ruumbaar, I'll advice members to post their video clips on Youtube etc and link to them.

Advertisement: