News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Twenty-four things you can do to make SMF go faster (Updated June 16th, 2010)

Started by Vekseid, February 16, 2009, 06:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Good call, Cal.

Btw, point 11 - there is now a GUI for this in 2.0 RC2.

Vekseid

Quote from: Cal O'Shaw on November 10, 2009, 12:39:09 PM
Hi,

If you don't mind the suggestion, when you add or adjust suggestions in the lead post, could you indicate the date the changes or additions are made.  It would make it a lot easier to locate the new tips.

Grazie mille!

Cal

Sorry, went through and added addition dates.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Private/Instant Message requests for free support will be ignored.

aED

Quote from: Vekseid on November 17, 2009, 02:15:34 PM
Quote from: Cal O'Shaw on November 10, 2009, 12:39:09 PM
Hi,

If you don't mind the suggestion, when you add or adjust suggestions in the lead post, could you indicate the date the changes or additions are made.  It would make it a lot easier to locate the new tips.

Grazie mille!

Cal

Sorry, went through and added addition dates.

Thanks now its easier to check which one is new :)

Dewed

I did the INNODB conversion last night, as well as the flood control table to memory on a pretty large and active forum.  I was expecting the INNODB conversion to take MUCH longer to complete. Most were under 15 seconds though. 

The only adverse reaction could of been avoided by omitting
DELETE FROM smf_log_mark_read;     Considering the speed the other tables were converted, I'm thinking this would have gone pretty fast as well.

Either way, thanks for the info, it really has improved performance noticeably.

Something like that

Quote from: Dewed on November 21, 2009, 01:25:53 PM
I did the INNODB conversion last night, as well as the flood control table to memory on a pretty large and active forum.  I was expecting the INNODB conversion to take MUCH longer to complete. Most were under 15 seconds though. 

The only adverse reaction could of been avoided by omitting
DELETE FROM smf_log_mark_read;     Considering the speed the other tables were converted, I'm thinking this would have gone pretty fast as well.

On a big forum, that table will be several gigabytes in size, and will take a significant amount of time to convert. All the other tables are small in comparison.

Personally, I don't think it's cool to run "DELETE FROM smf_log_mark_read;" and wouldn't put it in the instructions. It's a great annoyance to the users.

And do be sure to adjust your innodb_buffer_pool_size as mentioned above.

Something like that

Vekseid,

Can you please add this post to the first post? It contains all the queries needed to convert the TinyTexts in SMF 1.1.

Thanks to Keeper for doing the hard work.

Trinot

Hey guys
I am trying to do #1
When I get to the part where I am supposed to access index.php?action=manageattachments;sa=moveAvatars , I get redirected to index.php?action=manageattachments;sa=maintenance . So how can I move the avatars over to the new directory?

Thanks!

Vekseid

Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

neetusharma

This is a good writeup with the informative and experienced details. I should not take much time thinking about this and will tell my circle of friends to go through this ASAP. Thanks really to compile such valuable information in a sensible manner :)

cultureco

I
Sorry for my english

I read with attention the first post of this page: Get rid of Text tables.

Actualy, I am on SMF 2.0 RC1.2. In my sql log, I can read many long querries and I wonder how I can make desapear this one :
(

# Query_time: 167 Lock_time: 0 Rows_sent: 20000 Rows_examined: 356822
SELECT t.id_topic, t.num_replies, t.num_views, t.id_board,
m.subject, IFNULL(mem.real_name, m.poster_name) as poster, b.name,
m.poster_time as first_time, mes.poster_time
FROM smf_topics as t
INNER JOIN smf_messages as m ON (m.id_msg = t.id_first_msg)
INNER JOIN smf_boards as b ON (b.id_board = t.id_board)
INNER JOIN smf_messages as mes ON (mes.id_msg = t.id_last_msg)
LEFT JOIN smf_members as mem ON (mem.id_member = t.id_member_started)
WHERE (FIND_IN_SET(-1, b.member_groups))
ORDER BY m.poster_time DESC
LIMIT 0, 20000;

I also have many errors (95% of all my errors) like this one. How can i do to make it desepear ?

# Query_time: 2  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 20000  Rows_examined: 356862
SELECT t.id_topic, t.num_replies, t.num_views, t.id_board,
      m.subject, IFNULL(mem.real_name, m.poster_name) as poster, b.name,
      m.poster_time as first_time, mes.poster_time
      FROM smf_topics as t
         INNER JOIN smf_messages as m ON (m.id_msg = t.id_first_msg)
         INNER JOIN smf_boards as b ON (b.id_board = t.id_board)
         INNER JOIN smf_messages as mes ON (mes.id_msg = t.id_last_msg)
         LEFT JOIN smf_members as mem ON (mem.id_member = t.id_member_started)
      WHERE (FIND_IN_SET(-1, b.member_groups))
      ORDER BY m.poster_time DESC
      LIMIT 0, 20000;

Vekseid

vbgamer45

Not sure what these have to do with Staff mod probably best is make a new post in the SMF 2.0 forum.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

nza2k

Hi,

I juste fllowed some of your recommandations and it seems to work. My forum loads faster.

Thank you very much !
Avis sur les voyagistes dans le forum de Voyage-Net, propulsé par SMF depuis des années :)

lloydb

Quote from: Vekseid on February 16, 2009, 06:29:50 AMIf your webserver compresses the type of data you use to serve your webpages, you should specifically disable this, as the webserver can better handle it.

This seems to be a wording mistake is it? Problems understanding it anyway.

Arantor

No, it's saying disable SMF's own compressed output if the webserver does it instead.

Lazy

would it be an idea to use pbxt storage engine as innodb replacement (?)

petb

After moving the Avatars to the New Avatars Upload Dir, the function attachDirStatus() which counts the files in the attachment dir doesnt make sense, because it gets the whole amount of files, (Attachments and avatars) and then it gives the status Files Missing in the Status Field from the manageattachment Section.

I described my experience here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=373728.msg2562257#msg2562257

So the Function who gives attachDirStatus() the estimated files count should decrease the amount with the amount of the moved avatars.

PetB

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Vekseid

May 26th, 2010 Note - I recently made an attempt at converting my main forum's personal messages, shoutbox messages, and messages tables to InnoDB. This was a mistake. I've kept the messages table converted - it reduces locking incidents - but *nix in general does a pretty good job of caching disk reads for MyISAM tables. If all that happens is insert and delete, don't fret over it.

Advertisement: