News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

As I Am Having..

Started by mattchewone, February 19, 2009, 02:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattchewone

..Problems with my Forum as i upgraded from 2.0beta to RC1 and there are a few issues.

If i download the full version of RC1 and install it, can i transfer the database across? If so will this take the mods along with it or will i need to install again? Ideally i would like to install again as they are causing issues.

Many Thanks

Matt

Xylar2

1. Upload the fresh install of RC1, but delete install.php rather than run it. Then download 'repair_settings.php' and upload to the root of your forum and run it. Change the database name, server etc to how the old one was. Also 'repair' all the other things making sure you do the 'recommended value'. This should fresh install while keeping your database.
2. It will not transfer any mods, so you need to install them again.

mattchewone

That's fantastic, thank you very much.

Xylar2

Quote from: mattchewone on February 19, 2009, 03:13:57 PM
That's fantastic, thank you very much.

No problem. Let me know of any problems you run into.

mattchewone

We have done as you said almost. My dad installed the full RC1 and transfered across the database, it is all fresh no packages.

But there is still 3 avatars being displayed in posts. My dad thinks that it is database related some how so we are searching for the problem asap.

Xylar2

That's because they are avatars linked to from another site (eg, photobucket). The dad is right, saying the database has something to do with it, because the database has those 'external avatars' URLs saved in the user IDs. Easy way to get rid of them is just edit their profile and remove the link. Unless external avatars are ok...

mattchewone

The users avatars were original being sent from photobucket so i deleted them thinking this was the problem. I then decided to try out one of the avatars in the package i downloaded and installed. Still three are being displayed.

What i cant understand is that we run a fresh install and moved the database across, how are the avatars still installed? Are they in the database?

Why cant i stop 3 from being displayed this is really starting to irritate me.

My dad thinks its an error in the database which is forcing the avatars to be displayed 3 times, somewhere.

Xylar2

mattchewone

On my computer or on the forum?

Tried on computer and forum, and used a different pc. Still having 3 avatars displayed.

Xylar2

Wow real strange. Can I have a link to your forum so I can check it out myself? I don't mind if you want to PM me.

mattchewone

No its fine its in my signature its - www.ppforums.co.uk

Xylar2

Oh XD, I can't believe I didn't see that. OK, after having a look, I now know what you were talking about 0_o. I though that it was 3 members and they all still had avatars. I'm not sure about this, maybe someone else might. Sorry, but glad your forums work again anyway :-)

Dragooon

Can you attach your Display.template.php? Is it a totally unmodified fresh SMF 2 RC 1 install?

mattchewone

Dragoon -  I can attach it later on when i finish work in about 6 or so hours.

But yes it is a fresh install, no mods or nothing. All we did was install a full RC1 and transfered the database across.

Thank you Xlyar2 for your help. I really hope someone can help

mattchewone

here is the file you requsted.

Xylar2

I took a look at that and it is ok. Could you attach Display.php from Sources?

mattchewone

Here is Display.php for you to look at.

Thanks for your help so far hopefully we can find the problem soon.

mattchewone

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Also before the fresh install i had the "new in topic" mod when we transfered the database across to the new install, this mod has come across and now it displays 3 new in topic imgs. It wasnt showing up in the packages so i thought i would install it to see if it fixed it but it made it show up 4 imgs.

Is there a way i can pick out the members, topics, messages from the database and import just those in to a new database and RC1 without transferring across any muddle up modifications??

mattchewone

Anyone else able to help?

Thanks

Matt

mattchewone

Still having problems, any help is VERY much appreciated!

Advertisement: