Incomplete Upgrade from 1.1.8 to 2.0 RC1?

Started by allend, February 15, 2009, 03:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allend

I saw some things I liked in 2.0 RC1, so I downloaded smf_2-0-rc1_upgrade.zip and I used Filezilla to upload to the server.   I ran the installer, and the board runs just fine, but I seem to be lacking a lot of admin functions.  Many of the flyout lists are empty and, for example, the error report is just plain missing. 

I was discussing this at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=291371.msg1918800#msg1918800, but of course I am no longer using 1.18, so am asking here.

What should I do?  Install again over the current  2.0 RC1, using the same download?  Did I have an error uploading?  How would I know?  Is there a flaw in the upgrade files from 1.1.8 to  2.0 RC1?

As I say, the users have no issues -- so far, at least, but as admin, I do.  The board is a private board, so I am not posting the URL at this time).

greyknight17

Confirm that the error log is missing. Go to Admin > Forum Maintenance > Logs and see if Error Log is there (should be first option). Remember that there are many changes from SMF 1.1.x to SMF 2.0 and the admin settings have been moved around a little and extra options have been added as well.

allend

Thanks. It is missing.  There are no options in that box. All I see is

------
| | | 
Optimize tables, make backups, check for errors, and prune boards with these tools.
-----

Next box is "Optimize all tables" and it does have a button.  The rest look OK, too.
-----

Optimize all tables
This task allows you to optimize all tables. This will get rid of overhead, effectively making the tables smaller in size and your forum faster!

Backup Database
Save the table structure.
Save the table data (the important stuff).
Compress the file with gzip.

Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters
This function will convert all characters that are stored in the database as HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters. This is especially useful when you have just converted your forum from a character set like ISO-8859-1 while non-latin characters were used on the forum. The browser then sends all characters as HTML-entities. For example, the HTML-entity α represents the greek letter α (alpha). Converting entities to UTF-8 will improve searching and sorting of text and reduce storage size.

-------

Under "Maintenance in the side panel, the error report is missing, too.

allend

This problem has not gone away and I have no clue what to do and I'm puzzled by the lack of response.   Is this too difficult a problem?  Or is it too obvious for the experienced members to address?

Is anyone else seeing this?  Can I just install again over the current installation?  Is the upgrade package from 1.1.8 to V2 flawed?

John Eric

i have problem too :(
I am not sick for I put back the forum but I have concern to upgrade from 1.18 to the new.
greetings

Antechinus

Allend, can I just confirm that you used the large upgrade pack rather than the small upgrade or the rc1 update packs?

If you got the wrong one this could account for some of your problems.

Alternatively it is possible the file overwrites didn't take properly. In that case uploading them again should deal with the problem. Do not upload upgrade.php again as that shouldn't be needed.

allend

Thanks.

smf_2-0-rc1_upgrade.zip was the package and there was an upgrade fro 1.18 to 2 in the package and that is what I used.

I used Filezilla to upload to the server. Did not see any errors, and filezilla has always been fine in the past.

Are you saying I can copy over without damage?

(For some reason I am not getting notifications when this topic gets replies).

John Eric

Quote from: allend on February 18, 2009, 03:22:25 PM
This problem has not gone away and I have no clue what to do and I'm puzzled by the lack of response.   Is this too difficult a problem?  Or is it too obvious for the experienced members to address?

Is anyone else seeing this?  Can I just install again over the current installation?  Is the upgrade package from 1.1.8 to V2 flawed?

yes.

there is flaw

allend

It sure looks like it.  I downloaded several packages and compared.  Something is missing.

Antechinus

You can copy over files without damage. The most it would do is uninstall any mods. Apart from that it would just give you a clean RC1 installation.

What exactly do you think may be missing?

allend

QuoteWhat exactly do you think may be missing?

I thought I explained all that clearly above.

John Eric

an error is that SMF2 wont work with SMF1 template but if you use a specific template, so when you convert, you can not work because you do not have a template
SMF2 when the upgrade is complete, it must include a SMF2 template and make it DEFAULT or site wont work

allend

Thanks for the reply, but I have no idea what you mean.

I has a working 1.18 site with no mods, using the default theme and went to the Simple Machines site and downloaded the package that seemed to be appropriate, unzipped it and uplaoded, ran the upgrade and it seemed to run OK until the end.  At that point I noticed there was no farewell button or anything, but it otherwise seemed complete.

I then looked it over and from the user viewpoint it looked fine, so I went to "Admin" and found many of the functions absent.  I did the upload again with no improvement.  I then downloaded another package and looked at it.  It did not seem much different and I did not see any folder that I would have though contained admin functions.

Now, one thing I should mention is that I chose the zip packages.  Could it be that developers always use the tar versions and have forgotten the zips?

I don't know and am not technical, nor do I wish to be -- I chose Simple Machines because it is -- simple or was until now.

I can provide screen shots of the missing functions if that helps.

Anyhow, what is this 'template' of which you speak?

Antechinus

Quote from: allend on February 19, 2009, 08:08:14 AM
QuoteWhat exactly do you think may be missing?

I thought I explained all that clearly above.
When you said "something is definitely missing" I thought you meant you had spotted something missing from the upgrade pack.

Question: what language are you running on your forum? Before and after the upgrade?
Missing language strings would give the effects you mention in your OP.

allend

Everything is plain vanilla -- English, defaults all around one gif changed to reflect the site.

Yes, I imagine something must be missing in the zip package.

I see you are a hero.  PM me if you like and I'll send you screenshots or admin access and you can take a look for yourself.

Antechinus

I'm not sure I'd be able to figure this one out. If the files have been overwritten more than once and the language is default English (not English UTF-8, which is different) then I'm stumped at the moment. I'll raise this in the team board and see if anyone else has some ideas.

allend

OK.  You mentioned something about UTF-8. 

Under maintenance there were a few things that worked after the 'upgrade' and I ran them all. 

Seems one was
---
Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters

This function will convert all characters that are stored in the database as HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters. This is especially useful when you have just converted your forum from a character set like ISO-8859-1 while non-latin characters were used on the forum. The browser then sends all characters as HTML-entities. For example, the HTML-entity α represents the greek letter α (alpha). Converting entities to UTF-8 will improve searching and sorting of text and reduce storage size.
--

I ran everything on the page, including that, (whatever it is)...

allend

What files provide the flyouts and the options in admin?

If I knew that, I could look for them.

---

Oh, and when is the next release?  Maybe I can wait until then and maybe it will fix things.

Antechinus

Those are controlled in several files and it's rather convoluted. Running the maintenance option wouldn't affect those files anyway, but you shouldn't have done it if you're not running UTF-8. It would affect forum content, not the contents of the admin menus.

Xylar2

I seemed to get problems from 2.0 RC1 Mass Upgrade package too. Download the Clean Install for 2.0 RC1 and upload and overwrite everything inside except for 'Settings.php', 'Settings_bak.php', and 'install.php'. This should work hopefully. Hopefully.

Advertisement: