News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF Quiz

Started by Diego Andrés, February 18, 2009, 01:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4everBlue

I upgraded to the new version, and now all quizzes hang and will not load.
I don't have fancybox installed, so what else could it be clashing with?

Dave J

Quote from: quiz_modder on April 13, 2019, 06:09:23 AM
Wow, haven't logged on here for many years and can't believe the mod is still being used and is (to some extent) working. Hope you're enjoying it.

I installed it on my brothers site a few years ago and it's still working, running on 2.0.15

http://www.gardenguru.co.uk
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Dave J

Quote from: 4everBlue on April 13, 2019, 06:40:17 AM
I upgraded to the new version, and now all quizzes hang and will not load.
I don't have fancybox installed, so what else could it be clashing with?

If I recall rightly there might have been issues with Java script...but don't hold me to that, not sure what the fix was as it's so long ago but if you trawl through this thread you might find something.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Dave J

Quote from: palmdoc on February 19, 2019, 06:36:24 PM
Anyone know a working site where one can download quizzes?

I'm not sure which quizzes you have installed but the ones in the link in my signature are the ones I've had since the start of this back in 2011

4everBlue

Biology Forums

Has anyone tried installing this on 2.1?

How difficult will it be to port to 2.1?

maximus23

Quote from: Study Force on April 16, 2019, 04:32:26 PM
Has anyone tried installing this on 2.1?

Yes 2.1 RC2 :)

It is installed on my forum. Php Version 7.1

Quote from: Study Force on April 16, 2019, 04:32:26 PM
How difficult will it be to port to 2.1?

This mod needs a major update.

What is the current license of this module?

:)
Pas de support par PM ou Courrier...Veuillez utiliser le forum pour vous avoir une réponse rapide à votre demande d'aide. Merci.
Amitiés et à Bientôt...
No support by PM or Mail...You will get better and faster responses in the support forums. Thank you.
Have a nice day...

Biology Forums

^^ I'm assuming you didn't use the package manager

maximus23

Quote from: Study Force on April 17, 2019, 07:41:25 PM
I use the package manager for my personal use.

Otherwise each update of Smf is very complex.

If the mod is not copyleft the redistribution is prohibited.

Pas de support par PM ou Courrier...Veuillez utiliser le forum pour vous avoir une réponse rapide à votre demande d'aide. Merci.
Amitiés et à Bientôt...
No support by PM or Mail...You will get better and faster responses in the support forums. Thank you.
Have a nice day...

Arantor

The mod is not obviously copyleft that I can see though I have no desire to go through 50 pages to see if there was a comment suggesting a licence.

Dave J

Its been through two people.

It started with quiz_modder, as everyone knows, who said that Emanuelle could update it some time back that's as far as it's been.

I do know there is a post, in the thread, from quiz_modder giving anyone who wants to update it permission. I'm not aware that Emanuelle took actual ownership of it. So maybe that's enough if someone else wants to have a go.

Just found this fron 11th September 2013

Quote from: quiz_modder on September 11, 2013, 03:03:01 PM
Quote from: Kindred on July 03, 2013, 02:17:17 PM
(and, I believe that the original author of this mod released the code into the public domain)

Yes, I did

Arantor

Unfortunately it's not really enough in the context we're talking about here.

Software licensing is a horrendously complicated thing (anyone who was here went SMF 1.1 with its custom licence transitioned SMF 2.0 with its BSD licence might have been aware), and its author giving permission to update it doesn't really quite cut it :(

Technically, any mod without an explicit licence automatically falls under copyright law which includes no automatic right to be redistributed or modified. This is tempered on the one hand by the fact that if you upload it with what amounts to a fairly clear implication of 'this will be made available to people' you probably don't have *that* much legal recourse if you come back 5 years later and claim you didn't know and now want to sue everyone for breach of copyright.

Updating is a lot more complicated because you get into the mess of 'this is now legally speaking a work with multiple authors and multiple implied copyrights'. While it's *probably* fine, and the permission being written in-thread does simplify it, it's still not entirely clear cut (e.g. in the event of a vulnerability in a mod causing a site to be hacked) there's also a lack of warranties protecting the original author who in that situation could theoretically be sued. It's... not great. (And also why SMF has a BSD licence, explicitly citing a lack of warranty.)

In practical terms, someone tweaking it and posting it here as an attachment is probably fine, though that's ultimately an SMF team decision (I don't know what current policy is), but this is why current policy is to try to insist on all mods having licences, explicitly to prevent this kind of problem being a problem.

Biology Forums

Quote from: maximus23 on April 17, 2019, 11:08:50 PM
Quote from: Study Force on April 17, 2019, 07:41:25 PM
I use the package manager for my personal use.

Otherwise each update of Smf is very complex.

If the mod is not copyleft the redistribution is prohibited.

Not sure I understand. When you installed the quiz mod on 2.1, did you install it manually? Do you mind providing a link to your 2.1 website displaying it in action?

maximus23

Quote from: Arantor on April 18, 2019, 12:07:41 PM
In practical terms, someone tweaking it and posting it here as an attachment is probably fine, though that's ultimately an SMF team decision (I don't know what current policy is), but this is why current policy is to try to insist on all mods having licences, explicitly to prevent this kind of problem being a problem.
Hi,

What is the team's position on this issue?

Did the license go into the public domain or not following the author's statement on this subject?

Quote from: Study Force
When you installed the quiz mod on 2.1, did you install it manually?

No via the "Packages Manager" :)

Quote from: Study Force
Do you mind providing a link to your 2.1

See my profile :)

Amitiés et à Bientôt...
Have a nice day...

Biology Forums

I tried the package manager using SMF 2.1, only to see a ton of errors show up.

I checked it out on your website. The mod is completely broken on mobile view. This addon needs a complete rewrite to accommodate smaller screens. It's unusable in today's internet standards.

Dave J

Quote from: Study Force on April 22, 2019, 11:52:14 AM

I checked it out on your website. The mod is completely broken on mobile view. This addon needs a complete rewrite to accommodate smaller screens. It's unusable in today's internet standards.

I tried to install it on my 2.1 test site and although I could edit some of the errors the index.css was difficult and when I eventually got it installed (emulating 2.0) there was a database table error, it was at that point I gave up as I didn't have the time to carry on

maximus23

Quote from: Study Force on April 22, 2019, 11:52:14 AM

No, the site is not optimized for mobiles and this will not be done until the final version 2.1 of Smf. It's just for testing.

If you can't use the license, it's useless, you have to start all over again or no sharing is possible.

Amitiés et à Bientôt...
Have a nice day...

Dave J

For all those following this thread, I have found the images folder for the quizzes. I have now added this to the download.

There is a database table included, which will add categories for you also, but only use this on a fresh install, unless you know a way to merge the new table with your existing table. (If you don't merge them you might mess up your exisiting setup, so please be warned)

If anyone wants to see what the quiz looks like on SMF 2.0.15 then go to the 'Site' link below. It's a test site for the quiz only and guests can see it and go through the categories etc but the games cannot actually be played.

The reason I did this is to give everyone an idea of what the questions/images/categories all look like before deciding if they want to install it on their own site. Please also note that this is a fresh install on SMF 2.0.15, using the default theme, and has no other mods installed and there were no errors on installation, so if you go ahead and see install failures then it will probably be because the files it's trying to modify have already been changed by other mods. I cannot help you with any install failures.

A brief walkthrough for the way I installed it all;

1. Upload the quiz mod and install.
        2. Extract the file downloaded from my host.
        3. Find 'Themes/default/images/quiz_images/Questions'
        4. Upload all the images in the extracted 'Questions' folder on your PC to the site 'Questions' folder and do the same for the 'Quizes' folders to.
        5. Access your database tables and delete the 'smf_quiz_category' table. (I use PhpMyAdmin in my cPanel to do this, yours might be different)
        6. Now open 'Quiz Category table.txt' file with something like NotePad++ and copy everything
        7. Now go back to your database and 'Run SQL query on database' and add the copied table, then click on OK to run the query...this should add those tables to your database. What that will do is add the 'Categories' (including the images) to the quiz.
        8. Now go into the 'Quiz Admin' go to 'Quiz Importer' and start to add the quizzes that are in the *.xml files in the main 'QuizPackagesUpdated05.05.19' folder.

Once you have added the quizzes they should automatically be added to the correct Category and the whole things should look like my test site.

I hope that helps some of you to get this Quiz up and running on your sites.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: maximus23 on April 22, 2019, 07:01:01 AM
Quote from: Arantor on April 18, 2019, 12:07:41 PM
Hi,

What is the team's position on this issue?

Did the license go into the public domain or not following the author's statement on this subject?
If the author has said it's in the public domain, then it is fine. For anything else (ex: someone taking over the mod), we'd need explicit permission from the author.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Biology Forums

Is there an option that allows guests to take quizzes?

Advertisement: