News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Announcing a new look for SMF 2.0: Curve

Started by bloc, February 16, 2009, 03:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiroyvH

I have no clue what you are talking about Fustrate.
Where did you ever raise the suggestion that u knew about a new theme? ^o)
And the whole thing about signature images... :P

Nice job guys!
It really looks good :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Fustrate

:) I have no idea where, CoreISP!

Question: Does this use pretty much the same code as the current default? Specifically, will most mods that install on the current default install on this one, and not be fussy like Classic and Babylon?
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

klaus3

Topic display seems like a phpbb3 default theme clone... 

青山 素子

Quote from: Fustrate on February 17, 2009, 12:16:00 AM
Question: Does this use pretty much the same code as the current default? Specifically, will most mods that install on the current default install on this one, and not be fussy like Classic and Babylon?

No. Modifications will need to be written to handle the theme. Since this will be the new default, I don't think it will be a big problem. The whole point is to make it easier to do custom themes so they won't need custom edits for installing modifications.

Quote from: klaus3 on February 17, 2009, 12:40:25 AM
phpbb3 clone.

In what way?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Antechinus

Quote from: Sverre on February 16, 2009, 08:25:08 PM
Congratulations!

No matter how nice it may look, it's impossible to judge a book by its cover, so any substantial evaluation will have to wait until RC2 is released and we - or more specifically, gurus like deathshadow (unless he's already been enlisted to help polish Curve's code that is) - get a chance to play around with the new theme and see what's hidden underneath the hood, so to speak :)
Funny you should mention that. He was making so much noise I figured we ought to put him to work. The guys agreed so he's in and he's busy. We should end up with a better product for it.

QuoteJudging by the screen shots, it seems like Curve will bring a much needed fresh look to SMF though. The skin appears to introduce some very nice details and ideas, which I can hardly wait to see in action, but I also see a few things I don't like quite as much - such as the images in the drop down menus for example. If people want unnecessary images to interfere with their forum navigation, I don't see why it can't be left to be added by a MOD instead of cluttering up an otherwise (seemingly) pretty sleek looking default theme???
That's entirely personal preference. My 2c is that I hate plain box drop menus and I'd be hassling Bloc if he tried to use them. Can't stand the things. You wouldn't attempt to do an entire theme without images so why stop at the drop menus when you can make them look classier with no penalty in terms of functionality? Of course they'll be easy to customise anyway so if you don't like the images simply remove them. No problem.

QuoteObviously, this is still a work in progress, so the following comments, thoughts and suggestions may have already been addressed/discussed.

• In the screen shots, there is an inconsistency in the use of rounded and square corners between different templates (i.e. the "containers" wrapping each board on Board Index have square corners, same goes for topics on Message Index and the sections of the Administration Center, while posts and information boxes in Display and Profile Information respectively have rounded corners).
  • The "Administration Center" heading uses a light blue background gradient, while other similar headings, such as the "Summary" heading from Profile Information uses the common dark blue gradient.
  • Because of the different background colour, locked topics attract too much attention compared to regular topics. Personally, I much prefer the visual distinction used to signal locked topics in the theme currently used here (grey text).
  • I've never been a fan of the styling of the "quote", "modify", etc. links in posts, with the superfluous images accompanying them. Maybe it could be an idea to use the same/a similar styling to what's used on the mod_buttons array?
As you say it's still WIP. For instance the quote containers and polls are being styled to match the post backgrounds (meaning rounded corners) and no doubt there will be extra changes that nobody has thought of yet. On the other hand rounded corners could be overdone and end up looking silly so they wont be everywhere, just where they look good.

All ideas are welcome at this stage and there are quite a few being kicked around behind the scenes. 

Özgür

Very nice! Looking good..

Quote from: Bloc on February 16, 2009, 03:28:03 PM

Curve is tentatively scheduled to be available with the release of SMF 2.0 RC2.  While we currently do not have a timeframe for RC2's release, we continue to work diligently to finish it as soon as possible.

Is soon really soon ???  =)
So Long

Deaks

I agree its a very nice theme and seeing it improve over time has been great... also I disagree with the point of a template file looks like a phpbb clone.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

bloc

Quote from: Project Evolution on February 16, 2009, 06:13:18 PM
That looks so cool! Now its ok to use the defualt theme. xD
By the way, would it be possible creating a theme like this for 1.1.x versions?

At this point that hasn't been looked at. If it did work its way to SMF 1.1 it will surely not be so complete there, seeing it changes every template in SMF2.

Jeel

6aro

akbora

very very good theme, and we can't  wait till tomorrow...

thanks
SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

Angelotus

Kermit

My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

exxocet

Halleluja! Finally a theme that doesn't look like a brick. Bravo guys, it looks nice!

DeathSign

Özgür

QuoteIn the screen shots, there is an inconsistency in the use of rounded and square corners between different templates (i.e. the "containers" wrapping each board on Board Index have square corners, same goes for topics on Message Index and the sections of the Administration Center, while posts and information boxes in Display and Profile Information respectively have rounded corners).
If this true and rounded corners for images, this is not good. :(
Because rounded corners not useful.
Etc: i want the change background color, i must the change all back images and corner images.. Am i right?
So Long

bloc

Quote from: Özgür´ on February 17, 2009, 06:25:11 AM
QuoteIn the screen shots, there is an inconsistency in the use of rounded and square corners between different templates (i.e. the "containers" wrapping each board on Board Index have square corners, same goes for topics on Message Index and the sections of the Administration Center, while posts and information boxes in Display and Profile Information respectively have rounded corners).
If this true and rounded corners for images, this is not good. :(
Because rounded corners not useful.
Etc: i want the change background color, i must the change all back images and corner images.. Am i right?

Indeed, thats a valid question. And no, you won't need to change more than 3-4 images, as they are re-used. We are also constructing a theme kit to help with changing of those graphics.

In addition you can easily turn off background images in CSS if thats suits you better.

pheadrus

It's the best news I heart from SMF :D
Thanx a lot..

Özgür

@Bloc, Thanks for quick answer.  I see.
And separately thanks for this theme.
So Long

Alan G

Aha! congrats all on this. Pleased to see a new default theme looking so close to ready. That might just mean i can start moving to 2 pretty soon! I've been holding off for months as people keep saying expect major theme changes before it goes final. This would explain everything!

Advertisement: