News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problem with backup

Started by nabsim, February 15, 2009, 12:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nabsim

Hi peeps,

We have had a forum running on xsorbit for a few years as a paid for option. We weren't entirely happy with it but felt we did not have the knowledge to make a move without loosing all our data. This decission was taken from us when the xsorbit board stopped working in January. We thought we were lucky because we had a backup of the forum from the day before it disappeared but now we are not so sure.

I have installed a wenserver on a local machine and got an SMP forum up and running, (wanted to see what to do before hosting it) but am unable to import the backup. The backup file is in the format forumname_yyyy-mm-dd.sql.gz. Gzip says it is not a Gzip file and WinRar says it is either an unknown format or corrupt. If I try and import it using phpMyAdmin it fails with lots of errors.

So now for my questions:
Does it look like we have lost all our data with a corrupt backup, (all the backups give the same result, not just the latest)?
Do I need to extract the .gz file using something other than Gzip, Winrar or Bzip, (tried that as well)?
Anyone got any other ideas I can try?

Many thanks

Neil

ThorstenE

WinRar can extract a .gz file. Sorry, but I think your backup file is corrupt.

nabsim

Quote from: TE on February 15, 2009, 01:08:55 PM
WinRar can extract a .gz file. Sorry, but I think your backup file is corrupt.

You are confirming my thoughts, I just wanted a second opinion becuase it the same thing with more than one backup

bpratt

I have just noticed my forums are not being gzipped correctly, as the downloaded backup is 0 bytes in size.

There have been no other changes on the server that would've caused this.

/bin/gzip seems to be working fine.

ThorstenE

bpratt, this is our converters board. please start a new topic on our Support boards.

Thank you.

Advertisement: