News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

import members list

Started by hgoofy, February 17, 2009, 05:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgoofy

hello,
I would like to use SMF as forum for a sailing-club. All members are listed in a xxx.csv file with name, address, password, email .....
Is it possible to import this file to SMF into members-list? All this members should be included in a group, maybe called clubmembers.
I am shure, there is a solution, but I didn't find.
Thanks in advance

p41j

Quote from: hgoofy on February 17, 2009, 05:01:33 PM
hello,
I would like to use SMF as forum for a sailing-club. All members are listed in a xxx.csv file with name, address, password, email .....
Is it possible to import this file to SMF into members-list? All this members should be included in a group, maybe called clubmembers.
I am shure, there is a solution, but I didn't find.
Thanks in advance

Depends on what your are wanting, you can make differant member groups with bages or just titles.

hgoofy

Hello,
I think, you misunderstood me.
Lots of people asked similar questions in this forum.
In principle I know how to do the job to transfer a Excel or csv-file to SMF database:

In case one has a file with username; password; email:
1. make a hashcode from user,password with the hash.function from SMF
2. make a file with username;hash_passwd;hash_salt;email
3. with phpMaAdmin import this file to db members

Sounds easy, isn't it?

But, how can one do the hashing? I think one is needing a script with the hashing function of SMF.

With such a script the job can be really easy:
1. Have a file containing usename;passwd;email (maybe additional usergroups;permissins etc)
2. run the script
3. the script outputs a file containing a list of username;hash-passwd;hash_salt?;(+additional)
4. import this file to db members.
5. done

So many users were asking for such function, but no answer yet.
Best would be to have a mod "import csv to SMF members".

Thanks for any help.

ThorstenE

you don't need a password/salt hash. You can insert a clear-text password in the "passwd" column. SMF can read most encrypted and even clear-text passwords.

btw, howto insert users from a .csv based file:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=249447.msg1614126#msg1614126

jeffbat

I can't find a clear answer to this question either and followed the previous link.  I too have a csv file of my members username, email and passwords and simply want to import it into my forum so that I don't have to type out and register all of my members individually.  Can someone please provide me simple instructions to do this?  Thanks!

ThorstenE

can you attach a sample .csv please? something like

username, email, password
user1, [email protected], password1

when reading files the delimiter (in the above example a comma) and the data-rows are important.

hgoofy

Quote from: TE on February 19, 2009, 07:35:59 AM
you don't need a password/salt hash. You can insert a clear-text password in the "passwd" column. SMF can read most encrypted and even clear-text passwords.

Many thanks, this is the key I was looking for.

Advertisement: